Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation MotoGP » Gibernau's MotoGP return confirmed.

Gibernau's MotoGP return confirmed.

Thursday, 23rd October 2008

Sete Gibernau to ride a fifth Ducati Desmosedici for the new Francisco Hernando Onde 2000 team in the 2009 MotoGP World Championship.

As rumoured, former double MotoGP World Championship runner-up Sete Gibernau will end his two-year retirement and return to premier-class action next season.

It was officially announced at Valencia on Thursday evening that the Spaniard will ride a fifth Ducati Desmosedici GP9 for the new Francisco Hernando Onde 2000 squad, run by '12+1' world champion Angel Nieto's sons Pablo and Gelete.

"I'm excited about what it means to be a MotoGP rider," said Gibernau. "I've come back to enjoy it again and it's a good opportunity for me. That's my main goal; to enjoy riding. I'm still open to learning again, even at 35... I'm going to have to work very hard and I'm ready for that."

Gibernau's Desmosedici will be dressed in white, black and gold colours next year, although his racing number remains unknown. Sete's traditional #15 was taken by Alex de Angelis this season and the bike present at the launch had a question mark in place of a racing number.

Gibernau was Honda's leading rider - and Valentino Rossi's closest title rival - during the 2003 and 2004 seasons, but the pressure of fighting the dominant Italian seemed to take its toll and Sete was left winless in 2005, despite five pole positions.

The Spaniard then moved to the factory Ducati team for the 2006 season, when bad luck and injuries prevented a podium finish. Sete lost his seat to future world champion Casey Stoner for 2007.

After a year away from the racetrack, Gibernau burst back onto the MotoGP scene when his presence as a spectator at June's Catalan Grand Prix resulted in an invitation from Ducati to test an early version of next year's GP9.

Gibernau - a former Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda and Ducati grand prix rider - set a best time of 1min 51.7sec on the radical carbon-fibre framed machine at Mugello, effectively equally the fastest lap by Alice's Toni Elias and Sylvain Guintoli during the Italian Grand Prix.

During his second test Gibernau also got the chance to try this year's GP8 - with which he dropped his best lap time down to a 1min 50.5sec, 0.6sec faster than Marco Melandri and 0.5sec behind Stoner's best Mugello race lap.

Ducati Corse's general manager Filippo Preziosi hoped that Gibernau's immediate pace with the GP8 would 'spur on' Melandri and Elias, who were both still struggling badly to adapt to the machine - Sylvain Guintoli having shown signs of progress.

Gibernau's third and final test for Ducati, in late July, saw him repeat his strong race pace and also set a qualifying tyre time good enough for eighth on the Italian GP grid. The Spaniard now looked certain to replace Melandri during the second half of the season, but the Melandri/Ducati split never happened and Gibernau was left on the sidelines - although clearly not forgotten.

Gibernau, a nine time 500cc/MotoGP race winner, claimed his most recent victory at the 2004 Qatar Grand Prix, a race which saw Rossi demoted to the back of the grid due to overnight grid cleaning by his team. Rightly or wrongly, Rossi blamed Gibernau for the 'unsporting' protest and, after the race, furiously declared that Gibernau 'would not win again'. Although relations between the pair subsequently improved, Rossi's 'curse' is yet to be broken.

Onde 2000 currently runs Pablo Nieto on KTM machinery in the 125cc World Championship. Pablo - a 125GP rider for the past ten seasons, during which he has claimed one race victory, eight podiums and three pole positions - has already announced that he will retire from racing and join brother Gelete in a management role for the team's 2009 MotoGP graduation.

Ducati's 2009 MotoGP line-up will thus be its biggest ever - featuring Stoner and Nicky Hayden at Ducati Marlboro, Mika Kallio and Niccolo Canepa at Pramac and Gibernau with Onde 2000. Gibernau deal has been helped by the single tyre rule, which ended the need for Ducati's Tyre Test Team.

Gibernau's deal means the full time MotoGP grid will increase from 18 to 19 riders next season.

Sete Gibernau - MotoGP career highlights:

500cc/MotoGP: 9 (wins), 30 (podiums), 13 (poles), 8 (fastest laps).

2006: Ducati 13th in world championship.
2005: Honda 7th in world championship.
2004: Honda 2nd in world championship (4 wins).
2003: Honda 2nd in world championship (4 wins).
2002: Suzuki 16th in world championship.
2001: Suzuki 9th in world championship (1 win).
2000: Honda 15th in world championship.
1999: Honda 5th in world championship.
1998: Honda 11th in world championship.
1997: Yamaha 13th in world championship.

Gibernau's MotoGP return confirmed. | MOTOGP News | Crash.Net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Wonder if Rossi curse still works on Giberhoe?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

What if he's faster than Stoner? I wonder if Suppo will tell him to back off like he did with Barros.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 05:15 PM
7c Forever

I think that curse ended when it backfired in '06.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 05:17 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi View Post
What if he's faster than Stoner? I wonder if Suppo will tell him to back off like he did with Barros.

Hopefully he will be faster then Rossi

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 05:18 PM
7c Forever

win 1 race and the whole Ducati camp gets to neener Rossi.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Abusin' the scooter

Send a message via Skype™ to Yamahuh
I hope he does well, I always liked 'The mullet' and there were a couple of seasons there where he was the ONLY rider consistently pressuring Rossi for wins. His last outing with Ducati was a year to forget but I'd like to see him competitive again.

Wonder what Rossi thinks of it all ... doubt he cares much one way or the other really.

“It’s really hard to take an angry man seriously when he’s wearing a bathrobe.” - Carl Fogarty
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 05:21 AM

lets hope his leather supplier puts extra thick shoulder pads in for jerez
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Suppo assures maximum support for all Ducati bikes in 2009

Preparing to regain the World Championship titles on all fronts in 2009, Ducati will be making a concerted effort to ensure equality between all their teams, MotoGP Project Manager Livio Suppo has revealed. The Italian boss has indicated that one of the chief goals for the manufacturer will be to get all their bikes, whether they be the factory outfit or the three satellite machines- up to race winning standard for the upcoming campaign.
`The bike will be equal to the factory machine. Every crew chief is contracted to Ducati, so let´s say that they will receive the same support and the same ability to exchange information. We´re making a big effort to have the maximum support for everyone,´ said Suppo ahead of the final race of the season in Valencia.
`This season we´ve been criticised by people so much, saying that the bike is only for Casey (Stoner), but maybe they are forgetting that we´ve only been off the podium twice!´ laughed the Ducati boss, referring to the additional podium finishes of Toni Elias at the tail end of the year.
Despite the intention towards equality, Monday´s post-race test will not see all Ducati riders on the latest prototype. However, the objective is to introduce the newest Desmosedici to everyone before the end of the year.
`The plan for the winter testing here at Valencia and Jerez is like this: here we will have two GP9s for Casey and Nicky (Hayden), and all the other guys on the GP8. Then at Jerez, where Casey will not be riding, we will try and give everyone a GP9 if we can.´
In addition to Stoner and Hayden, Ducati´s 2009 lineup will also include Mika Kallio, Niccolo Canepa and Sete Gibernau, all confirmed in the past week as satellite riders.

ducati looks to be in real good shape with there line up for next year- we know Stoner's and Canepa are fast on the ducati and Hayden and Gibernau seem promissing and if there all going to be on factory spec machines they should be a strong threat out there

Last edited by kid1000; 10-24-2008 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 02:02 PM
7c Forever

3 dirt/ice trackers, the Italian hotshot and a spanish rider who deliberatly trained dirttrack for years.

I like the direction their developement is heading.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
3 dirt/ice trackers, the Italian hotshot and a spanish rider who deliberatly trained dirttrack for years.

I like the direction their developement is heading.
lol if it suits the bike i guess they are doing the right thing... all i know is i see at least 3 strong possible front runners with a good chance of the other 2 being up front as well then you got rossi,lorenzo,pedrosa,dovi, and a spec tire...sounds like the makings of an exciting season to me

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 08:08 AM
7c Forever

ya next season looks to be more exciting than this one was. Unfortunatly it comes at the expense of several years of NASCARing it up.

The only rider whom I question his ability to run towards the front is Canepa. He's definitely got the pace but he hasn't yet proven that he can run a good pace over race distance, so far he's just been a 1 lap wonder rider. I'd count on him getting a pole or 2 in his rookie year tho. Give Lorenzo's record a run maybe.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

I can see that, but who knows maybe hell get up to speed in the off season and he's a young kid with minamal exposure on the bike so who knows what he's really capable of?

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 10:57 AM
250 cc pilota.

Quote:
ya next season looks to be more exciting than this one was. Unfortunatly it comes at the expense of several years of NASCARing it up.

The only rider whom I question his ability to run towards the front is Canepa. He's definitely got the pace but he hasn't yet proven that he can run a good pace over race distance, so far he's just been a 1 lap wonder rider. I'd count on him getting a pole or 2 in his rookie year tho. Give Lorenzo's record a run maybe.
What do base that judgement on, that Canepa can´t run race pace? I think he will do well next year and his only drawback is that he hasn´t raced at all the tracks. As Euroepan Superstock Champion, tehy race during european SBK meetings, he has done the European tracks but not all the fly away races.

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 11:46 AM

If we are to give Barros interview a while back any credit, I think the biggest problem the Ducati riders will face (Other than Stoner & maybe Hayden) is their supporting cast.

Barros complained of not having a good suspension eng in his garage... that sux!
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Let's try to think in Ducati's point of view... I think they couldn't rely solely on Stoner anymore, since he isn't offering the "guarantee" they thought he has.

By the way, Sete took #59, in reference to 1959 - the year in which his grandfather Francisco Xavier 'Paco' Bulto's Bultaco company produced their first bike.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 12:11 PM
250 cc pilota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerraul View Post
If we are to give Barros interview a while back any credit, I think the biggest problem the Ducati riders will face (Other than Stoner & maybe Hayden) is their supporting cast.

Barros complained of not having a good suspension eng in his garage... that sux!
Since then Ducati have overhauled their whole programme and are giving Pramac a lot more support, GP9s instead of GP8s for example. D´Antin is gone from that team as well so I think that it will be better for Onde2000 as well, but not as good as the Corse team of course.

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 08:10 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav O View Post
What do base that judgement on, that Canepa can´t run race pace? I think he will do well next year and his only drawback is that he hasn´t raced at all the tracks. As Euroepan Superstock Champion, tehy race during european SBK meetings, he has done the European tracks but not all the fly away races.
sorry I don't think I was clear in what I was saying. I don't mean to say that I think he can't do it. I'm meaning that he hasn't proven to me that he can. I've followed the live timing for some of his tests (the one at Indy in particular I watched lap for lap) and my observation is that he was relativly quick and has a Corser-esque ability to lay down a honkin fast flyer. However testing is testing and racing is racing. We'll soon see who's got what, and I think this kid is definitely deserving of a GP ride. Moreso than a lot of other guys out there.

That said if I was the one passing out the seats in GP it'd be a vastly different roster. Spies and Canepa would be on the Tech3 bikes, and Barros and Sete would both still be around. Vermin, Toseland, Edwards, Capirex, DeAngelis, Shinya, would all be evicted. Not that I'm not a fan of those guys, I just think that they've had their chance to shine and have not shown a whole lot. Possible exception for Capirex. Definitely testing or WSBK roles for all of them tho.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 10:47 PM
Abusin' the scooter

Send a message via Skype™ to Yamahuh
Quote:
Vermin, Toseland, Edwards, Capirex, DeAngelis, Shinya, would all be evicted. Not that I'm not a fan of those guys, I just think that they've had their chance to shine
Guess you know I'm gonna disagree with the inclusion of Toseland and deAngelis in that line up eh?
Toseland more so than deAngelis for sure.
While DeA has been pretty much a non entity all season long I don't think you can lump J-T in with him.
First season in GP and never having seen some of the tracks before; I definitely don't think we've really seen what he's capable of yet. He's proven himself to be a scrappy rider and definitely up for the challenge but has had some disappointing results as well as some surprisingly good ones (6th in his first ever race at Qatar and falling off on the 1st corner at Donington spring to mind). If he's still pulling in the same results ina season or two then I'll agree with you but until then I think you're jumping the gun on him a bit.

As for the rest?
Agree 100%.
Capirex is getting a little long in the tooth and as much as I admire and respect his accomplishments and talent it's time for some young blood to fill his seat and EVERYONE knows my opinion of Edwards...

“It’s really hard to take an angry man seriously when he’s wearing a bathrobe.” - Carl Fogarty
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 10:59 PM
7c Forever

Toseland's been on the best bike all year, hasn't cracked the top 5, hasn't lead a race, hasn't gotten a pole or a fastest lap, and he's getting spanked by Colin in the championship. Definitely no secret how I feel about him, but I think that if we want a superbike rider in the series, Toseland is not the man. There's definitely some other superbike riders I'd rather see on that seat. Ones that have been able to bag race wins and championships consistently over a period of years and shown an ability to adapt to changing equipment on a continual basis. In other words, guys that don't have "off years."

if there was 30-35 bikes on the grid, then by all means, keep him around. But there's not, there's not a lot of seats and guys need to get the hell out there and grab this season by the dangly bits, not make excuses a'la Edwards while being spanked by Edwards.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Last edited by Junior; 10-25-2008 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode