Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

Melandri back to Gresini Honda - Confirmed

It has been officially announced that Marco Melandri will return to the Gresini Honda team for the 2010 MotoGP World Championship.

The 27-year-old will thus rejoin the team with which he finished second in the 2005 MotoGP championship and took all five of his MotoGP race wins, plus twelve other podiums.

Melandri will ride alongside reigning 250cc world champion Marco Simoncelli, who has already been announced at the team.

After finishing second, fourth and fifth in the world championship during his three seasons at Gresini Honda, Melandri made an ill-fated move to the factory Ducati Marlboro team for 2008.

Melandri has since rebuilt his reputation will impressive performances on the unofficial Hayate Kawasaki this season, including a second place at Le Mans and briefly leading his home grand prix at Mugello.

The Italian is currently seventh in the world championship standings after ten of 17 rounds and, with Kawasaki not continuing to support Hayate next season, his move back to Gresini had been highly rumoured.

Gresini Honda hasn't taken a podium finish since Melandri's second place at the 2007 Malaysian Grand Prix.

“It gives us great pride and satisfaction to have Marco Melandri back with us,” said team manager Fausto Gresini. “I have always had great belief in his potential and to get our sporting and technical project with him back on track following his experiences with other teams creates fresh and important motivation.

“Melandri is a huge part of the Honda Gresini story - we have had great results together that over time consolidated a relationship founded on mutual respect and friendship. Now I am confident we can recreate the past successes that gave us so much joy and excitement.

“With Simoncelli and Melandri together in the premier class and San Carlo as main sponsor we have a true Italian flavour to the team. Circumstances have conspired to allow us to create an “Azzurro Dream Team”, which provides us all with extra motivation.”

The announcement means that both of Gresini's current riders, Toni Elias and Alex de Angelis, will leave the team at the end of the season. de Angelis is currently eleventh in the world championship with Elias, who has a factory-spec RCV, just 14th.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

good to see him get a good ride, im just waiting to hear if Bauti has signed with suzuki seeing as how all the seats are getting taken up

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

its official bauti to suzuki for 2 years:Alvaro Bautista Confirms Two Year Suzuki Deal | MotoGPMatters.com | Kropotkin Thinks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 08:29 AM
7c Forever

le sigh.

Allwell, better than riding a CBR600 in a fucking prototype class I guess.

not that I'm bitter or anything.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
le sigh.

Allwell, better than riding a CBR600 in a fucking prototype class I guess.

not that I'm bitter or anything.
lol well lets just give it a chance, i havent seen the brno race yet but loris was up front in the practice, so maybe all suzuki needs is a hungrier rider with something to prove, i mean this years bike is a big step up from last years and spies was doing better then both regular factory riders at laguna and indy, so maybe the rider can be that lil bit extra that they need... i also think that team could use a serious restructering, bc what theyve been doing has obviously not been working

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 08:51 AM
7c Forever

the Suzuki hasn't been a halfway decent bike since about 1989. Twice since then they've gotten lucky by having extremely competent riders at a time that the rest of the field was extremely weak. But seriously, they've sure never accrued a 300+ point season.

Restructure? shit, pass around the pinkslips, throw the bike in the scrap bin and hire Yosh to come out and start from carte blanche. It's the only f*cking hope.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

lol well i was tryn to be a lil sensible, but truthfully i couldnt agree more

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 09:49 AM
7c Forever

I don't get where the hangup is. The team there running have made a complete hash of it since they took over. Yosh exude racing heritage and hard sense, whereas the guys in charge are gizmo obsessed and easily excited with "technology."

Rob Muzzy or Pops Yosh would look down horribly at the guys running the current Suzuki program, and would look very favourably on Jerry Burgess, there's a damned good reason for that.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

yea it seeming that the whole race program needs a revamping, from ama to motogp... the yosh team will be in trouble next year without mat if they dont get that bike figured out, and the wsbk team needs to get some real good consistent talent in that team and for gods sake some more bikes on the field, and to be completely honest id be all for suzuki dropping out of ama since there losing mladin at the end of the season and just send the whole team to motogp to tryn pave anew gargage for there new star rider rather then ruin his career as they have with all the other half decent riders thayve gotten in the past

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 10:10 AM
7c Forever

ya I'm with ya. As a Yosh fan and as a Bauti fan, I think they are each others best shot at coming out of this in 1 piece. Bauti is sure not short on talent, I've been screaming for him to make it to 800gp since '06. However I couldn't ever recommend a Suzuki to him. Denning just seems to make such a mess of it, and it's always someone elses fault.

Shit what was it, 2 years ago? they're Akiyoshi is testing a new fairing at Motegi and it's like 11kph faster in a straight line than the one they have and it's all "we'll have that for next year." like wtf, it's a fucking fairing, and the pattern is already made. How much can it possibly cost? put it on all the bikes NOW.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

wow i never heard about that... how does suzuki let him get away with making decisions like that/ they need to do something because moto racing seems to be the companys livelyhood, bc they certainly arent selling alot of cars.... and with the gsxr not have won in wsbk since 05 and now it looking no where near as dominant this year as it was last year and it hasnt won a shootout since 07 and them not having won a gp in almost a decade they gotta do something

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 01:21 PM
7c Forever

they won a race in WSBK last year, Mad Max in Germany iirc.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

i think so but still 1 race? spies has won what 7 in his rookie season on a brand new bike/tires/track/team.... suzuki was running 3 bikes with i believe 2 return wsbk riders in neito and kag.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 06:11 PM
7c Forever

Nieto is out now isn't he?

And ya, I hear ya on Spies, but he's clearly a statistical anomaly.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 11:29 PM
250 cc pilota.

With Max going out of the season Suzukis season went pear shaped as they had no other quality riders. Kagayama - excuse me?

Spies has won eleven races....

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Nieto is out now isn't he?
no i think hes riding a sat. 1198 unless they cut him already?

And ya, I hear ya on Spies, but he's clearly a statistical anomaly.
he most certainly is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav O View Post
With Max going out of the season Suzukis season went pear shaped as they had no other quality riders. Kagayama - excuse me?
yea hes just taking up space... good rider but not consistent and with riders like spies, haga you need a consistent front runner
Spies has won eleven races....
holly crap is it 11 now???? hes on fire

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

I'm happy for Melandri. He will most likely be in the top 3 or 5 on a Gresini Honda. But I think he is a rider worthy of a Factory ride IMHO.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rider View Post
I'm happy for Melandri. He will most likely be in the top 3 or 5 on a Gresini Honda. But I think he is a rider worthy of a Factory ride IMHO.
idk well have to see because that honda seems to only work for some people... i mean was he doing good on the sat bike in 07? i dont remember... but then again i dont think any honda rider was other than dani

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Abusin' the scooter

Send a message via Skype™ to Yamahuh
He was 2nd in the world on a Gresini Honda a few years back and rode to 4th overall with them in '06, he was a major challenger for the title, along with Capirex, Nicky and Dani and we all know who won that year don't we? Melandri finished 1 point out of 3rd spot behind Capirossi.

In 2007, he and Pedrosa were the only Honda riders with multiple podiums.

I've always enjoyed watching Marco ride and really felt badly for him when he was having such terrible luck with the Duc. He definitely has talent and would be great to see him mixing it with the TEch 3 boys or spirtting in Ducati's eyes next year.

“It’s really hard to take an angry man seriously when he’s wearing a bathrobe.” - Carl Fogarty

Last edited by Yamahuh; 08-17-2009 at 06:41 PM.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 08:03 PM
7c Forever

I think he has clearly rendered CV out of a job this year. I'm surprised Capirex managed to keep his job, or either of the Pramac boys. Given how well Marco has done on that equipment.

I'm very interested to see if Kawasaki will come back. Normally I'm of the firm mindset that "Japanese don't eat crow." but with Kawi it's really hard to predict, corporate culture wise they don't behave in a terribly japanese fashion.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode