Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
250 cc pilota.

First "race" of 2009..

So after finally getting my bike back together again, see rebuild thread here Sport Bike Forum , I headed to Sviestad for my first ride of the bike this season. Some upgrades had been done like a Kit-crank, new pistons, new airboxes and tuned suspension. As usual I was late and started the bike the same morning as I was leaving. It started just fine and ran well, some adjustments to the throttles to have the slides open at the same time had to be done but nothing major. She ran just fine and sounded crisp an nice.

Loaded the bike in the van and off we went. My philosphy is that training is for cowards so I decided that the first shake down of both bike and rider should be a club race. One QP and then a race. As I am known for being fast out of the box it should suit me just fine..

Rolled up at 15:00, Qp started at 16:20. Got tire warmers on the bike and waited for QP to start. I was racing in the 125-400 cc class were they allow single cylinder bikes up to 650 cc as well so it was a very mixed grid. 2 x 250 GP bikes, 2 x 125GP bikes, 2 x Aprilia RS250s, 1 x TZR250 street bike, 4 x KTM/Husaberg motoards, 2 x 650 cc Supermonos.
Only members of the club I race for are eligable to start so riders vary from elite to newcomers.

I rolled out for QP just to find out that my left handlebar moved. Went back to the van and tried to adjust it but we realised that it was the outer front tubes that was rotating in the triple clamps - glad I found out before I got to the first heavy braking...

I was delayed and got only seven laps in and had a "best" time of 1.09, PB is 1.05, and you can tell by the picture I took it easy - but it felt really nice and not as awkward as it usually does.

I stripepd the heads and had a look at both cylinders and heads and it all looked fine. The engine ran just fine and I was happy to see I wasnīt way out on jetting or anything else.

After all classeshad Qīd it started to rain. I got my "new" rain tyres on, manufactured in 2002 and 2003, and waited for the race. I seem to do pretty well in the rain compared to the dry so I was looking forward to racing. I slipped in to my kinky latex suit and rolled out for the two sighting laps, due to changed conditions.

Race and street version of the "same" engine.

It felt great during the sighting laps but the engine was running a bit too cold so I went in to the pits to get that sorted but the tape didnīīt want to stick to the wet radiator. Got some on and had to go out if I didnīt want to start the race from the pit.

I usually do crap starts but this time it was OK. I started in tenth but was sixth out of the first two corners and chasing one of the 125GP bikes. I felt really comfortable and felt like I could catch some of the guys in front and have a decent race. When hitting the straight the engine suddenly went *POP*. Sounded like a big baloon exploding. I had never experienced an engine sound like that so I was puzzled but had to roll in to the pits.
As it was dripping fuel from the fairings I thought it was a broke fuel hose or similar but when we got the fairing off I found this.

The previous owner had put helicoil, or more probably helicoil rip offs, in the cylinders and all the thread just came off on one-two of the bolts so the head blew off. In the picture you can see the top bolts is loose and we didnīt touch it before we took the picture. Never had this problem happen before.
Luckily I have more cylinders and nothing else was dmaged so it will be a fairly quick fix.

Hopefully I will be back in mid june for another race, with a working engine! The engine felt just great before it went pop and I am glad it wasnīt really down to me this time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 04:39 AM

Is it me or your luck at the track really rotten?
IDK It seems that the reports I've read all had mech probs...

Way to keep on keeping on... I would have taken that as a sign to quit a long time ago.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 05:27 AM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
The problem is Gustav, you just never know what you have like your incident. If someone has prepped and inserted helicoils correctly. they should last for years; but if someone duffs the threaded hole prep before the helicoil is inserted, then eventually it will turn around and bite you on the ass. I've used kits similar to Unicoil with great success read: no failures (eg: my race engine main barrel studs, running 20lb of boost)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
250 cc pilota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerraul View Post
Is it me or your luck at the track really rotten?
IDK It seems that the reports I've read all had mech probs...

Way to keep on keeping on... I would have taken that as a sign to quit a long time ago.
My track record is pretty terrible to say the least. Out of the last seven races I have finished one, had six DNFs due to mechanicals and one due to rider error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Racer View Post
The problem is Gustav, you just never know what you have like your incident. If someone has prepped and inserted helicoils correctly. they should last for years; but if someone duffs the threaded hole prep before the helicoil is inserted, then eventually it will turn around and bite you on the ass. I've used kits similar to Unicoil with great success read: no failures (eg: my race engine main barrel studs, running 20lb of boost)
Actually a lot of the problems I have had with this bike has been down to stuff the previous owner did or didnīt do.

Last edited by Gustav O; 05-29-2009 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav O View Post
My track record is pretty terrible to say the least. Out of the last seven races I have finished one, had six DNFs due to mechanicals and one due to rider error.

Actually a lot of the problems I have had with this bike has been down to stuff the previous owner did or didnīt do.
Yeah definitely, unfortunately most cases it takes a failure to find someone elses questionable mechanical skills.

This is the gear that we use on some of the helicopters I've worked on. Its eye candy and expensive, but good gear.

ROSAN Fastener Products mainly I've dealt with the slimserts and the best thing is that they are easily fitted & removed by using an allen wrench. You should be able to see what I'm talking about in the photo below

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
250 cc pilota.

Thanks for the link. Seems like some really neat stuff.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 09:14 AM

They really are an exceptional product. The allen key does not interfere with the internal threaded portion of the insert. Very neat design. The ones we used are silver plated to stop dissimilar corrosion with titanium. Titanium is not a fan of cadmium plating touching it.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Rollin in my 5.0

Send a message via Yahoo to beavisr1
i race a cbr600rr and so far my only issues is track to plastic issues. and a bit of rear set to ground issue.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
250 cc pilota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavisr1 View Post
i race a cbr600rr and so far my only issues is track to plastic issues. and a bit of rear set to ground issue.
I have no interest in going down the street bike route. The bike in itself is more than half the reason I do it.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 06:52 AM

Gustav,
I'll be 50 next year, will I be too old to be a newby 2 stroke junky?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
250 cc pilota.

No. Why would you be too old? Buy one!

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 06:16 PM
I dont inhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Racer View Post
Gustav,
I'll be 50 next year, will I be too old to be a newby 2 stroke junky?

hell no do it!!! and if you stay away from kit cylinders, pistons, and the thin kit rings they arent as bad maintanence wise as i thought they would be

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 06:28 AM

The asking if I was too old was just a joke at mysel guys. I would actually like to build and run one in Thailand. I'm thinking a 250 at least, mind you I weigh nearly 200 lbs. The poor thing will probably shit itself, eat clutchs etc et al. I'm thinking Aprilia but cost maybe an issue...hmmm must talk to my business partner. Mrs. Warp
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 12:21 PM
7c Forever

what race classes do they have down there? is there an open class?

I could send you some blueprints....

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 12:40 PM

Not too sure Junior. I have a brit mate who has run his Ducati at a track day. The track was called Bira but I don't know a lot about it or for that matter the racing scene in Thailand. They do have events though. Must do some research. I had planned on spending around USD$41,000 on a second hand Tri-Colore in Thailand, but think I would have just as much fun with a little track demon and probably cheaper.
Thoughts guys
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 01:55 PM
7c Forever

way less money, way more fun for a track demon.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode