Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

Ducati offers Lorenzo 7 Million for 2010 ride

link

Quote:
According to Italian website Motosprint, Ducati, in collaboration with sponsor Marlboro, have offered Jorge Lorenzo €7 million to ride the D16 next season. This value is twice as much as what Yamaha is offering Jorge, and allegedly €2 million more than what Lorenzo was asking from Honda.
Ducati seems to think that with Honda tying up Pedrosa and Dovizioso, they can buy Lorenzo away from Yamaha, and ensure a top-talent on the team for 2010, in case Stoner’s absence becomes longer than 3 races.

According to paddock gossip, Ducati has made signing Lorenzo its top priority. We haven’t heard how receptive Lorenzo is to the deal, but if money is truly the Spaniard’s hang-up with Yamaha, then Ducati seems to be the right fit. You have to imagine how much Lorenzo would like to not only beat Rossi for the Championship, but do it also on an “inferior” machine.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 01:14 AM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
Whether this would a good move for him, I dunno. But either way, the guy needs to get paid accordingly. I'm a fan of Lorenzo and going to Ducati will good for me, yes me, as I want to see him show up Nicky. Hey bitch this is how you ride a Ducati. May even get better with practice . Junior doesn't like Val and I think the same of Nicky. I'm out to lunch on my thoughts on Casey at this point in time.
post #3 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Racer View Post
Whether this would a good move for him, I dunno. But either way, the guy needs to get paid accordingly. I'm a fan of Lorenzo and going to Ducati will good for me, yes me, as I want to see him show up Nicky. Hey bitch this is how you ride a Ducati. May even get better with practice . Junior doesn't like Val and I think the same of Nicky. I'm out to lunch on my thoughts on Casey at this point in time.
If he did I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up Nicky...

But let's be realistic here... there is a good chance than he shows up Nicky and still be 1 to 1.5 sec SLOWER than he is on the Yamaha.

In which case you'd be happy but then the rest of the world would think him and idiot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerraul View Post
If he did I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up Nicky...

But let's be realistic here... there is a good chance than he shows up Nicky and still be 1 to 1.5 sec SLOWER than he is on the Yamaha.

In which case you'd be happy but then the rest of the world would think him and idiot.
True,
But I also want Ducati to be able to cater a bike for their riders. I can surmise to see in the future another rule change where they will try and nobble the front runners (my thoughts are a weight penality and this has been mentioned before in years past where it would cause problems for the handling of the bike. But the rule will not give a monkeys about how the weight is distributed on the bike, as long as it weighs in at the ruled minimum after the race). Ducati had the edge but they've dropped the ball a bit. Don't get me wrong I don't hate Nicky, I just don't get enthusiastic about his riding, not that my riding is a bench mark to go by. To be honest I think he is boring.

Cheers

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #5 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

you no what is so messed up about this... casey is supposably only getting paid 3.5 from ducati....im sure hell be very pissed to hear this news seeing as how he's given them there best results so far.... but casey and jorge on the same team would be nice to see

post #6 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid1000 View Post
you no what is so messed up about this... casey is supposably only getting paid 3.5 from ducati....im sure hell be very pissed to hear this news seeing as how he's given them there best results so far.... but casey and jorge on the same team would be nice to see
I've always enjoyed a bit of rivalry and tension between team mates and they settle any problems on the race track

post #7 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Racer View Post
I've always enjoyed a bit of rivalry and tension between team mates and they settle any problems on the race track
yea i agree as long as they leave it on the track and can be professional and respectful to eachopther else where... but i think that amount is a big slap in the face to casey after all hes proven on that bike

post #8 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid1000 View Post
yea i agree as long as they leave it on the track and can be professional and respectful to eachopther else where... but i think that amount is a big slap in the face to casey after all hes proven on that bike
That is food for thought, I hope Ducati aren't getting the same attitude about their riders as Honda Corp do...

post #9 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 09:54 AM

IMO... I think Ducati is doing this for 1 or 2 reasons...

Either Casey isn't coming back or they have no desire to bring Nicky back.

Still I don't think J-Lo is interested at ALL to ride the Ducati.
post #10 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:13 AM
250 cc pilota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerraul View Post
IMO... I think Ducati is doing this for 1 or 2 reasons...

Either Casey isn't coming back or they have no desire to bring Nicky back.

Still I don't think J-Lo is interested at ALL to ride the Ducati.
They are looking for another guy who can ride the bike instead of changing the bike to be more user friendly. Lorenzo is the only really interesting name around for Ducati.

Last edited by Gustav O; 08-18-2009 at 10:15 AM.
post #11 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

that makes sense because they are probably figuring that stoner and mika can ride it, plus it seems they havent really strayed to much from the orginal design from 07 just tweaks here and there... they probably dont wanna just throw away all that r&d and risk there top rider 'stoner' not being able to perform on a redsigned bike

post #12 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav O View Post
They are looking for another guy who can ride the bike instead of changing the bike to be more user friendly. Lorenzo is the only really interesting name around for Ducati.
That may be so... but not for a minute do I believe Lorenzo is going to ride the Ducati to the same level he's doing with the Yamaha...

I don't think anyone will argue that at the moment the Yamaha is the best bike out there, and it sure seems to fit more riding styles than the Ducati so long as your last name isn't Toseland.
post #13 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Serbian Jew Double Bluff

Send a message via MSN to Matt
I don't like Jorge at all. Something about him. His facial expressions annoy me and he just seems like a little baby. I think that he is jealous as hell of Rossi and he holds back excuses for why he isn't winning to save his reputation. I think deep down he is like Biaggi just smarter about not letting his mouth go.

Although I do think that in time........he will be as good as Rossi. But right now he can't handle the pressure that Rossi puts on him. Look at the last race for example. lol

So I guess what I'm saying is that I would love to see him go to Ducati. Because I agree with Racerraul.......he won't beable to ride the Ducati as well as he rides the Yamaha. Then I can see him get more and more upset.
post #14 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

it seems things are just about finalized and he's do to make his anouncement at indy, but i think we'll know for sure before then because supposably yamaha has told him he has til the end of the week to give them an answer heres the article :Its Done: Lorenzo Signs For Ducati - Probably | MotoGPMatters.com | Kropotkin Thinks

post #15 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 09:43 PM
I dont inhale

i think its a mistake, like being said odds are he wont be faster on the ducati.

I think this is as much about the pr as it is the riding. apparently stoner hates to do photo shoots or promoting products where jorge is smart enough to know keep sponsers happy and you keep your ride.

also of course jorge is not up to rossi's level yet, shit rossi has had how many years to develop his skills. I think if jorge can keep his head together he will be the next great rider, but wee shall see.

post #16 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

WOW, I'm honestly shocked at this news....

I'm with you though vcyclenut, I think its a mistake.

Quote:
The past few days have been a veritable whirlwind of news, or more accurately, rumor and speculation, about the future of Jorge Lorenzo. The Spaniard has been holding up the MotoGP transfer market since early July, when he held off on signing a new contract with Yamaha over the conditions of the deal, and explored the options on offer to him from the other manufacturers. He had, as he took pleasure in pointing out, received offers from all the other manufacturers, and was using those offers as leverage with Yamaha, to try and extract promises of equal treatment from the team. The kind of promises that Lorenzo believed he had from the factory when he signed with them the first time around, for the 2008 and 2009 seasons.

At Brno, the market started to show some signs of movement, with Marco Melandri going to Gresini Honda, Alvaro Bautista moving up to the Rizla Suzuki ride, strong indications that Hector Barbera would take the Aspar Ducati, and a statement by the head of HRC that they had reached basic agreements with Dani Pedrosa and Andrea Dovizioso. At the same time, HRC boss Tetsuo Suzuki also indicated that they would not be signing Jorge Lorenzo. Two different stories are in circulation about the reasons for this: One says that the deal failed because Honda was unwilling to meet Lorenzo's salary demands; the other reports that Suzuki-san's statement was a face saving operation, after Lorenzo had already turned Honda down.

It looked like Lorenzo's role was played out. But Casey Stoner's absence due to illness, the presence of Philip Morris head of marketing Francesco Calvo at Brno despite Stoner's absence, and a series of late night meetings in the Ducati hospitality unit soon gave rise to speculation that Ducati were closing in on signing a deal with Jorge Lorenzo, to take over development of the troublesome Desmosedici, and become the new face of the team. The sums involved were reported to be astronomical, somewhere between 4 and 8 million euros a year, for a two-year deal.

The saga, which reported on on Saturday, Tuesday and Wednesday night, seems to be coming to a head. For Spanish website Motocuatro is reporting that Lorenzo has reached an agreement in principle with Ducati, and will be riding with the Bologna-based factory for the next two seasons. Concrete salary numbers were not reported, but according to Motocuatro, the deal would make Lorenzo the second highest paid motorcycle racer in the world, behind only - you guessed it - his team mate Valentino Rossi. That would put the deal in the upper end of the 4 to 8 million euro range being bandied about.

More than money, though, Jorge Lorenzo is certain to have asked for and received undisputed number one status at Ducati. Lorenzo's signing, it is reported, is at the express request of the most senior figures inside Philip Morris, the tobacco company that bankrolls most of Ducati's MotoGP effort, Ferrari's Formula One program, and pays the salaries of Ducati's riders. The way in which Stoner handled his illness - allegedly, a week before Brno, the Australian simply informed the team that he would not be riding at the next three races without consulting them about the matter first - is said to have been the final straw for Marlboro. Stoner has frequently refused to help out with marketing and promotional activities, believing that his job is that of a motorcycle racer, and as such, his main priority should be to focus 100% on winning races, and not get distracted by the fripperies of marketing. Marlboro disagrees, as they might considering they pay tens of millions of euros to pay for the program which allows Stoner to race.
Lorenzo, who is both aware of the necessity of marketing and promotional activities, and understands the business principles underlying the decision to sponsor motorcycle racing, has shown himself to be a sponsor's dream, turning up and going through the motions at the many activities put on by the Fiat Yamaha team. Added to that is his ability to both deal with a difficult bike and then develop it in the right direction, abilities he showed in the 125cc and 250cc classes, and his undeniable talent, pushing Valentino Rossi to the limit to hold his young upstart team mate off. All these things add up for both Marlboro and Ducati, and signing Lorenzo is an obvious choice.

At first glance, the reports in Motocuatro seem fairly definitive, but read a little further and there is still some reason for caution. The story states that Jorge Lorenzo will be riding with Ducati for the next two seasons, but couches it in the phrase "with almost certain probability." In other words, they believe that the deal is done, but cannot be 100% certain. Given the accuracy of the publication's news stories over the past few days, they would appear to have excellent sources inside the Lorenzo camp. However, they also claimed that Lorenzo had met with Ducati's MotoGP boss Livio Suppo, who according to the Italian site GPOne.com is currently vacationing with his family in the US. On the other hand, the Catalonian paper El Periodico claimed that Suppo passed through Barcelona on his way to his vacation address in the US. A cynic might offer the alternative hypothesis that the Lorenzo camp is using a series of judiciously placed leaks to gain yet more leverage over Yamaha in the negotiations, and finally get some cast-iron guarantees of equality with Rossi, but that must remain nothing but speculation.

One way or another, we will learn the truth of the matter in just a few days time. Jorge Lorenzo is due to announce his plans for the future at Indianapolis. It will be one of the most eagerly awaited press conferences of the year.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #17 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 04:51 AM

Interesting...
post #18 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 05:34 AM
Gang Green

So if Lorenzo goes to Ducati, is Nicky going to FIAT Yamaha? Anyone available to goto Yami thats a better choice?
Vermin and Elias are the only other big names, but I think Nicky is a better choice then them. So Nicky to Fiat for one year, then Spies comes to Fiat for 2010, replacing Nicky or Rossi if Rossi retires after 2010.
Thats assuming Spies comes to Tech3 for 2010.
I believe Stoner still has a contract for 2010, Nicky has one but either side can opt out after the first year. Stoner would throw a fit to be #2 though.

post #19 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

It kind of leaves Yamaha out in the dry really.... I'mnot sure spies wants to come to GP yet..... and if he does it would be tech 3.... so we may see colin back to Fiat.. lol or james maybe since colin has had his shot already.

It will be interesting for sure if this all happens this way with Lorenzo.

|
|
|
|
post #20 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 07:22 AM
Gang Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Lover View Post
It kind of leaves Yamaha out in the dry really.... I'mnot sure spies wants to come to GP yet..... and if he does it would be tech 3.... so we may see colin back to Fiat.. lol or james maybe since colin has had his shot already.

It will be interesting for sure if this all happens this way with Lorenzo.
There is noway James would be picked up by a factory team. He's been outraced by his elderly team mate very consistantly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode