Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Puig- on Hayden and other topics

Keen to make things clear, Alberto Puig gave an exclusive in-depth interview to motogp.com this week, pulling no punches on such issues as his charge Dani Pedrosa, outgoing Repsol Honda rider Nicky Hayden and the move to a single tyre manufacturer for 2009.
Dani was one of the title contenders during 2008, but now even getting second in the Championship from the last two races is looking difficult. What happened?
`First of all, other riders did a better job, there´s no doubt about that. Dani began the season still recovering from recent surgery; even like this, he was leading the World Championship when we got to Germany (July´s Alice Motorrad Grand Prix Deutschland). Another crash and another operation midway through the season broke his rhythm and that´s when the outlook changed. He lost a lot of points in just a few races and then lost his chance to fight for the title.´
A radical change made was to switch tyres from Michelin to Bridgestone. What led to this decision?
`Because the material we had then wasn't up to our expectations. This year the only ones who were really keen to keep working with Michelin were Honda and Dani Pedrosa. We were promised competitive material and we had that in the first four races, but then -I don't why- the tyres weren´t as efficient afterwards, and that was a long time before Dani crashed in Germany. When you want to fight for a World Championship, it´s natural to get the best - if you don´t have that clear, then you're not sure about what you´re doing. I believe that Michelin did all that they could and we have to be grateful for that; Dani also did his best with that material, but it just wasn´t enough.´
Are you doing a better job with the garage partition in place?
`I wouldn´t say that. We work the same way as always. The wall was something that the tyre manufacturers requested; it had happened before with Yamaha and now it happens in our team; it´s not as if anybody specifically requested it. Dani never followed what his team-mate was doing, so we keep working the same way as before, when there wasn´t a wall. Dani wasn´t affected by this.´
Dani´s Repsol Honda teammate Nicky Hayden has mentioned in various interviews that he isn´t keen on the divide. Was there previously any kind of collaboration that no longer exists?
`All I can say is that Hayden may be bothered because now he can´t access information and telemetry data from Dani´s bike. With this information he was able to improve his riding, as he had all of Dani´s references and now he can´t use that any longer. He was simply copying as he never knew how to set-up a bike. A professional rider can´t be complaining because he can´t get access to the other rider´s data, because finding what works best is his job, not the other rider´s. Everybody knows that a racing team doesn´t work like a football team. It involves two riders, but each is working for himself and the factory will support the rider who has the best chance. Because when it comes to winning, only one rider wins. It has always been like this and it always will be like this - anybody who says the opposite is just lying to look good.´
Would it be true to say that the relationship between Dani and Hayden has always been quite tense, and that there's nothing new in this respect?

`That´s not the case. Everything changed with the incident in Portugal (in 2006), where Dani made a mistake during the race and apologised for it afterwards. Nicky eventually won the title and Dani did what he had to do in Valencia, which was to help him. But from that point -even if Hayden denies it- all he´s been doing has been talking about how Dani was `weird´ and bringing the people around Pedrosa into the subject. He shouldn´t act like a hypocrite and say that he doesn´t have a problem with Dani, because since that incident in Portugal I think he has talked to him about twice. He shouldn´t involve Dani´s manager in this just because he´s jealous of another rider.´
Was the rivalry between the two as strong as one might think?
`Honestly, and without trying to offend anyone, there was never a rivalry in the garage. Nicky won the title when Dani was in his first MotoGP season, and since then there was no rivalry because he (Hayden) didn´t get the results. On his own, Dani gained experience in this class and Nicky was always behind him, so Nicky has never been a serious rival.´
At the end of last season, there was a lot of talk about the need to improve communication within Honda. Was it the case this year?
`On our side we had a great season when it comes to communicating and work with the team. On the practical side of things, we made a step forward and the factory in Japan also stepped up and has been working frenetically, which gave results seeing that now the bike is performing well. The new Team Manager, (Kazuhiko) Yamano, is very determined in any decision he takes and it has been a great benefit.´
Some critics say that you´re the one who controls things in Honda. How would you reply to that?
`In my opinion, those who say that just lack respect to Honda and the work that they do. All I can do is bring my experience of racing like Honda has asked me to do, as I´ve been working for a long time with Pedrosa and Honda, forming the 125cc and 250cc teams and winning three titles with them. If you refer to Hayden saying that I´m the one who´s in charge or used to be in charge, then he has to understand that in this job and in this paddock, anyone who believes he is in charge of anything is simply wrong. Nobody has control over things or is in charge of anything -results decide everything and put the people in the place they are.´
Nicky won't be with Honda in 2009, but Dani neither reached the goals which were set for him...
`For sure we didn't get the results we expected or that Honda expected this year. It happened to Hayden this year and they eventually got rid of him, and it could also happen to Dani Pedrosa at some point if he doesn´t get the results. For a manufacturer such as Honda, all that counts is getting the title. Any professional rider is aware of this, and like in Hayden´s case, you should know that what makes the difference is not the fact that your crew is doing more or less or saying this and that, but what the rider is able to do on the track every Sunday.´
What do you think the move to a single tyre will mean for Dani, who has already been using Bridgestone tyres for the last few races?
`When we decided to change tyre manufacturer, it was to look for the material that gave the most confidence possible. From my point of view this decision is not one that can be complained about. The races will become more even and there will not be the gap between riders that we have seen in the past few years. Everyone will have the same rubber; it isn´t clear yet what the tyre will be like, but there will be variations, with each rider able to adjust their bike to the available material. On a technical level it has been interesting for us to try out these tyres in 2008, now that we know that they are what will be used next year and have some data to work with over pre-season for fine-tuning the bike.
Finally, in 2009 Dani will have a new teammate, Andrea Dovizioso. What is your view on his signing for Repsol Honda?
`It is a logical step for a rider who has ridden for Honda his entire career, through 125cc, 250cc and MotoGP. He has shown loyalty to the factory, and now he gets a perfect move for him. As for how it will affect us? It really won´t change much and won´t affect our way of working. He will be another rival on the track.´
idk what to say about him "puig" but i know one thing i hope Hayden wopes Pedrosa/repsol ass next year

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kid1000; 10-08-2008 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 07:17 AM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Not a big NH fan, but somehow I doubt he was accessing Pedrosa's info. What a load of S**T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 07:26 AM
250 cc pilota.

At least he is not afraid to speak and say what he believes to be the truth. I have to give him credit for that.
If he is right in everything is another story but he is probably not totally off teh mark either.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 07:32 AM

This is hysterical... I love it... And I am being told there were no problems in that camp.

You know what I don't get is this... I really don't understand why Puig is so bitter. If you look at the results, in 2007 & 2008 NH was not only 2nd to Dani in the garage but so was he in the results. If all these stupid claims are true, then NH deserves the results he's gotten...

But I seriously doubt it...

Again Puig\Dani are providing the development directive of the RC212v, again this man's character gets in the way on understanding the questions, even if the media in this instance failed to be more specific. In other words, if your efforts are providing direction for development, guess whose basket Honda is then putting their eggs in?

Oh yeah... in 2006 Puig said it was Hayden's fault Dani ran into him.... here he says Dani apologized for making a mistake... talk about being a hypocrite...

I think all this talk of jealousy is misplaced. We all know who has the "fortunate" title... I put that fortunate part in there for my NH hating homies
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 07:59 AM

I agree with Gustav on this one.

How much do you guys know from inside Honda that this is a load of sh*t? Even if Puig may have exaggerated some of his comments, I doubt they're completely false. There is no secret that NH is not the best person to set up a bike, I believe this is why he had to do 100 laps while others only needed 60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerraul View Post
Oh yeah... in 2006 Puig said it was Hayden's fault Dani ran into him.... here he says Dani apologized for making a mistake... talk about being a hypocrite...
What Puig said in 2006 doesn't mean Dani didn't apologize, and I don't recall Puig said it was NH's fault, even if he did, it's two different things.

Quote:
"What can I say? I made a mistake and I'm really sorry," offered Pedrosa. "It's the first time I've hit another rider in my career - it's never happened before in practice or racing in six years and it's happened at the worst moment that I could do it. Obviously I'm very unhappy and Nicky is not happy and I just want to apologise because I made a mistake. I said sorry to Nicky and I can understand that he is very upset – I wish I could change it. I didn't want to pass him at that moment. I braked and my rear wheel came off the ground and then it touched the ground again, I got a little more speed. I couldn't stop the bike and there was nowhere to go. I have a fracture in my little finger but we have time for it to be ok for Valencia."

Hayden, Pedrosa talk after 'title suicide'. | MOTOGP News
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:17 AM

Vale... you have as much insight as we do about NH not being able to setup a bike.

You assumption for the number of laps as the reason is a contradiction of what Puig is reporting. He didn't say NH did a bunch of laps because he can't tell his engineers what the bike is doing... he said he used our settings because he can't set up a bike. Not the same thing from where I am standing.

You quoted, Dani... now go find out what Puig said... I am sure you can even search this forum & find my post calling him an idiot back then.

Found it... you're welcome.
Soup :: Pedrosa's Manager Blames Hayden For Collision Seen 'Round the World :: 10-19-2006

Last edited by racerraul; 10-08-2008 at 08:20 AM.
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Vale... you have as much insight as we do about NH not being able to setup a bike.
True, but Puig and Dani aren't the first persons within the paddock that called NH's set up abilities out, I'm just taking their words for it.

Quote:
You assumption for the number of laps as the reason is a contradiction of what Puig is reporting. He didn't say NH did a bunch of laps because he can't tell his engineers what the bike is doing... he said he used our settings because he can't set up a bike. Not the same thing from where I am standing.
Just because Puig didn't say that, it doesn't mean it's contradicting. Taking the information from Dani and able to adopt it are two different things.

Quote:
You quoted, Dani... now go find out what Puig said... I am sure you can even search this forum & find my post calling him an idiot back then.
That's your job, because you're the one that said Puig said it in 2006 without posting his quote. But like I said, even if he did say that, it doesn't mean what he said about Dani apologized is not true. Puig can still have his own opinion about the whole incident.

post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:29 AM

Its there now... you'll have to forgive me if I don't give that guy much credit.

If you and I were team mates, and you were taking my setups and failing... I wouldn't be upset... now if you were kickin my ass I'd be pissed. So something here doesn't add up...
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

heres a little more on the subject although its partially saying the same thing:

Dani Pedrosa's manager Alberto Puig has launched a stinging attack on the Spaniard's departing Repsol Honda team-mate Nicky Hayden - saying that the American used to 'copy' Pedrosa's settings because he can't set-up a bike himself, was never a rival to Pedrosa and is a 'hypocrite' for claiming that he doesn't have a problem with Dani.

During an interview with the official MotoGP website, former 500cc race winner Puig was asked about the wall which now divides the Repsol Honda pits, following Pedrosa's shock mid-season switch to Bridgestone tyres. Hayden has indicated that he doesn't like the idea of a team being divided.

"All I can say is that Hayden may be bothered because now he can't access information and telemetry data from Dani's bike," replied Puig. "With this information he was able to improve his riding, as he had all of Dani's references and now he can't use that any longer. He was simply copying as he never knew how to set-up a bike."
But that doesn't seem to be reflected in terms of results. In the three races since the Repsol Honda pits were divided, Hayden has enjoyed his best form of the season - claiming two podium finishes and beating Pedrosa in two of the three races.

Indeed, during the last three rounds, Hayden has scored 47 points, while Pedrosa has managed just 24. It should of course be noted that Pedrosa is still adapting to his new tyres and the pneumatic-valve engine and also fell on lap one of Sunday's Australian Grand Prix.

Turning to the subject of the prickly relationship between Pedrosa and Hayden, Puig admitted that it hasn't been the same since Dani collided with Hayden at the 2006 Portuguese Grand Prix - eliminating Hayden from the world championship lead with just one round to go.

Hayden subsequently won the title at the Valencia season finale, during which Dani waved him past early in race, but Puig claims the 2006 world champion has acted like a 'hypocrite' and is 'jealous'.
"Everything changed with the incident in Portugal, where Dani made a mistake during the race and apologised for it afterwards," said Puig. "Nicky eventually won the title and Dani did what he had to do in Valencia, which was to help him. But from that point - even if Hayden denies it - all he's been doing has been talking about how Dani was 'weird' and bringing the people around Pedrosa into the subject. He shouldn't act like a hypocrite and say that he doesn't have a problem with Dani, because since that incident in Portugal I think he has talked to him about twice. He shouldn't involve Dani's manager in this just because he's jealous of another rider."

But Puig played down any rivalry between Pedrosa and Hayden, since Hayden 'was always behind him'.

"Honestly, and without trying to offend anyone, there was never a rivalry in the garage," he said. "Nicky won the title when Dani was in his first MotoGP season, and since then there was no rivalry because he [Hayden] didn't get the results. On his own, Dani gained experience in this class and Nicky was always behind him, so Nicky has never been a serious rival."
Although Hayden hasn't won a race since 2006, he remains Honda's most recent MotoGP champion, with Pedrosa finishing second in 2007 and currently third in the 2008 standings with two rounds to go.

Hayden will switch to Ducati next season when Pedrosa, Honda's only MotoGP race winner since 2006 with four victories on the RC212V, will be partnered by Andrea Dovizioso. Puig admitted that Pedrosa is under pressure to secure the title.
For sure we didn't get the results we expected or that Honda expected this year. It happened to Hayden this year and they eventually got rid of him, and it could also happen to Dani Pedrosa at some point if he doesn't get the results," admitted Puig. "For a manufacturer such as Honda, all that counts is getting the title. Any professional rider is aware of this, and like in Hayden´s case, you should know that what makes the difference is not the fact that your crew is doing more or less or saying this and that, but what the rider is able to do on the track every Sunday."

Puig also responded to claims that he runs the Repsol Honda garage.

"In my opinion, those who say that just lack respect to Honda and the work that they do," he replied. "All I can do is bring my experience of racing like Honda has asked me to do, as I've been working for a long time with Pedrosa and Honda, forming the 125cc and 250cc teams and winning three titles with them. If you refer to Hayden saying that I'm the one who's in charge or used to be in charge, then he has to understand that in this job and in this paddock, anyone who believes he is in charge of anything is simply wrong. Nobody has control over things or is in charge of anything - results decide everything and put the people in the place they are."
And what of Dovizioso's promotion to the factory Honda team in 2009?

"It is a logical step for a rider who has ridden for Honda his entire career, through 125cc, 250cc and MotoGP. [Dovizioso] has shown loyalty to the factory, and now he gets a perfect move for him," he said. "As for how it will affect us? It really won't change much and won't affect our way of working. He will be another rival on the track."

post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Its there now... you'll have to forgive me if I don't give that guy much credit.

If you and I were team mates, and you were taking my setups and failing... I wouldn't be upset... now if you were kickin my ass I'd be pissed. So something here doesn't add up...
Didn't NH just kick Dani's ass in the past 2-3 races? NH had Dani's Michelin data from 2007 for the 800s, while Dani was working with the new Bridgestone. Something does add up imo.
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

whats strange to me is that if NH has been copying pedrosas data how is it that he was able to perform well his championship season off a rookies feedback and how is it that he did the majority of setting up the bike for 2008 when pedrosa was injured and taking alot of the fastest laps in the practices? it couldnt have been from using data from 07 because it was a different bike. Im not exactly a NH fan but to say that he relys on pedrosa to guide himself in setting up his bike i find a little far fecthed especially if there on such minamal speaking terms and their riding styles contrast like night and day

post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid1000 View Post
whats strange to me is that if NH has been copying pedrosas data how is it that he was able to perform well his championship season off a rookies feedback and how is it that he did the majority of setting up the bike for 2008 when pedrosa was injured and taking alot of the fastest laps in the practices? it couldnt have been from using data from 07 because it was a different bike. Im not exactly a NH fan but to say that he relys on pedrosa to guide himself in setting up his bike i find a little far fecthed especially if there on such minamal speaking terms and their riding styles contrast like night and day
In 2006, you don't think NH had access to Rossi's data? Mind you it was still a RC211V in 2006. For 2007, sure the bike was not completely the same as 2008, but the 2008 machine is somewhat based on 2007's. They also did other pre-season tests in PI with the 2008 machine.
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi View Post
Didn't NH just kick Dani's ass in the past 2 races? NH had Dani's Michelin data from 2007 for the 800s, while Dani was working with the new Bridgestone. Something does add up imo.
Nah you assume way too much... NH was kicking Dani's ass last year in PI as well before the bike broke. It is a far much more conclusive "assumption" that they were not sharing crap all the time as Puig would have you believe...

But hey... I am not saying it's impossible. If I was asked to ride a bike like yours the way you do... I'd want to know how the heck you;re doing it before I sat on it. But once I got on it, things would have to change... in particular, sag... that has got to be worlds appart between those two guys.

And he is not taking a shot @ NH only... he is saying his crew isn't able to accomodate NH.

The shit doesn't add up... there is more to this mess than has yet been let out. There has to be... This makes no sense.

Teams sharing info is not a new concept.
post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
In 2006, you don't think NH had access to Rossi's data? Mind you it was still a RC211V in 2006. For 2007, sure the bike is not completely the same as 2008, but the 2008 machine is somewhat based on 2007's. They also did other pre-season tests.
true but then again were only assuming that thats what he did...noone knows for sure but he obviously did alot of the development and was successful with the 08 bike i doubt that danis data helped him looking at danis results in 07 vs nickys

post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
In 2006, you don't think NH had access to Rossi's data? Mind you it was still a RC211V in 2006. For 2007, sure the bike was not completely the same as 2008, but the 2008 machine is somewhat based on 2007's. They also did other pre-season tests in PI with the 2008 machine.
Damn man he had Rossi's data since '03... ....

whatever...
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Nah you assume way too much... NH was kicking Dani's ass last year in PI as well before the bike broke. It is a far much more conclusive "assumption" that they were not sharing crap all the time as Puig would have you believe...

But hey... I am not saying it's impossible. If I was asked to ride a bike like yours the way you do... I'd want to know how the heck you;re doing it before I sat on it. But once I got on it, things would have to change... in particular, sag... that has got to be worlds appart between those two guys.

And he is not taking a shot @ NH only... he is saying his crew isn't able to accomodate NH.

The shit doesn't add up... there is more to this mess than has yet been let out. There has to be... This makes no sense.

Teams sharing info is not a new concept.
and where did this come from all the sudden? he came out with this info like hes angry about something.... if danis so much better and hayden aint shit to him whys he sweetn him? and at time when he's on his way out? i think because haydens turning results with the lesser bike...lesser tires and parts

post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I assume as much as you are, that's all. Just like you assume everything Puig said is false.

Quote:
In one of my previous posts, I did say taking the information from Dani and able to adopt it are two different things. And this is why I (imo) believe NH needed all those extra laps to find a setting that he likes. But hey, don't take my words for it, take NH's, on many occasions (tests), after so many laps at the end of the day, NH would say he couldn't find the right setup in interviews, I'm sure you have seen those quotes before.

post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Damn man he had Rossi's data since '03... ....

whatever...
Why so funny? Please explain.
post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:11 AM

IDK... maybe he needs 1 more year with Honda to turn Dani's settings into another world title .

Seriously man... I am not calling Puig a liar... but HE is calling NH a hypocrite and the way this is all coming out you can't help but question why the heck is he saying all of this... what it the root cause? NH has not done better than Dani the past two years... I don't get it.

He makes is sound like NH has no crew, and just walks into the garage and points accross the garage...

Something doesn't add up... again teams sharing information is not a new concept.
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:17 AM

Wait... i think I got it...

This is just an effort to make a new bed to fall back on just in case NH does well with Ducati. We'll be able to say that its all because of Stoner's settings...

DUH!!!! Unless there is a diff bike... what the heck do you think will happen
Share information perhaps? Dunno just a wild guess...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode