Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation MotoGP » MotoGP goes single-tyre for 2009. *OFFICIAL*

MotoGP goes single-tyre for 2009.

Sunday, 28th September 2008

The MotoGP World Championship will become a single tyre brand series from the 2009 season.

The MotoGP World Championship will become a single tyre brand series from the 2009 season, it was announced at Motegi on Sunday morning.

The rule - which mirrors that of the World Superbike Championship and Formula One World Championship - came close to being introduced for 2008, after new tyre regulations introduced at the start of last season saw a series of races where Bridgestone (and occasionally Michelin) held a clear performance advantage.

Despite a promising start to this season, Michelin once again struck severe problems due to unsuitable tyres - resulting in cut slicks being seen in dry morning practice at Laguna Seca, whilst world champions Jorge Lorenzo and James Toseland were unable to lap inside the 107% qualifying time next time out at a wet Brno.

Dani Pedrosa, who had led the world championship for Michelin until he fell from the lead of a wet German Grand Prix on July 13, then deflated the once all-conquering French brand further when he made a shock switch to Bridgestones after August's San Marino Grand Prix.

It is for competitive reasons that the majority of MotoGP riders support the introduction of a one-tyre rule - despite Bridgestone and Michelin being strongly opposed to it - but improving competition is not why the new rule has been introduced.

Instead Michelin, Bridgestone - or perhaps even both - will be forced out of the MotoGP paddock 'for safety and cost reasons'.

"For safety and cost reasons, the Grand Prix Commission, composed of Messrs. Carmelo Ezpeleta (Dorna, Chairman), Claude Danis (FIM), Hervé Poncharal (IRTA) and Takanao Tsubouchi (MSMA), in the presence of Mr. Paul Butler (Secretary of the meeting), in a meeting held today at the circuit of Motegi, unanimously decided to introduce the following change to the FIM Road Racing World Championship Grand Prix Regulations," read a statement from the FIM.

"The Grand Prix Commission has decided unanimously that there will be a single tyre supplier for the MotoGP class from 2009. Proposals to supply the tyres must be handed to the FIM and Dorna by October 3rd at the latest. The final decision will be announced by the GP Commission by October 18th at the latest."

Whilst it can be argued that an end to tyre competition will slow down development, might the winner of the new MotoGP tyre contract be requested to limit side grip in order to meet such safety obligations?

Despite a public lack of enthusiasm for the rule, it is presumed that Bridgestone, currently on course for its second MotoGP title in succession, will win the tyre contract, especially since the top three riders in the championship - Valentino Rossi, Casey Stoner and Pedrosa - are all using Bridgestone tyres and have openly criticised Michelin in the past.

Pedrosa's mid-season move left his Repsol Honda team-mate Nicky Hayden and Yamaha's Jorge Lorenzo as the only factory riders still using Michelin tyres, and meant the full time 18-rider grid is divided 12-6 in favour of Bridgestone.

MotoGP goes single-tyre for 2009. | MOTOGP News | Crash.Net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
CRAP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 08:28 PM
7c Forever

ya I think I speak for us all when I say "oh shit."

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biga View Post
CRAP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
ya I think I speak for us all when I say "oh shit."
If the new rule really mirrors F1 and WSBK, then it should be spec-tire, not just single brand...
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 09:05 PM
7c Forever

if that's the case it's not oh shit, it's ok. I mean I was against it last year, but I understand the position, with a proper spec tire atleast you know it's gonna always work and it'll be even.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 09:08 PM
No Crying Allowed

I like it myself, but what about the rumors of Ducati and Kawi being on Michelin's next year... lol I guess that's why there called rumors

I think this will take the tire out of the race and that always makes for better racing and that's what we all want right?

But again some people hate change and I love it... lol

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Resident Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Lover View Post
I like it myself, but what about the rumors of Ducati and Kawi being on Michelin's next year... lol I guess that's why there called rumors

I think this will take the tire out of the race and that always makes for better racing and that's what we all want right?

But again some people hate change and I love it... lol
You know what strikes me odd, Michelin dominated for years, since the death of their CEO everything went downhill.

Tires won't change s**t, look at Indy Brigdestone won and also came in last with Michelin in the middle.

I hate this new rule so much I can't put it in to words.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 09:16 PM
No Crying Allowed

Well it will do one thing for sure... it will make it more even and you won't see Stoner or Rossi 4 seconds behind because there tire company didn't bring the right tires to the track... that will make for better racing.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Resident Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Lover View Post
Well it will do one thing for sure... it will make it more even and you won't see Stoner or Rossi 4 seconds behind because there tire company didn't bring the right tires to the track... that will make for better racing.
How do you figure????

Except for Laguna, all races have been one rider getting well ahead of the rest.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Michelin considers one tyre bid.

Sunday, 28th September 2008

Michelin to announce 'in the next few days' if it will bid for the new exclusive MotoGP tyre contract.

Michelin has responded to this morning's announcement that the MotoGP World Championship will become a single tyre series from 2009 'due to safety and cost reasons' by issuing the following statement:

"The decision to move to a single tyre supplier for the 2009 MotoGP World Championship is a major change to the regulations of a series that was created in 1949.

"Michelin notes with interest the reasons given by the governors of this sport to which Michelin remains very committed after many years of involvement.

"Michelin is examining the opportunities offered by these new regulations and will make an announcement in the next few days as to whether or not the company will tender to supply tyres to the premier class championship that Michelin has won on 26 occasions since 1973."

Michelin's MotoGP rival Bridgestone, which currently supplies 12 of the 18 full time riders, is considered favorite to win the one tyre contract.

Michelin considers one tyre bid. | MOTOGP News | Crash.Net
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 10:30 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biga View Post
How do you figure????

Except for Laguna, all races have been one rider getting well ahead of the rest.
That's only because someone kept going in the gravel

|
|
|
|
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

thank god speeds statements werent true....now hopefully spies to yamaha wont be true either

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 10:42 PM
7c Forever

I hope Michelin gets the contract and that it's not a spec tire. I'm sure they'll develop the direction that Rossi and Pedrosa want

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I hope Michelin gets the contract and that it's not a spec tire. I'm sure they'll develop the direction that Rossi and Pedrosa want
lmao more like rossi and lorenzo....pedrosas out of the click after his mid season switch....how embarrising

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 10:47 PM
7c Forever

well after Rossi very nearly got them thrown out of the season last year I'm pretty sure he's on their shit list too.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 10:59 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid1000 View Post
thank god speeds statements werent true....now hopefully spies to yamaha wont be true either
ya I was hoping he would get a GP ride

|
|
|
|
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 11:01 PM
7c Forever

I'd rather him be on a factory WSBK ride than a satellite GP ride.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
well after Rossi very nearly got them thrown out of the season last year I'm pretty sure he's on their shit list too.
yea but he's rossi theyd take him back in a heart beat

Quote:
I'd rather him be on a factory WSBK ride than a satellite GP ride.
true just not wsbk factory yamaha lmao

Last edited by kid1000; 09-28-2008 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Gang Green

whats so bad with wsbk factory yami? haga has won races on the bike this year.

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 03:08 PM
7c Forever

I'm not bad with it, it's an ok team. Just next years bike is a whole new ballgame and a total unknown. The GSXR would have been a known quantity, could have stepped onto it with a known good baseline set-up, ready to kick ass and take names.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode