Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Send a message via Skype™ to Yamahuh
Weather Forecast - Texas - Tornado very blustery...

...soon to be followed by periods of calm.
Normal conditions expected to follow first green light of the season.

Yamahuh definiton:- Blustery Tornado weather patterns that blow hard initially, deteriorate quickly and ultimately fail to deliver expected devastation.

Edwards revels in testing superiority over Toseland
Friday, 13 February 2009

‘Texas Tornado’ reveals Sepang delight in Indianapolis event blog.

“It’s so funny how we don’t talk anymore”

Not a reference to a late 1970’s break-up song, but an admission from Tech 3 Yamaha’s Colin Edwards that relations have somewhat soured between himself and teammate James Toseland. The statement was made in the Texan’s new ‘Tornado Warning’ blog on the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix website. A switch of Crew Chiefs has driven a wedge between the two riders but, as in the song, Edwards isn’t losing any sleep over the matter.

“He’s not on the Christmas card list whatsoever. It's funny. We don't talk anymore after this little incident,” revealed Edwards on the rift between himself and his Yamaha satellite colleague. Both riders’ opinions on the changes in the garage have been well documented, but the recent Sepang test has left Edwards even more outspoken and with more than a touch of schadenfreude.

“We looked good in front of him, (Toseland) being 2 ˝ seconds off the pace. That was good times. You should hear some of the comments being made. He got the Crew Chief he wanted. That was going to make all the difference in the world, and we just sit and laugh. We have a good time,” writes the 34 year-old, who was altogether more positive about his partnership with new Crew Chief Guy Coulon.

“He's got so much experience. I think he's been doing it since early 70s. I'm really happy. I don't have to stroke ego like I did last year. Everybody's just so relaxed, just happy to be riding motorcycles.”

Edwards has always been a strong tester, and the American is excited about the package used thus far in preseason. Having admitted to losing his way with excessive tinkering in 2008, ‘back to basics’ will be the key philosophy for the veteran this year.

“We changed a couple of things (at Sepang), but you could jump back on the first bike I started with, and you could hardly be able to tell the difference. 2002, my last year in World Superbike, we had a bike like this. We pulled it out, and we went through a whole bunch of stuff the first test. But then we pretty much kept it the whole year. I don't think we really changed much. A click here, a click there… and I won the title.”

Yadda, yadda, yadda, I hope JT kicks his ass in the first race, when will this guy EVER learn to keep his mouth shut and let his results speak for themselves? Every year the same old shit ... I see no reason why Rossi and I can't be 1, 2 ... we're back to basics, we've got the bike working well and we have a good chance to finish second in the championshipblah ... “I can win a race before the end of the season” ... , blah, blah

What the hell happened between him and J-T?
I thought they were like long lost brothers last year?

“It’s really hard to take an angry man seriously when he’s wearing a bathrobe.” - Carl Fogarty

Last edited by Yamahuh; 02-13-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 03:06 AM
Advanced Member

supposably edwards got mad because jt wanted his crew chief and i guess some things were said after that....i can tell you this though, i bet if he dont set the world on fire this season and spies does in wsbk edwards will not be in that seat come 2010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Yep, just checked and you're right -

Do you have a new crew chief this year?
Yeah, I traded with James (Toseland).

How is that working out?
I thought I was pretty happy last year with my crew chief (Gary Reynders). They co-conspired to kind of stick it in my (rear), if you want to say that. They decided for my crew chief to go to James, and James decided that my crew chief was better than his. His crew chief last year, I'm with now, and he's frickin' awesome. His name is Guy, Guy Coulon, and he's awesome. He's got so much experience. I think he's been doing it since early 70s. I'm really happy. I'm a lot happier with my crew chief. It's just so relaxed. I don't have to stroke (my crew chief's) ego like I did last year. Everybody's just so relaxed, just happy to be riding motorcycles.

It sounds like what could have been a bad deal has turned into a good deal. Correct? Yeah, as they say, the light in the dark is the silver lining or whatever it might be. It seems to have worked out really well for our side of the team, with my crew chief and with me. I think everybody is happier than we were last year.

But JT (Toseland) is no longer on the Christmas card list?
No, no. He's not on the Christmas card list whatsoever. It's funny. We don't talk anymore after this little incident. We looked good in front of him, (Toseland) being 2 ˝ seconds off the pace (at Sepang). That was good times. You should hear some of the comments being made. He got the crew chief he wanted. That was going to make all the difference in the world, and we just sit and laugh. We have a good time.

Anything surprise you at the test among other riders' performances?
You'd have to say (Loris) Capirossi had a good test. He did. He usually goes good there in Sepang; Suzuki usually goes good there in Sepang, so it wasn't a surprise. He's definitely riding good, no question.

You had the two oldest guys on the grid (Edwards, Capirossi) kicking some serious butt at this test.
Yeah, exactly. I'll be 35 at the end of the month.

Is there any extra motivation this season because you're 35, not 25? You're toward the end of your career and you have a great bike.
It's kind of like last year. I'm just happy to ride. I'm not really worried about what the future will hold. I'm just happy to be on a motorcycle and riding, and being competitive. That's the main thing. As long as you keep that attitude and keep the fire, it's all good. But if you lose that fire or you're just going around doing nothing, it's time to go home.

Saddle up hoss

“It’s really hard to take an angry man seriously when he’s wearing a bathrobe.” - Carl Fogarty

Last edited by Yamahuh; 02-15-2009 at 03:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 10:36 AM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
JT seems to be ruining a good thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

I hate drama, even when it's motogp drama
bummer there has to be a falling out between the guys

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:09 AM

No body likes change against their will... guess he had to make it public just to stick it to them...

He did perform much better than JT this outing... we'll see if it translates to the season.

However, IMO... JT isn't all that and I don't expect him to be anywhere near the top riders again this season...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

With the depth of talent in GP I'd be amazed if he could crack top 5 but top 8 is realistic. From the sounds of things Herve Poncharal gave everyone the opportunity to be 'in' on the decision and it wasn't like J-T poached Colin's crew chief without anyone knowing. Actually it sounds more like sour grapes from Colin than anything else when you read this:-

Tech 3 Yamaha boss Herve Poncharal has admitted his riders Colin Edwards and James Toseland are not best friends at present, due to their crew chief swap at the end of 2008, but the Frenchman says the rift will motivate his riders.

Following the arrival of James Toseland on the MotoGP scene last year he immediately hit it off with his new team-mate Colin Edwards as the two riders joined the Tech 3 Yamaha team and began work with their new crew chiefs.

Edwards, working with his crew chief Garry Reinders, was more than happy to provide the rookie Toseland, who was working with Guy Coulon, with a helping hand along the way as the Englishman learned the ropes in MotoGP.

However, at the end of the season, with Edwards finishing seventh in the standings and Toseland’s form dipping in the second half of the year as he eventually finished eleventh, Tech 3 Yamaha manager Herve Poncharal received a request from Toseland to work with Reinders in his sophomore campaign.

Poncharal considered all options and spoke to all parties concerned before agreeing to the switch, which angered Edwards, prompting a number of outspoken comments from the American rider in recent weeks.

Having outperformed Toseland at the first test of the year in Sepang Edwards admitted that he was not talking to his team-mate and pointed out the significant difference in their lap times, with Toseland apparently slowed down by a first day crash.

As Poncharal explains, “Colin was not so happy because he thought he could have been more involved in the decision making process, but he accepted it. Since then Colin has had a dream start, as he had a great time in testing both in Jerez in November and then in Sepang with the new bike. He is very, very happy now.”

Explaining the logic behind the switch in the first instance Poncharal added, “I understood James’ point of view because Garry lives in England close to James, and he speaks better English than Guy. James and Garry spent a lot of time together last year traveling to and from England and James likes to talk to his crew chief in between races.”

Noting Edwards recent statements and what it means for the team Poncharal maintained a typically positive take on things, stating, “I can’t say too much about what Colin has said because those are his own views, but you always know that the first person a rider wants to beat is his own team-mate. James improved a lot last year, we think he has shown last year that he could be a podium contender in his second year with Tech 3, so they will try to beat each other and this is fun.”

Poncharal concluded, “If it gives extra motivation to James’ department and to Colin’s department I am absolutely happy. We will never see two riders going on holiday together because this is an individual sport. They respect each other still, ok they don’t talk anymore, but who cares? I wanted to give both of them the best support I could and that is what I have done.”

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 12:45 AM
250 cc pilota.

I actually think Colin is the one who got the best deal when he got Guy Coulon as that guy has massive experience and is a really good crew chief so I am a bit confused by his sour comments about the whole thing, and he never seems to learn that he has to live up to his own hype. So far he hasn´t really excelled in that department.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 08:18 PM

Whatever...

All I know is that he's always said that if his front isn't there, he loses confidence. And so far, he seems to be liking the Bridgestone's front and has not mentioned chatter problems yet... perhaps Vale has nipped that in the butt and the new bike has not issues with that. Which hopefully Colin will like and perhaps put in a consistent season.

As for the other topic... I think it obvious he didn't like the change, no rider really wants to be told you are starting fresh the next year with a new crew. from his comments it's obvious that he didn't want to risk working with the other guy. That it turned out to be a good move he's happy with, he's saying that now.

Colin has admitted plenty of times that he hasn't performed to his full potential. Sure some of his predictions have backfired on him, but it certainly is good that he still has his confience.

The minute he makes any of you happy by saying he doesn't cut it in any league, I'll stop being a fan. that is not the sort of shit you say in public...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 05:56 AM
250 cc pilota.

I like Colin in many ways but it gets a bit old with all his hype about himself as he very rarely lives up to it. But he is fun to listen to in interviews and is outspoken wich is fun as you get to know stuff from him.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode