Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Question MotoGP » Spies announcement at Indy?

Spies announcement at Indy?

Tuesday, 2nd September 2008

Ben Spies to announce 2009 plans at the forthcoming Indianapolis Grand Prix?

The 2009 destination of AMA Superbike champion Ben Spies 'should' be announced at the inaugural Indianapolis Grand Prix from September 12-14.

Indy will mark the Texan's third and final MotoGP appearance of the season for Rizla Suzuki, having finished 14th during a last minute stand-in ride at Donington Park and then eighth as a wild-card at his home Laguna Seca event in late July.

"I'm looking forward to going back to Indy and being part of history," said Spies, who - unlike the regular MotoGP riders - was able to test at the new Indy MotoGP circuit in July. "Some great things are coming together for next season and that's got me excited as well."

Spies has made his intentions to secure a full time 2009 grand prix ride clear and has been linked with (amongst others) Rizla Suzuki, Gresini Honda, Alice Ducati and JiR Honda in MotoGP - plus Ducati Xerox and Alstare Suzuki in WSBK.

Despite insisting that it is close to new deals with both Loris Capirossi and Chris Vermeulen, neither have yet been announced as remaining with Suzuki for 2009 - leaving the door open for Spies - although the most recent rumours suggest that a satellite Honda seat is more likely.

"We are still in negotiations with numerous teams," Doug Gonda, Spies' manager, told Crash.net. "We should be able to announce a deal at Indy."

After Indy, Spies only needs to finish 19th or better in the AMA season finale at Laguna Seca on September 28 to clinch his third straight AMA Superbike title for Yoshimura Suzuki.

Spies announcement at Indy? | MOTOGP News | Crash.Net

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

I hope he's smart and takes his ass to ducati...suzukis got some more work to do to become a full package and honda dont know how to take care of there riders "unless your a prize pick they had in there sights...."pedrosa"... plus i think he can do damage with the power of the duacti in his hands! It'll be intresting to see how things turn out for him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
I doubt he will get a factory Ducati, which means he is f**ked, for proof just read the article featuring the zombie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biga View Post
I doubt he will get a factory Ducati, which means he is f**ked, for proof just read the article featuring the zombie.
i know it wont be a factory ride as that ride is being taken by hayden but he doesnt have any open options for a factory ride in gp except maybe suzuki if 1 of those riders dont resign but even then that sat. honda and ducati are both better packages then the suzuki

post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid1000 View Post
i know it wont be a factory ride as that ride is being taken by hayden but he doesnt have any open options for a factory ride in gp except maybe suzuki if 1 of those riders dont resign but even then that sat. honda and ducati are both better packages then the suzuki
If I'm Ducati, I'd put Spies on the factory seat over NH...
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Resident Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi View Post

It won't happen often, but I'm going to agree with Vale on this one .

post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

I know deep inside you always agree with me about Stoner...
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Resident Redneck

Quote:

I know deep inside you always agree with me about Stoner...

Right now I do, **** these last three races really me of.

post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
and i agree with you guys 100% but dont see it happening for 2 reasons... 1. it seems as if NH is already confirmed seeing as how the announcement is due anyday and 2. i doubt ducati wants to risk the american coming over and possibly out doing there golden boy at least if he's on the sat. team they obviously have more ways of slowing him down

post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 01:12 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, Ducati is doing the right thing by putting NH in the factory seat vs. Spies.

NH doesn't have more AMA titles than Spies cause he wasn't there long enough to earn them, and I been following AMA superbike long enough to understand that the Suzuki domination there is due to all the manufacturers pulling out of Superbike (Except for Suzuki) when the AMA decided to make FX the Daytona 200...
post #11 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerraul View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, Ducati is doing the right thing by putting NH in the factory seat vs. Spies.

NH doesn't have more AMA titles than Spies cause he wasn't there long enough to earn them, and I been following AMA superbike long enough to understand that the Suzuki domination there is due to all the manufacturers pulling out of Superbike (Except for Suzuki) when the AMA decided to make FX the Daytona 200...
You have followed AMA SBK long enough, but forgot the fact that when NH won the title on his 1000, the Suzuki was still a 750.
post #12 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Resident Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid1000 View Post
and i agree with you guys 100% but don't see it happening for 2 reasons... 1. it seems as if NH is already confirmed seeing as how the announcement is due any day and 2. i doubt ducati wants to risk the American coming over and possibly out doing there golden boy at least if he's on the sat. team they obviously have more ways of slowing him down

Even if Spies made it to Ducati, I doubt he could out ride Stoner.

Are you one that believes the GP7 was built around Stoner

post #13 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Resident Redneck

Quote:
You have followed AMA SBK long enough, but forgot the fact that when NH won the title on his 1000, the Suzuki was still a 750.
And Mladin got injured at Daytona, unable to put in a proper title defense.

In other words NH won two titles due to luck.

post #14 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
You must have forgotten that the the 1000 was a twin... I never been of the opinion that an IL4 makes equal power to a vtwin in same displacement.

The rules have always been diff to allow them to compete, they never shared the same rules in tuning & weight.

If you look at the 1098, it barely makes more power than a Gixxr750 in street trim.
post #15 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 01:34 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
LMFAO

repped.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #16 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You must have forgotten that the the 1000 was a twin... I never been of the opinion that an IL4 makes equal power to a vtwin in same displacement.

The rules have always been diff to allow them to compete, they never shared the same rules in tuning & weight.

If you look at the 1098, it barely makes more power than a Gixxr750 in street trim.
Last I checked, the RC-51 was killing everything, including WSBK's R7...
post #17 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 01:50 PM
7c Forever

Quote:

ya, but in my books, cutting a different formula a break isn't exactly free and fair competition.

Mind you I don't agree with cc classes either necessarily, but you gotta pick a set of rules and stick to it, letting some guys have a break 'cause they choose to build using an inferior formula doesn't cut it in my books.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #18 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 02:02 PM
250 cc pilota.

Quote:

It wasn´t just the engine size that was the problem with the 02 Suzuki. It was blessed with crappy chassies that hampered it in SBK racing all over the world.

post #19 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
ya, but in my books, cutting a different formula a break isn't exactly free and fair competition.

Mind you I don't agree with cc classes either necessarily, but you gotta pick a set of rules and stick to it, letting some guys have a break 'cause they choose to build using an inferior formula doesn't cut it in my books.
I don't make the rules... IMO this whole mess would be fixed if they would just keep the engine layouts separate... but since it isn't you have to adjust in an attempt in fairness for other engine designs. At least that is how I understand it.

I don't see the point in making it sound like a 1000cc twin is equivalent in HP\TQ as an IL4... cause that just isn't the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav O View Post
It wasn´t just the engine size that was the problem with the 02 Suzuki. It was blessed with crappy chassies that hampered it in SBK racing all over the world.
No doubt the Yosh team have a great bike... but you don't see that domination in the AMA translate to WSBk with the Suzuki's there.

The cluster fuck the AMA created in the Superbike class has left all the manufacturers who elected to pull out playing catch up.

Last edited by racerraul; 09-02-2008 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #20 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Even if Spies made it to Ducati, I doubt he could out ride Stoner.

Are you one that believes the GP7 was built around Stoner
i doubt it aswell but then again who knows....i doubt anyone thought stoner would hand capirex his ass the way he did when he was 1st signed.... and no i dont think it was built around stoner.... but then again who do you think it was built around?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode