Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Send a message via Skype™ to Yamahuh
Looks like West is out of a ride...

Melandri confirms Kawasaki move for 2009
Tuesday, 19 August 2008

Italian MotoGP star Marco Melandri has told motogp.com that he will ride for Kawasaki next season.

Although he still remains focussed on completing the 2008 campaign with current employees Ducati Marlboro, former 250cc World Champion Marco Melandri has revealed that he is to join Kawasaki at the end of this season.

Following his move to the Ducati factory team from satellite outfit Honda Gresini last winter Melandri has experienced an abrupt downturn in form and it was confirmed last month that he would not stay with the Italian manufacturers beyond 2008.

Since then Melandri has been in discussions with other teams and has made his mind up that Kawasaki is the right move.

Speaking to motogp.com on the second and final day of the post-Cardion ab Grand Prix Ceske republiky test on Tuesday Melandri commented, `I hope to get good results in the last six races of 2008 and after that I am moving to another team. I will ride for Kawasaki next year so it´s a big change for me.´

`For the time being I want to think about this season but it will be a big challenge next year. I will keep working hard though and I am quite confident.´

Explaining why he had chosen Kawasaki in particular he added, `(John) Hopkins is a very good rider and maybe he needs a stronger team-mate to be a little bit more motivated. Maybe I also need this kind of company to be motivated a little bit more because I really want to work closely together with a team-mate, so it will be a good experience anyway.´

Commenting on the possibility of a return to Honda Gresini, a rumour that had circulated in the MotoGP paddock, Melandri also said, `Yes it would have been a very nice option to go back to Fausto (Gresini). I had a very good time with him and he has always helped me a lot. Also this year we have been talking together, but for me, I have been looking at Kawasaki and they always seem very good. The engineers and the people give me a good feeling just to talk to them, so that is what I want to do.´

“It’s really hard to take an angry man seriously when he’s wearing a bathrobe.” - Carl Fogarty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 09:09 PM

Just as expected, I hope he will do better with the Kawi, and looks like Hopper will have a much stronger competitor next season.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 10:58 PM

This is good for Kawi... Melandri is still a top rider in my book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 12:29 AM
250 cc pilota.

Good move by both team and rider.
Melandri could never swing it around at Ducati and he is a very competitive rider. fresh air and a jap bike will do him just fine.

West to SBK/WSS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

west may not be out yet.....
http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2008/K...+bike+for+2009

Following Marco Melandri´s comments on Tuesday, on the final day of testing at Brno, that he is set to join Kawasaki at the end of this year, the Japanese manufacturer´s MotoGP Competition Manager Michael Bartholemy has confirmed that a deal is on the table – with final confirmation from Japan currently being awaited.
Bartholemy told motogp.com on Wednesday that the stamp of approval from his own bosses at Kawasaki Heavy Industries was still required, commenting, `We have reached an agreement with Marco Melandri meaning that he would join us for the next two years, but the deal still has to be approved by Kawasaki in Japan.´
Explaining what Melandri´s arrival would mean for current Kawasaki rider Anthony West, Bartholemy declared, `With regard to Anthony he will not be part of the main Kawasaki MotoGP team next season but we want to offer him a contract to remain as a Kawasaki factory rider, because we have invested a lot in him to bring him up a level since he joined us last year. That could mean that Anthony rides for us in another World Championship series.´
Meanwhile, Bartholemy is also still finalising plans to bring a third Kawasaki machine onto the MotoGP grid on a permanent basis next season and is positive about such a project taking place. For West that could mean a chance to remain in the premier class of motorcycle competition depending on sponsorship demands.
As Bartholemy explained, `If we do run a third bike it would be up to the sponsors and the management who the rider is, but Anthony West could be part of the package that we offer. In Misano we should be able to confirm that Melandri has joined us and we should be able to clarify the situation with the third bike.´

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 02:11 PM
250 cc pilota.

Current rumours say that Jorge Martinez "Aspar" is very close to having the deal for that third bike. His first choice of rider has for a long time been Bautista but he apparently wants to stay in 250 one more year. As Elias seems certain to be out at Ducati he is linked to that ride for Aspar. Makes sense as Aspar brings Spanish sponsor money to the table.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 02:13 PM
7c Forever

Bauti to the top class would be awesome, I want to see him and Spies duking it out.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 02:16 PM
250 cc pilota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Bauti to the top class would be awesome, I want to see him and Spies duking it out.
I would have loved him on a better bike than the Kwacker though....a Yamaha M1 would be fantastic!

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

i say bauti to the kawi, spies to the alice ducati,and elias to gresini, and de angelis or dovi to repsol

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 02:28 PM
250 cc pilota.

Wow. That is a lot of moves!
I don´t think Spies will go to Ducati as they have offered the ride other riders. Bautista will probably stay in 250, as Simoncelli even though Ducati has offered him the GP bike...

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav O View Post
Wow. That is a lot of moves!
I don´t think Spies will go to Ducati as they have offered the ride other riders. Bautista will probably stay in 250, as Simoncelli even though Ducati has offered him the GP bike...
well i know the 2 250 riders are not very intrested but spies is very intrested in a gp ride and if the door closes on ducati to get the 1 of the 2 250 guys then they may tryn make him a better offer then what gresini and ducati xerox are offering him because i highly doubt they wanna go into 09 with the same riders they have now...and dovi or de angleis are probably a sure bet to moving into the repsol team next year...so idk what do you think?

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 02:40 PM
7c Forever

Dovi for that repsol seat forsure.

Spies... I dunno, either the LCR Honda or Elias' seat look to be the options.... he's good at riding thesnot out of the bike whether it's set-up or not tho so maybe the Ducati is the better option.... but if he starts beating Hayden his bike will get "tuned up" by the factory techs...

If Ducati are smart they'll throw Nicky on Elias' bike and Spies on Marco's

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 02:40 PM
250 cc pilota.

I don´t think Ducati will like to have two americans in their line up, partly due to the price tag for Spies as well. American Honda have been said to be willing to pick up Spies 2$ million price tag so I say he is more likely at Gresini than Ducati.

I doubt De Angelis is very high on Repsol Hondas list and I think Dovi will go there.
So...

Suzuki
Vermeulen & Capirossi

Repsol
Pedrosa & Dovizioso

Gresini
Spies & Nakano

Third Kawasaki
Elias

Ducati Red Bull?
Canepa & Kallio

De Angelis to JIR or Scot or whatever that team will be called.

LCR might withdraw as rumours has it wich opens up for Scot and JIR to spli, apparently JIR manager Montiron said he had a deal for a bike for 2009 and the very good Scot team want to run their own show.
Looks like De Puniet and Guintoli are out...

Last edited by Gustav O; 08-20-2008 at 02:42 PM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 02:43 PM
7c Forever

Ya Spies is expensive... it's a pretty sad state of affairs tho when the kid can make more in AMA than he can in GP. Rainey talks in his biography about how when he stayed home to ride for Muzzy and Lawson went GP, Eddie was making more than 10x what Rainey was and Wayne was winning the championship.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don´t think Ducati will like to have two americans in their line up, partly due to the price tag for Spies as well. American Honda have been said to be willing to pick up Spies 2$ million price tag so I say he is more likely at Gresini than Ducati.

I doubt De Angelis is very high on Repsol Hondas list and I think Dovi will go there.
So...

Suzuki
Vermeulen & Capirossi

Repsol
Pedrosa & Dovizioso

Gresini
Spies & Nakano

Third Kawasaki
Elias

Ducati Red Bull?
Canepa & Kallio

De Angelis to JIR or Scot or whatever that team will be called.

LCR might withdraw as rumours has it wich opens up for Scot and JIR to spli, apparently JIR manager Montiron said he had a deal for a bike for 2009 and the very good Scot team want to run their own show.
Looks like De Puniet and Guintoli are out...
yea your right about the price tag but spies has said he would take a pay cut in exchange for a good bike...but to be honest i think either the duc or honda will be a good and defnetly much better choice then the suzuki because both bikes are direct decents of the factory bike the year prior which are far better then the suzukis right now.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 03:01 PM
250 cc pilota.

As far as bikes go I´d pick the Gresinin team over Ducati satellite team any day. With teh Suzuki outfit he would also have much greater input on the development of the bike wich is not the case with the other two teams. Good and bad with both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Ya Spies is expensive... it's a pretty sad state of affairs tho when the kid can make more in AMA than he can in GP. Rainey talks in his biography about how when he stayed home to ride for Muzzy and Lawson went GP, Eddie was making more than 10x what Rainey was and Wayne was winning the championship.
But on the other hand AMA riders make too much money.
What I mean is that the top riders should earn big but you can be pretty half assed and cruise around and collect a decent amount of money.

Last edited by Gustav O; 08-20-2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 03:02 PM
7c Forever

ya Suzuki haven't been competative since about 1989 tho. Both their titles since there where mostly 'cause of ungodly good riders and circumstances panning out in their favour imo.

I wouldn't count on the 'zuk to get better anytime soon, the folks that where in charge when it was a good bike are all long since retired.

yea there's lots of canucks that go down to run the close AMA rounds, make more finishing mid-pack at an AMA national than you do to win a canuck round. And if you're picking on the mid-packers it's awfull easy pickings.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Last edited by Junior; 08-20-2008 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Mat

Wasn't there talk of a 3rd full time Suzuki ride? If this does eventuate, I would have thought that Spies would be the main contender to pick up the ride. It would be good to see another Suzuki out there and another competitor in the field.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
Wasn't there talk of a 3rd full time Suzuki ride? If this does eventuate, I would have thought that Spies would be the main contender to pick up the ride. It would be good to see another Suzuki out there and another competitor in the field.
yea aspar was tryn to get that to happen but suzuki stated that they didnt have the funding for it or werent intrested or something...thats why the deal with spies hadnt been made clear...its like in order for it to happen for him and suzuki he'd have to perform extrordinary at his wild cards and vermulen had to keep preforming shitty...but it doesnt look like itll turn out that way.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Current rumours say that Jorge Martinez "Aspar" is very close to having the deal for that third bike. His first choice of rider has for a long time been Bautista but he apparently wants to stay in 250 one more year. As Elias seems certain to be out at Ducati he is linked to that ride for Aspar. Makes sense as Aspar brings Spanish sponsor money to the table.
That sounds good... I hope he gets the deal done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode