Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation MotoGP Nicky Hayden confirms Honda split.

Nicky Hayden confirms Honda split.

Thursday, 11th September 2008

Nicky Hayden confirms the worst kept secret in MotoGP - that he won't be riding for Honda next season.

During the pre-event press conference at Indianapolis, 2006 world champion Nicky Hayden confirmed that he won't be riding for Honda next season and gave a revealing glimpse into life at HRC's factory team.

Hayden, who has been with Repsol Honda since his 2003 MotoGP debut, will join Ducati Marlboro next season, where he will ride alongside 2007 world champion Casey Stoner - although the move is still to be officially announced.

"It's looking like World Superbike with Aprilia," Hayden joked, when asked about 2009.

"It's no secret; everybody knows where my next stop is going to be," continued Nicky, without actually naming Ducati. "But officially we're waiting on to do it the right way until the releases come out because there's teams and stuff.

"I'm looking forward to it. I know it's going to be a big change for me, and hopefully probably in the next, you know, [the] announcement will be coming soon.

"I have had a long history with Honda, and I don't have - sure, things here lately have kind of went, you know, kind of turned ugly with everything going on, all the drama. But still, we've had a lot of good races together, won championships in the AMA [2002], and obviously the world championship was the big one.

"Sure, every day wasn't just a big holiday but we had some good days, and I'm really grateful for the opportunity they gave me. But I think it's, you know, it's time to move on, try something different. But we'll worry about that later and for now just focus on this weekend and try to go out in a good way together."

Many consider that Hayden hasn't received the backing he deserves from Honda since the arrival of former 125 and double 250cc world champion Dani Pedrosa in 2006 - and cite the Spaniard's shock mid-season switch from Michelin to Bridgestone tyres as a prime example of the power Pedrosa and his supporters yield within the team.

Pedrosa will make his Bridgestone debut this weekend at Indianapolis, while Hayden confirmed that he was never asked about the possibility of changing tyre brands - adding that the new wall dividing the Repsol pits, in order to protect tyre data, is nothing new.

"Well, I mean that's quite a touchy subject, but I mean, I was shocked like everybody else - but no, I wasn't asked and I just kind of heard it on the street," said Hayden of Pedrosa's tyre change. "In Misano before the race they told me. I couldn't, you know -- yeah, I think I couldn't believe it, like everyone else. So, yeah, I'm not really sure what's there to say.

"Don't really change a whole lot for me. You know, it's one less rider on Michelin, which I think hurts. It's getting close to being spec tyre now, you know. There's really only five or six guys left that aren't on Bridgestone. So, yeah, it really don't change a whole lot other than the wall down the middle of the garage. Honestly, there was already a bit of a wall there. So not a lot's changed," he declared.

The rather bleak image of life at Repsol Honda continued when Hayden was asked if he might leave the team before the end of the season.

Hayden stated his determination to see out the remainder of the year "unless they lock the door on me" something that he said "could happen" and that if it did some people in the team "probably would never notice."

"I expect - I mean unless they tell me, no, I don't have any intention not to do the rest of the season," replied Hayden. "I mean that seems crazy. I honestly haven't really - that's what people thought after Misano and everything had happened, but no, I plan on - I owe it to Honda to go out. I think they know that, at least the guys in my team know I'm not going to lay down until the very end, until Valencia.

"So, no, I fully plan on doing the whole season unless they lock the door over there on me, I plan on going in there and getting on the bike. (Laughter). That could happen. I mean, you know. There's probably people in that box that if I didn't show up probably would never notice. (Laughter). But I plan on going.

"I'm not trying to be funny or give one-liners," insisted Nicky.

"No, that was funny. (Laughter)," quipped Colin Edwards.

Meanwhile, Hayden now has five races left with which to try and claim a podium finish on the pneumatic-valve RC212V, which Pedrosa will also ride this weekend.

Hayden, who hasn't won a race since 2006 and has taken a best finish of fourth so far this season, missed the last two rounds due to a heel injury sustained on a Supermoto bike at the X Games on August 1.

Hayden's heal remains in a protective boot and he walks with the aid of crutches, but the Kentuckian will be doing his best in front of his home fans and is desperate to try and resurrect something from "the worst season of his career".

"It's all right; it's a little bit better than Misano, for sure. This track going left will be a lot better, but honestly I hoped to be more healed," he said. "I had some doctors saying it's going to take a while and being a racer you think, no, and go get another opinion and find somebody who says I'll be all right quicker.

"It's taken awhile, and it's just the wrong part of the foot that I broke. It's been slow but, yeah, I'll be all right here this weekend going left. So it's certainly been another tough year for me and probably the worst, honestly, if I'm honest, probably the worst season of my career so far.

"So things change quick in racing and no better time to try to turn it around than right here at home. I know we have a few things going against us, but hopefully this weekend coming to the track - I think racing inside an oval, this feels natural to me. I grew up Vegas, Daytona, a lot of tracks inside an oval like this. So should feel pretty comfortable," he declared.

Nicky Hayden confirms Honda split. | MOTOGP News | Crash.Net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 07:36 PM

So, I wonder if Honda would actually not let him finish the season? Livio Suppo said that the Ducati line up will be "clearer" next week. So I suppose that means that Nicky will make his announcement then...
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Gang Green

good for nicky, I hope he does well on the duc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 08:03 PM

Wow... some interesting comments made... I am not surprised however, he's been saying & hinting at it for a long time...

But hey... we all know him to be an unintelligent pathetic liar.

I have no reason to doubt he'll do much better with the Ducati if they give him competitive engineers to help him with setup.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 08:22 PM
7c Forever

I'm thinknig that Ducati picked the wrong young american fella.

allwell, it aint over yet.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

its funny that there not confirming on motogp.com but they basically are on speedtv.com :

http://moto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ducati-future/

post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
cant wait to see how he'll do on the DUC...

post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
I'm thinknig that Ducati picked the wrong young american fella.

allwell, it aint over yet.
I don't... the AMA had everyone catching up to Yosh after all the changes made and Honda, Duc, Kaw & Yam all playing catchup when they returned to SBK like a year or two later.

So IMO, it is very hard to gauge just how good Mladin & Spies really were against that field...

Honda laging behind so badly in that series IMO was an indication of the mess AMA left behind.

Spies needs to go to WSBK and try to do what he did in the AMA on the Suzuki... i garantee you he'll be in for a rude awakening.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerraul View Post
So IMO, it is very hard to gauge just how good Mladin & Spies really were against that field...

Honda laging behind so badly in that series IMO was an indication of the mess AMA left behind.

Spies needs to go to WSBK and try to do what he did in the AMA on the Suzuki... i garantee you he'll be in for a rude awakening.
I think it might snow here today, because I'm agreeing with racerraul...
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 09:03 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
I'd love to see that.

Personal opinion tho, is that Spies is a much better rider than Hayden. look at their accomplishments in the AMA and it shows.

Altho it's no secret how I feel about Nick, not that I want him out, he got a WC and that entitles him to a ride until he feels like quitting as far as I'm concerned, just not necessarily a top level one.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 09:23 PM

I hear ya man... I just feel like the teams where far much closer together competitively when Nicky made it through the ranks, vs. the mess Spies had to run up against.

No fault of Spies, I like the kid, I just can't get a clear glimpse of how much better or worse he is compared to Hayden.
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 09:25 PM
PCP

I hope he does well on the Duc as well.
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 09:28 PM
FAsT BOYS

good for nicky
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 10:04 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
I hear ya man... I just feel like the teams where far much closer together competitively when Nicky made it through the ranks, vs. the mess Spies had to run up against.

No fault of Spies, I like the kid, I just can't get a clear glimpse of how much better or worse he is compared to Hayden.
well, my take on it is that when Nick won in the AMA he was running against guys that are mid-packers now, guys that Hacker and Ben go by like they're lappers.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 10:08 PM
PCP

Quote:
well, my take on it is that when Nick won in the AMA he was running against guys that are mid-packers now, guys that Hacker and Ben go by like they're lappers.
On that same note, one could argue that the only reason he won the AMA in 02 was because Mladin was out hurt. But that's just racing.

I still think Nicky is a great rider just has to find his fit, maybe the Duc will be it... We will all find out next season for sure
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 10:11 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
On that same note, one could argue that the only reason he won the AMA in 02 was because Mladin was out hurt. But that's just racing.

I still think Nicky is a great rider just has to find his fit, maybe the Duc will be it... We will all find out next season for sure
I have made that argument before.

His biggest threats in the title where Bostrom on a 750 while Haydens on a 1000, and "I pull out of races if I don't feel right" Miguel, who had one leg smashed into about eleventy billion pieces at the time and spent half the season out.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 10:17 PM
PCP

Quote:
I have made that argument before.

His biggest threats in the title where Bostrom on a 750 while Haydens on a 1000, and "I pull out of races if I don't feel right" Miguel, who had one leg smashed into about eleventy billion pieces at the time and spent half the season out.
Yeah oh well, he won it though. Can't take it away from him because others didn't keep it on 2. I would have prefered Mladin to win though, haha... Just like how some people argue he didn't deserve the GP championship. He won it... no denying that, just because he didn't dominate the season doesn't mean he didn't earn it IMO.

I would like to see him do well, at least he isn't a cocky asshole like some of the other riders I've met... him and his brothers all seem like good guys.
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 10:40 PM
7c Forever

frankly... I could stand to see a few more cocky assholes.

I mean Mladin is the king of the cocky assholes, and I love him for it. He says what he means and means what he says, and I can ALWAYS rely on him to voice his opinion. I don't always agree with it, but atleast I know he's not just saying what he thinks "we the fanbase" want to hear.

When I hear Nick or Rossi or most of them speak, I don't really believe them 'cause I'm about 98% sure that they're atleast partially censoring what they really think.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 10:49 PM
PCP

Quote:
frankly... I could stand to see a few more cocky assholes.

I mean Mladin is the king of the cocky assholes, and I love him for it. He says what he means and means what he says, and I can ALWAYS rely on him to voice his opinion. I don't always agree with it, but atleast I know he's not just saying what he thinks "we the fanbase" want to hear.

When I hear Nick or Rossi or most of them speak, I don't really believe them 'cause I'm about 98% sure that they're atleast partially censoring what they really think.
No, I totally agree with you on that aspect of it. I was more referring to the people who think they do nothing wrong and it's always the mechanics fault, or something else besides them. Mladin is VERY outspoken... that's why I like him also, because he doesn't kiss ass, and doesn't blame other people for his problems. As far as nicky, I meant more as a person. I met him and both of his brothers and they weren't too famous to shoot the shit just like they were a couple of guys. Spies on the other hand wouldn't even take off his stunner shades and sign autographs until he "had to"
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 11:05 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Spies on the other hand wouldn't even take off his stunner shades and sign autographs until he "had to"
LOL.

fair enough. Really tho, his job is to kick ass and take names, not to make friends, and I'd say he's pretty good at his job.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode