Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

More ama drama

problems in the suzuki camp again
http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=33916

Updated: AMA Tech Impounds Yoshimura Suzuki GSX-R1000 Superbikes

AMA Technical Inspection with all three Rockstar Makita Suzuki GSX-R1000s in various stages of tear down.
Photo by Brian J. Nelson.

With the left side engine cover removed the crankshaft of one Rockstar Makita Suzuki GSX-R1000 is visible.

The crankshaft from Mat Mladin's GSX-R1000.

AMA tech inspectors have impounded the Yoshimura Suzuki GSX-R1000s ridden in Group A Friday Superbike qualifying by Ben Spies, Mat Mladin and Tommy Hayden.

Inspectors initially required mechanics to remove the left-side engine cover on each Yoshimura racebike, which allows the left-side crank flywheel to be seen.

After that initial inspection, crews were instructed to remove the engines from the bikes ridden by Mladin and Hayden.

Tech inspectors also ordered the engine covers removed from GSX-R1000s ridden by Ryan Elleby, Kurtis Roberts and David Anthony, who were the fastest three riders in the Group B qualifying session. Once the covers were removed, inspectors looked at the cranks in those bikes, and then released those bikes to their crews.

Inspectors are looking for crankshafts that do not match several stock, OEM sample crankshafts in AMA Tech's possession.

Update:

The engines from the Rockstar Makita Suzuki GSX-R1000s of Mat Mladin and Tommy Hayden were torn down to their crankshafts. Once removed from the engines, the crankshafts were carried inside AMA Pro Racing’s semi trucks.

The engine in Ben Spies’ Suzuki was sealed by AMA Technical officials, and his mechanics were allowed to take his motorcycle back to their pit area while his teammates’ engines were being torn down.

Asked if anything like this, engines being torn down to the crankshaft after provisional qualifying, had ever happened before, Rockstar Makita Suzuki Team Manager Don Sakakura told Roadracingworld.com that he could not remember anytime in his AMA Pro road racing career of something like this happening. Sakakura said he did not want to comment further until he had more information.

When asked about the tear down, AMA Pro Racing Special Projects Manager Bill Syfan said he had no comment.

AMA Pro Racing is within its right to conduct the teardown because Section 7.9.b. of the 2008 Road Race Rulebook, Race Rules and Procedures, Pre and Post Race Technical Inspections, states: “Technical inspections of motorcycles, equipment and riding apparel may be held prior to and after a race meet or at other times as determined by the Race Manager or Chief Technical Inspector.”

And if found illegal, Appendix A.2. Offenses, Penalties, Protests, and Appeals – General Offenses and Penalties states: “…the Race Manager may disqualify any participant or motorcycle from the balance of a race meet for violation of these rules (…) Such disqualification includes the loss of any rights with regard to the event in question and may result in expulsion from the meet site.”

AMA Pro Racing Media Relations Manager Eric Putter said a statement regarding the tear downs may be issued Friday evening.

We will provide more information as it becomes available.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
seems like AMA is on a witch hunt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Gang Green

MAT MLADIN & TOMMY HAYDEN GROUP A QUALIFYING TIMES DISALLOWED

DAYTONA BEACH, Florida - All of the qualifying lap times for #6 Mat Mladin and #22 Tommy Hayden were disallowed from the Friday Group A Superbike qualifying session at Road Atlanta for use of non-homologated crankshafts.

Both riders will have the opportunity to participate and post lap times during the Saturday morning qualifying session.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

it seems strange....is this an act to catch them 2 up 2 spies or is this all a bunch of bull and someones got a soft spot for spies?

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 08:44 PM

I've got this gut feeling there is sour grapes somewhere in the AMA camp, as I said before, I don't think this is going to have a pretty ending.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 09:48 PM
7c Forever

ya somethings fishy. Why is Spies' bike being allowed to run?

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 10:03 PM

No wonder Mat wins so much...

I keed I keed...
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 10:13 PM
jimmy crack corn

this is a quote from another mag, can someone explain how they could not tell them what the infraction was, I'm confused
I also agree something smells fishy .

"What complicates the situation is that, according to Don Sakakura, who spoke to Cycle News on Friday morning, the AMA never told the team what the alleged non-compliance issue was with the crankshaft from Virginia International Raceway, where Mladin was disqualified from both races for alleged crankshaft violations. That infraction has been appealed."
http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=12863

David
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 10:30 PM
No Crying Allowed

I think this was a long time coming and since Suzuki has now pissed off the AMA, they are playing by the rules and actually enforcing them, rather then turning the other way.

As for Spies's bike, I thought it said they have sealed it? I read that to mean they have it in their possessions but they were allowed to take the bike back, just not the motor?

Maybe I read it too fast? lol

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 10:56 PM
jimmy crack corn

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Lover View Post
I think this was a long time coming and since Suzuki has now pissed off the AMA, they are playing by the rules and actually enforcing them, rather then turning the other way.

As for Spies's bike, I thought it said they have sealed it? I read that to mean they have it in their possessions but they were allowed to take the bike back, just not the motor?

Maybe I read it too fast? lol
sealed as in prohibited from taking the bike apart before the race, i think. you may be right about the whole thing but it is very strange to leave the one alone and disallow the other. and not give a name to the infraction. the ama going down a slippery slope in more ways than one.

David
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 11:34 PM

I heard that the surface of Matt's crank was heat treated with silica carbide nitrous oxide coating.

in Tommy's case, his crank was split as they were suspecting contraband in it, instead the found the Colonels KFC secret recipe.

Look like the AMA\DMG's suspicions were not unfounded.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerraul View Post
I heard that the surface of Matt's crank was heat treated with silica carbide nitrous oxide coating.

in Tommy's case, his crank was split (HUH? , cases right RR?) as they were suspecting contraband in it, instead they found the Colonels KFC secret recipe.

Look like the AMA\DMG's suspicions were not unfounded.

Now that's funny

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 12:38 AM

I'm thinking witchhunt and making sure Spies wins the championship. Mladins pissed off DMG and Spies has remained quite so Spies gets a free pass while Mladin gets screwed. Not sure about TommyGun but do you really think Mladins team would screw up like that two races in a row???? I smell a rat and it's initials are DMG
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 01:17 AM
7c Forever

hfs, I just looked at the crank. Does anyone else think that looks like an odd firing order?

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
hfs, I just looked at the crank. Does anyone else think that looks like an odd firing order?

I don't know A GIXXER crank but i gather they 1243 in standard, does that look like BIG BANG throws on he crank Junior????

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 01:40 AM
7c Forever

looks to me like they don't line up 180*, altho it might be the angle of the shot.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
looks to me like they don't line up 180*, altho it might be the angle of the shot.
That's what I was getting at, the crank phases seem odd? thoughts

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 09:29 AM
7c Forever

well they can't be out by more than a couple of degrees, just looking at it. It's possible that there's a factory tolerance that they're within. the other advantage of running a 1-2-4-3 order is that you can sneak it into a big bang mode by pulsing the 2 on the PTO end together.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

heres the conclusion on this
http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=33935
AMA Pro Racing States Its Case Against Mladin, Tommy Hayden

Aug 30, 2008, ęCopyright 2008, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.

(This original, copyrighted material may not be copied, cut and pasted, published or otherwise reproduced in any way in any medium, which means, don’t post this on another website or BBS. If you want somebody else to see this, send them a link or post a link to this page.)

AMA Pro Racing Special Projects Manager Bill Syfan, the man in charge of the AMA Superbike event at Road Atlanta, held a press conference Saturday afternoon to shed some light on what has been going on with the sanctioning body's inspections and rulings on the crankshafts of Mat Mladin and Tommy Hayden.

Here is the word-for-word transcription of that press conference:

Bill Syfan:

DMG decided to bring everybody up to speed on where we’re at with what’s happened over the last two weeks with Suzuki crankshafts. It’s all in the interest of transparency.

There’s a lot of rumors out there that this is politically motivated. That’s not true. It’s certainly easy to connect the dots, but it’s just not true.

So what’s I’m going to read is a timeline on the Suzuki crankshaft situation. I’ll take some questions at the end, but more than likely I won’t be able to answer them if they get into too much detail, but this should help clear things up.

Following the Superbike race on Sunday, August 17, as you know, the three Yosh [Rockstar Makita Yoshimura] Suzukis of #1, #6 and #22 were impounded for routine post-race inspection.

Chief Tech Inspector Jim Rashid asked for intake and exhaust valves from all three machines. He also requested to inspect the crankshaft on one of the bikes and chose the #6 Suzuki bike since it was the winner of the race.

On initial comparison of the #6 Suzuki crankshaft to the homologated control unit/crankshaft, removed from a complete 2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000 provided by American Suzuki, that is the homologated motorcycle (The crankshaft was removed from it), Jim [Rashid] noticed several differences including the date of manufacture marking system, the difference in how the journal bearing codes were engraved, the crankshaft journal oil holes and the surface texture and the darkness of the #6 crankshaft.

The two parts were shown to Yoshimura Team Manager Don Sakakura at the track. He was informed that the #6 Suzuki crankshaft would be transported to the current AMA Pro Racing Tech department in Pickerington, Ohio for further detailed inspections and measurements.

To provide for maximum fairness during the additional inspections AMA Pro Racing requested six additional crankshafts, two from each of American Suzuki’s three parts warehouses, be shipped to Pickerington.

The #6 Suzuki crankshaft and the homologated control crankshaft were packaged securely at the track and arrived safely in Pickerington offices on Tuesday, August 19.

On Wednesday, August 20 two GSX-R1000 crankshafts were received at the Pickerington offices from the American Suzuki parts warehouse in Brea, California. When Don Sakakura was called to find out the timing of the other crankshafts being shipped, Don said he misunderstood the quantity needed.

The two crankshafts from the Brea warehouse were unpacked and placed alongside the control crankshaft and the #6 Suzuki crankshaft. Visually the two Brea crankshafts matched the control crankshaft in every way except dates of manufacturer etched into the far right counterweight, the Brea crankshafts being 2008 models compared to the 2007 control part.

After his initial inspection at Pickerington, Jim [Rashid] called Don [Sakakura] to tell him that no additional crankshafts would be needed.

During the afternoon of Wednesday, August 20 inspections of all four crankshafts were made by seven different AMA officials, including myself. I was there for some transition meetings of the Pickerington-to-Daytona thing. Jim took measurements and weights of all four crankshafts. Based on these thorough inspections the following differences were noted between the #6 Suzuki crankshaft and the homologated crankshaft:

1. The #6 Suzuki crankshaft has no manufacture date etched into the far right hand #4 connecting rod counterweight, as evident on the other three control parts. It contains only the number 242, that’s ‘no. 242’ stamped in ink on the counterweight in the same basic location. The bearing codes are laser etched on a different weight than the three control parts, which are mechanically etched on the three control parts.

2. On the control part and two additional sample parts all have consistent significant chamfering on the oil delivery holes. The #6 Suzuki crankshaft had no chamfering on any of the crank bearing or rod bearing oil delivery holes.

3. The crankshaft from the #6 Suzuki was much darker in color than the three control parts with a smoothness and texture not found on the other three. The consistent sharp edges found on the three control crankshafts are smooth on the #6 Suzuki crankshaft.

Based on the various findings above, it was a unanimous decision that the #6 Suzuki crankshaft differed significantly from the homologated control crankshaft and the two additional production crankshafts provided by American Suzuki. The #6 Suzuki crankshaft is out of specification as compared to the homologated parts and is deemed out of compliance. Therefore the decision was made to disqualify Mat Mladin, the rider of the #6 Suzuki from Saturday and Sunday’s Superbike races.

Now that’s something that’s in the current rulebook. It says that if you have any mechanical infractions it will apply to all events during that meet. So this is like 1937 dirt track, but that’s the way the rulebook reads and we’re trying to follow the rulebook to the tee.

Then we come to yesterday.

Following Group A Superbike qualifying at Road Atlanta the Yoshimura Suzukis of #1, #6 and #22 were impounded for routine post-qualifying inspections. Following the removal of the left-hand engine covers Tech inspectors noted that the crankshafts in the #6 and the #22 Suzukis were the same as the non-homologated part from VIR. The crankshaft from the #1 Suzuki matched the homologated crankshaft.

The two non-homologated crankshafts were inspected, and the following differences were noted:

1. The crankshaft on the #6 Suzuki matches the non-homologated parts in every way listed above with the exception of the bearing codes are hand-engraved. And they weren’t done by a machine. They were done by hand.

2. The crankshaft on the #22 Suzuki matches the non-homologated part in every way with the exception that it has no bearing codes whatsoever. If this is a production part as claimed it would be extremely difficult for a dealer receiving this crankshaft to put in a customer’s bike without the bearing codes.

These two crankshafts will be kept in AMA Pro Racing’s possession until the appeal is finalized. A side note: the other six privateer Suzukis, we’re talking about the three from Group B yesterday and the three from Group B today, all had homologated crankshafts.

Per the rulebook only a homologated crankshaft is permitted.

That’s it.

Question: Did you look at the bikes after qualifying this morning?

Syfan: Yes. They all had homologated crankshafts in them.

Q: How was that determined?

Syfan: By pulling the left-hand engine cover.

Q: So then only the number on the left-side counterweight was visible?

Syfan: The telltale signs from pulling the left-hand engine case is the color of the crankshaft and the production code that is mechanically etched in on the homologated crankshafts.

Q: How did AMA Pro Racing determine these non-homologated crankshafts enhanced performance?

Syfan: We’re not making any claims to that, in that respect. These crankshafts do not match the homologated unit.

Q: So is this a Category One [more serious] or a Category Two [less serious] violation?

Syfan: It falls under Category One. We have our theories on it, and we’ll present those at the appeal. That’s not something I can talk about right now.

Q: Were the cases sealed today or yesterday?

Syfan: Ben Spies’ motor was sealed from yesterday’s Group A qualifying. All three engines were sealed from today’s Group A qualifying.

Q: Has Suzuki been told everything you told us?

Syfan: Yes.

Q: So they know what the infractions are?

Q: You mentioned the color of the crank. What does that mean?

Syfan: We don’t know. We have our theories, again.

Q: Surface treatment or a different grade? Could it be any of those things? What are the things it could be?

Syfan: We’re not sure.

Q: Has the metal composition of the non-homologated crankshaft been tested in a lab yet?

Syfan: No.

Q: Are there plans to test the metal composition of the crankshaft?

Syfan: I can’t say.

Q: What’s the status of the appeal?

Syfan: Don Sakakura, the Team Manager for Yoshimura, received instruction today. This is the information that they need to move forward and provide us with more information. This would be called, I guess, the actual, the more detailed appeal. Up until today they didn’t have clear instructions on what they needed to provide by next Friday.

Q: They were told all this stuff today?

Q: So they didn’t know any of this before today?

Syfan: Well, the discussion started yesterday.

Q: But they didn’t have all of the specifics until today?

Syfan: Correct.

Q: So what’s next Friday?

Syfan: Well, that’s the end of the 14-day period as noted in the rulebook.

Q: So he needs to have what to you at the end of that period?

Syfan: He needs to provide to us production records for these crankshafts, vendor information and the VIN range of the motorcycles that they went in. that’s Part A. Part B is they have to provide a motorcycle in that VIN range whether it’s new or used and have it disassembled with an AMA official there.

Q: That would show a crank with weird numbers or matching numbers to that crank?

Syfan: They have to prove to us that those are production parts. It’s as simple as that. American Suzuki and Yoshimura Suzuki have to prove to us that those are production parts.

Q: So the appeal then, they can file it, then how long do you have before you accept it?

Syfan: I don’t think the rulebook is clear on that, but obviously we want this to be wrapped up as soon as possible. This is not good for anybody. These are great riders. Yoshimura is a great team. This is just an unfortunate situation for the whole paddock and the series.

Q: Who made the decisions on this stuff? Is it made by you or Colin [Fraser] or Roger [Edmondson]?

Syfan: It was a group decision.

Q: So they were all informed the whole time?

Syfan: Absolutely. Everybody was onboard with all of this.

Q: You called yesterday’s post-qualifying inspections ‘routine.’ When was the last time that after provisional Superbike qualifying bikes had their engine case covers taken off?

Syfan: I couldn’t tell you, but certainly with the situation at hand it’s pretty obvious that we weren’t necessarily looking for something but that was an easy check to see what we could see. And unfortunately we found more non-homologated crankshafts.

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 09:12 PM

Very interesting, judging by today's qualifying session it didnt matter. They both qualified in the same place they did with the illegal crankshafts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode