Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

WSBK: Spies to World Superbike with Yamaha in 09

A sad day for suzuki riding ben spies fans:

SPEEDtv.com has concluded that triple AMA Superbike Champion Ben Spies, who will make his last appearance for Yoshimura Suzuki this weekend at Laguna Seca in the AMA season finale, will ride for the official Yamaha World Superbike team next year in the World Superbike Championship.

Neither Ben nor his manager, Doug Gonda, can confirm this yet, due to contractual agreements, but Spies and his mother, Mary, visited the Yamaha factory workshops in Italy earlier this week. This plus the fact that three reliable and independent Italian sources have informed SPEEDtv.com that the Yamaha Motor Italia team, directed by Massimo Meregalli, has reached an agreement with Spies, convince us that the Texan will be with Yamaha in SBK in 2009. In spite of a promising test ride by French MotoGP rider Sylvain Guintoli (currently riding with Alice Ducati in MotoGP) at Vallelunga last Monday, Yamaha has found their replacement for Noriyuki Haga.

This we know:

Gonda contacted several MotoGP and World Superbike teams. Suzuki seemed the logical choice, but the Rizla Suzuki MotoGP team renewed contracts with both their riders. It seemed at Indianapolis that there could be an agreement with Gianluca Montiron, owner of the JiR Honda team, but Honda could not supply an additional bike having already committed their last available RC212V to Japanese rider Yuki Takahashi and the Scot Racing Team. There were also advanced talks with the Ducati Xerox team in World Superbike, but the combination of Spies' high salary demands and Ducati's insistence on at least a two-year deal stopped that deal.

No details of the Spies contract are known, but it was his manager’s intention to either clinch a single-year deal or a multi-year agreement that included the possibility of wild card MotoGP riders and eventual promotion to a factory-supported team. He will team with young British star Tom Sykes, currently riding for Rizla Suzuki in the British Superbike Championship.

Both Gonda and Meregalli repeated today (Saturday, September 27) that no statement could be made until September 30th.

Spies will be the first American to ride a factory bike in World Superbike since fellow Texan Colin Edwards (then with Honda) won the 2002 title from Troy Bayliss (Ducati) on the final day of the season at Imola.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 12:54 PM
No Crying Allowed

Congrat's Ben.... nice to see him on the Yamaha for next year!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Lover View Post
Congrat's Ben.... nice to see him on the Yamaha for next year!
no its not he dont belong there

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 01:10 PM
7c Forever

wherever there's a decent seat. The Yamaha wasn't exactly my idea of a killer superbike squad, but c'est la vie. It'll have to do.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 01:25 PM
No Crying Allowed

I agree it's not my choice though, so I'm just supporting him in his decision.... I would have loved to see him on the MotoGP Honda or Zuk myself

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
wherever there's a decent seat. The Yamaha wasn't exactly my idea of a killer superbike squad, but c'est la vie. It'll have to do.
its strange that out of both this story and the previous "which i posted under recent silly season" theres nothing saying of any talks with wsbk suzuki....i wonder if somethings going on between the two parties? Bc wsbk suzuki squad still has 2 open seats and has already voiced theyd like to have him, i wouldve thought that if he had to go the wsbk route that would be his 1st choice, not ducati and now yamaha....but i think this decision was made based of the fact that theres some wild card rides in place for him and a possible move to tech 3 in 2010... maybe suzuki nor ducati could promise this....

post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
For the past 2 seasons, they're much better than the Suzuki WSBK squad, right now they're one of the top 2 packages to have.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi View Post
For the past 2 seasons, they're much better than the Suzuki WSBK squad, right now they're one of the top 2 packages to have.
idk i think they just had better riders....biaggi gave them a run for there money last year and it was his 1st year on the zuke.... haga/corser are consistent and thats the key.... but i do agree they have a great package over there the yamaha has been fantastic over there these past 2 yrs....cant say the same about the american squad thou

post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid1000 View Post
idk i think they just had better riders....biaggi gave them a run for there money last year and it was his 1st year on the zuke.... haga/corser are consistent and thats the key.... but i do agree they have a great package over there the yamaha has been fantastic over there these past 2 yrs....cant say the same about the american squad thou
What American squad?
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
What American squad?
ama yamaha

post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid1000 View Post
ama yamaha
Oh... they hired sucky riders...
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Oh... they hired sucky riders...
lmao stupid them

post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 02:00 PM
250 cc pilota.

Quote:
Id say they are right on par with any oterh WSBK team, Ducati Corse have the rules in their favour but thats about it.

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 02:04 PM
7c Forever

ya I'd agree.

My only issue is that they'll be starting from scratch, developement wise, and he could have stepped onto a GSXR that's basicly the same as the one that he's won 3 championships on. Personally I'd say that may have been a wiser move, BUT, this isn't about results for next year, it's about getting into GP on a good seat.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
ya I'd agree.

My only issue is that they'll be starting from scratch, developement wise, and he could have stepped onto a GSXR that's basicly the same as the one that he's won 3 championships on. Personally I'd say that may have been a wiser move, BUT, this isn't about results for next year, it's about getting into GP on a good seat.
yup i think thats why he did it...he's looking at the big picture and even though im sure either capirex or vermulen are on there way out after next year i think spies sees that the bike needs alot of work to win and he's never been one to have to be on a shitty bike

post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

I think it's a good move on Ben's part. The Yamaha has been one of the top contenders the past several years. Also Colin's contract with Tech 3 ends next year. So there's a possible seat for him, and I think Yamaha is thinking the same thing.
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Mat

My only concern with Ben going to the Yamaha Italia team is who is going to set the bike up? The team will have two new to WSBK and Yamaha riders along with a new engine, so a lot work will have to go into the set up. Next there will more teams entered and a higher level of competition than this year, so teams will have to be right on their game in order to be competitive.
I'm sure he will do well, but it could take a while into the season before he sees results.. kind of like Kiyo this year.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
My only concern with Ben going to the Yamaha Italia team is who is going to set the bike up? The team will have two new to WSBK and Yamaha riders along with a new engine, so a lot work will have to go into the set up. Next there will more teams entered and a higher level of competition than this year, so teams will have to be right on their game in order to be competitive.
I'm sure he will do well, but it could take a while into the season before he sees results.. kind of like Kiyo this year.
my point exactly

post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Mr.

Glade to see him land a seat for 09 so soon.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 06:09 AM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
Im anctious to see how he does...

and ...yes i dont know how to spell ancious...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode