Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

AMA DQs Matt Mladin

Just read on the roadracing world and superbike planet web sites, AMA has DQed Matt Mladin from the Aug 16-17 races due to an illegal crank! Wouldn't all the Yosh bikes be running the same spec cranks? What does this do to the championship? Is this a DMG plot to force teams to suspect all manufacturers as cheaters and align under their banner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:09 PM
7c Forever

I don't know how much control DMG have. But Mat being DQ'd wraps the championship..... I've got a foul taste in my mouth over this whole thing. That's not how a championship should be decided.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

yup i just read it...

MAT MLADIN DISQUALIFIED FROM VIRGINIA INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY SUPERBIKE RACES

DAYTONA BEACH, Florida - AMA Pro Racing announced today that Mat Mladin has been disqualified from the August 16-17, 2008 AMA Superbike Championship presented by Parts Unlimited round at Virginia International Raceway following the outcome of post-race technical inspections.

The crankshaft from the #6 Rockstar Makita Suzuki was sent to AMA headquarters in Pickerington, Ohio, and was compared to other production crankshafts from the same model. Upon this inspection, the crankshaft was found to be in non-compliance of the 2008 AMA Superbike Championship Rulebook.

Please note the following rules for reference.

Superbike, 2.4 Crankshaft
Only the homologated crankshaft is permitted with the following modifications:
a. Bearing surfaces may be polished or surface treated.
b. Balancing is permitted only by the same method used by the OEM. For example, heavy metal (i.e. Mallory metal) inserts are not permitted unless they were originally specified by the OEM.
c. Attachment of aftermarket ignition components or sensors is permitted.
d. Primary gears can not be changed or modified.

A3 Equipment Offenses and Penalties
This section deals with violations of equipment regulations. Regardless of a motorcycle passing prior inspections, compliance with all applicable equipment rules must be made at the post race inspection. Any motorcycle found to be in violation of equipment rules may be assumed to have been in violation for the entire race meet. In passing a motorcycle through technical inspection, AMA Racing does not warrant that motorcycle's adherence with all rules. Each participant assumes full responsibility for any violation of equipment rules involving his/her motorcycle.
a. Category 1 - An equipment violation that could potentially or effectively enhance the performance of a motorcycle used in competition.

A3.3 Penalties: At the discretion of AMA Racing, any or all of the following penalties may be administered.
a. Category 1
1. Disqualification
2. Total or partial loss of points or laps
3. Total or partial loss of prize money
4. Suspension
5. Fine

The team was notified on August 20, 2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:54 PM
7c Forever

another knife edged crank? or an FI pickup?

fucking mega-ghey, decide the championship by DQing somebody for a BS technical infringement in the superbike class.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
another knife edged crank? or an FI pickup?

fucking mega-ghey, decide the championship by DQing somebody for a BS technical infringement in the superbike class.
i dont see why they cant be allowed to knife edge the crank...if everyone is allowed to do it whats unfair about that?

post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 05:06 PM
7c Forever

all those rules are pretty stupid imo. a knife edged crank isn't exactly the end of the world imo. But it cost Hayes his Daytona 200 win, and put Chaz in the rather precarious spot of having won by technical decision. Which is the spot Spies is in now.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Gang Green

I try not to feel that way about DQ's. Everyone knows the rules, if you go to far, you pay the price.
it's not fair to say that the AMA decided the championship, when Mladin's crew gave him an illegal advantage in the race they helped decide the championship by bending the rules.
It sucks, I was pissed when it happened to Chaz being a kwack fan, but those are the rules.

post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Sucks at life...

Send a message via AIM to Hermans
being a mladin, i think its a pretty shitty way for spies to win another championship, especially since it'll be the last one for him in the AMA. very curious to hear what mladin has to say about this.
i smell a AMA/ DMG conspiracy.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 06:50 PM
jimmy crack corn

I agree with greenenvy for sure.
I remember one article said he has had his crank reviewed three times in a row or three times this season.
it makes me wonder if because he has been very critical of ama if they were really looking to get him
or
if his crank has been so borderline they were just waiting for it to be over the limit
not saying the ama would do anything wrong, but it does make you wonder sometimes

David
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
Quote:
all those rules are pretty stupid imo. a knife edged crank isn't exactly the end of the world imo. But it cost Hayes his Daytona 200 win, and put Chaz in the rather precarious spot of having won by technical decision. Which is the spot Spies is in now.

Junior, I know your no-ones fool but knife edging a crank will release locked up horsepower from rotating mass and it will spin up quicker, not be robbed by oil splash etc etc et et al.
I know there is a fine balance in all this when knife edging a crank as yoy can start robbing horspower, but to me it is a performance enhancement.

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 08:01 PM
7c Forever

oh forsure it's performance enhancing, but it's sure not the reason he's winning races. Besides, this is the superbike class, if knife edging a crank isn't legal here, where IS it legal?

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
Quote:
oh forsure it's performance enhancing, but it's sure not the reason he's winning races. Besides, this is the superbike class, if knife edging a crank isn't legal here, where IS it legal?
And I do agree with you about the Superbike class, its also healthier for the engine life to have a more efficient crank

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 08:12 PM
7c Forever

it's something that bikes of this quality SHOULD have done from the f*cking factory.

altho we're not 100% that that's the reason for the DQ, but I'm guessing it was because that's what Hayes' DQ was over earlier this year.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 09:01 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEnvy View Post
I try not to feel that way about DQ's. Everyone knows the rules, if you go to far, you pay the price.
it's not fair to say that the AMA decided the championship, when Mladin's crew gave him an illegal advantage in the race they helped decide the championship by bending the rules.
It sucks, I was pissed when it happened to Chaz being a kwack fan, but those are the rules.
My thoughts exactly, the AMA did nothing to cause this, it's just like running a red light and getting caught by the camera.... the proof is in the picture and nobody made you run that red light.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 09:04 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermans View Post
being a mladin, i think its a pretty shitty way for spies to win another championship, especially since it'll be the last one for him in the AMA. very curious to hear what mladin has to say about this.
i smell a AMA/ DMG conspiracy.

conspiracy ??????

Did the ama install an illegal crank in Matt's bike?? uhhhmmm NO!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 04:18 AM
Sucks at life...

Send a message via AIM to Hermans
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Lover View Post
conspiracy ??????

Did the ama install an illegal crank in Matt's bike?? uhhhmmm NO!
i guess the sarcasm wasnt thick enough in that statement.
obviously AMA has nothing to do with how mladins mechanics tweak his bike, other than making sure its within the rules.
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 06:43 AM

Looking from the outside in,it looks like the AMA is about to implode,just like the Aussie version.
The only domestic Superbike championship that has any credibility is the British.
Mat Mladin is a big fish in a small pond.(found his level and stuck too it)
Apart from N Hayden and possibly B Spies what has the American Superbike Championship provided in terms of world class riders in the last 15 years?
Answer none.From the biggest sportbike market in the world.
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

To me it brings up a couple big ??
  • Ben and Tommy are more than likely on the same spec cranks. So Yosh Suzuki has been cheating for some time, how long probably could be measured in seasons, so why now? An unprompted protest by the sanctioning body at this point makes me think DMG wants a scandal to enforce their view that Superbike racing needs a clean up and they have the plan to do it.
  • If he is DQed and no appeal sticks Ben is the Champ. He is well out in front of everyone else and could pull out of the final round and still win. Or he could run the final round and get protested, DQed and still win. I think if I was American Suzuki and if it didn’t stick I would simply withdraw my entries from the final rounds and call it a protest. There is nothing set for next year or any plans for racing at all so why not?
  • If I was Mat Mladin I would be pissed as hell, knowing that all that speed came from his hard charging style and maybe .002 of it was a better , more efficient crank. If I was Ben Spies I would be scared to have this scandal question my AMA Championships. If I was Jamie Hacking I would be scared to death they would look deeper into my ZX10 cause they have been cheating their ass off just to stay in sight of the Suzukis…

None of this is any good for US motorcycle racing. None of this is any good for the fans
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 11:06 AM
7c Forever

ya I guarantee you every bike in the first 3 rows has the same done. Possible exceptions for the superstock bikes doing double duty, so Geoff May and Chris Peris.

But they picked Mat.

as far as world class riders produced from the AMA in the last 15 years? well 15 years takes us back to 1993, since then there's been Colin Edwards, Scott Russel, Troy Corser, Anthony Gobert, Mig DuHammel (podiumed in WSBK races as a wild card.) Doug Chandler, both Eric and Ben Bostrom. That's just off the top of my head without looking back thru any rider lists.

Now what world class riders has BSB produced in the last 15 years? Bayliss (for 1 year, I'd hardly say that it "produced" him, but whatever, for the sake of evening up the fight a bit I'll let it go.) Foggy, Kiyo and Kageyama maybe? Hodgeson? given that he's finishing in 10th place in the AMA, getting beat by Canadian privateers that come down on superstock bikes for the money... I'm gonna say no.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

I agree with those reasons but I don't think spies has a reason 2 ? His championships bc if u look back they were all close battles with mat its just recently that mats been able 2 completely destroy him in the race n maybe this is why...we will probably never know but its no suprise 2 me that they checked his bike out of the 3 bc he walked away from everyone even spies in both races and has been doin so in the last couple races. Yet in practice and in qualifying bens right there or faster...this is the same thing with hayes at daytona he ran away from everyone even his fast partner on the same machinery. Makes for suspicion and now they were right for the 2nd time ina row.and yes the kaw has gotten suspicously fast all the sudden. Mat,ben n tommy walked hacking down the str8 at daytona and the last race ben could only get by hacking in the turns....that's a big step all the sudden.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode