Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
250 cc pilota.

Red face Kawasaki quits MotoGP, and nothing of value was lost.

According to well informed Italian site GPone Kawasaki are quitting MotoGP...

Translated version of http://www.gpone.com/news/News.asp?NNews=3247

Mod Edit January 10th 2009:
Kawasaki has confirmed their withdrawal from MotoGP on January 9th with this short statement:

"Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. announced today that it has decided to suspend its factory MotoGP racing activities from 2009 season.

"Amid quickly changing business environment, Kawasaki has been promptly taking countermeasures to cope with the situation. As the world economy is not likely to recover in a short period due to the major impact of the financial crisis, Kawasaki decided to suspend its MotoGP racing activities from 2009 season onward and reallocate management resources more efficiently.

"Kawasaki will continue racing activities using mass-produced motorcycles as well as supporting general race-oriented customers. Kawasaki would like to thank all the fans and all those who have forwarded us great help.

"Mr Yoshio Kawamura, the managing director of Kawasaki Motors Racing B.V. deeply appreciates the contribution and the dedication brought by staff members of the MotoGP team."
source

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ffwf; 01-10-2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: updated thread title and added confirmation of withdrawal in OP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
That would really sucks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Gang Green

Hope it's not true

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
250 cc pilota.

autosport.com - MotoGP News: Kawasaki poised to quit MotoGP

If this is true it is very sad and now the MotoGp class does not have the required 18 participants to be eligalble as a championship according to FIM rules...
Melandri is said to have been in contact with bith Tech3 and Gresini Honda. He and Hopkins do bring some sponsorship money so they might be able to replace riders that donīt bring any big amounts to their teams like Edwards, De Angelis and Canepa....

post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 11:58 AM
7c Forever

It'd be a shame to see Canepa edged out over some money. The real threat here is that it drops the grid below magic 17.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
250 cc pilota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
It'd be a shame to see Canepa edged out over some money. The real threat here is that it drops the grid below magic 17.
I donīt think they will drop Canepa. Melandri over Edwards at Tech 3? Not too likely as he has been there before and had a disastrous year, Iīd pick Melandri over Edwards every time though. Gresini is the most likely spot for Melandri.
what can Hopkins do with the Monster money? Get Aspar to field yet another Suzuki? Suzuki is said to want 4 million € to lease one bike and maybe the Monster money would be suffice for that?

post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 12:15 PM
7c Forever

Ya I can see DeAngelis getting the boot if Marco wants to come home.

The Monster money might suffice if John rode for free.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 12:20 PM

This isn't good. Wasn't there a rumor that Honda was considering it too? Hope this doesn't cause a Domino effect.

Really disappointed, I wanted to see what Melandri could bring to the newest GP Team.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
250 cc pilota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerraul View Post
This isn't good. Wasn't there a rumor that Honda was considering it too? Hope this doesn't cause a Domino effect.

Really disappointed, I wanted to see what Melandri could bring to the newest GP Team.
I find it hard to believe that Honda would leave. Suzuki seems more likely though.

post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 01:29 PM
`beer?

Send a message via MSN to walker Send a message via Yahoo to walker
It appears it is WSBK's time now... We'll see Rossi give it a go... I wonder if riders try to jump ship if GP turns into a Cup....?

WSBK rocks btw.
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 03:30 PM
I dont inhale

soup and roadracing world are reporting it also, this sucks!!!

post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav O View Post
I find it hard to believe that Honda would leave. Suzuki seems more likely though.
I don't know man... last I heard all the Auto Manufacturers were in need of gov bail outs... not just the US auto market. Honda is deeply rooted over here too with at least 1 plant that I know of.

Honda may have the deepest pockets, but they are not immune to the sudden halt in consumer spending...

Toyota is feeling it too.

So I wouldn't be surprised at all if they did pull out... this economy sucks ass right now.

Maybe Rossi is checking out WSBK cause he knows Yamaha is hurting when not even Toseland is buying any new pianos...
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 09:15 PM
No Crying Allowed

No big loss from the last 15 years of watching MotoGP, I'm not concerned with the 17 rule, they will find a way to comply or change the rule

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 10:37 PM
7c Forever

It's not up to Dorna to change the rule. Infact if Dorna don't have 17 bikes come beginning of the season, it's not a championship and Dorna aren't rights holders.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Rollin in my 5.0

Send a message via Yahoo to beavisr1
with rider count so low maybe i can submit my application as a rider?

post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 11:21 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
It's not up to Dorna to change the rule. Infact if Dorna don't have 17 bikes come beginning of the season, it's not a championship and Dorna aren't rights holders.
They will just ask Rossi to get the rule changed

j/k but I knew you would like that one

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 11:32 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavisr1 View Post
If you've got the bucks to build a prototype 800 that can qualify for the grid, and get it to each of the races. You're in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Lover View Post
They will just ask Rossi to get the rule changed
LOL!!

Ya, we'd see real quick whether Rossi's pull is just with Ezzy or if it extends to the FIM aswell!

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
250 cc pilota.

Quote:
If that happens I am sure that FIM will change the rules just as FIA did for F1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavisr1 View Post
I donīt think the number of riders who want to participate is the biggest problem.

Last edited by Gustav O; 12-31-2008 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 12:34 PM
7c Forever

They will if they're happy with the direction that the series is going. But this isn't the Ecclestone/Mosley show.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
250 cc pilota.

Alice has withdrawn their sponsorship so Ducati/Pramac can not afford to field Canepa. He will be move sideways to join the Onde2000 team and race together with Gibernau. That team is welll funded but with dubious money...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode