Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Send a message via Skype™ to Yamahuh
Question for Junior

What's getting mangled??

OOPs!!

Unrelated to above but an awesome last lap scrap from BSB @ Croft

watch here...

Its really hard to take an angry man seriously when hes wearing a bathrobe. - Carl Fogarty

Last edited by Yamahuh; 09-15-2009 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 01:00 PM
7c Forever

gonna have to say it's chewing a valve. Definitely looks to be titanium and that's the only thing I can think it'd be in the top end.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 01:56 PM
jimmy crack corn

if the belt slipped a tooth could it do that ?

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 02:08 PM
7c Forever

definitely it could.

it might also just be the motor is overly hot, Titanium grows a fair bit with thermal expansion. Brass doesn't, and iirc Ducati are using titanium valves in brass keepers, a brass-zinc alloy I think. Brass is very stable thermally, zinc even moreso. It's very possibly that that exhaust valve got hot enough to start grinding down the keeper. Or they are trying a new alloy and someone didn't do their homework.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 02:11 PM
jimmy crack corn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
definitely it could.

it might also just be the motor is overly hot, Titanium grows a fair bit with thermal expansion. Brass doesn't, and iirc Ducati are using titanium valves in brass keepers, a brass-zinc alloy I think. Brass is very stable thermally, zinc even moreso. It's very possibly that that exhaust valve got hot enough to start grinding down the keeper. Or they are trying a new alloy and someone didn't do their homework.
that makes sense .

David
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 02:45 PM
7c Forever

ya there's a lot of possibly explanations tho. That's just the first one that jumped into my head 'cause the shit flying out definitely looks like it's titanium based to me.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
Junior I know they run pretty lean (one guy does mention exhaust packing being torched) and I don't see any smoke. I'm wondering if its as you suggested or a valve seat/s.

Either that or the flux capacitor has gone tits up.

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 12:59 AM
7c Forever

if it's thermal expansion there won't be much for smoke, it should continue to seal until it starts to really gall which will be about 10 cycles before it falls in.

It could be the seat too tho, there's so much dissimilar metal going on in that motor that it's ridiculous.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 02:56 AM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
if it's thermal expansion there won't be much for smoke, it should continue to seal until it starts to really gall which will be about 10 cycles before it falls in.

It could be the seat too tho, there's so much dissimilar metal going on in that motor that it's ridiculous.
Yes exactly, I perhaps worded it wrong, but that style of lean condition there should be no smoke (or at least nothing visible to the naked eye). Much as I would like to say the simple approach; the exhuast packing has caught fire and is consuming itself, this definitely seems more like an engine torching itself.

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 01:53 PM
7c Forever

ya that could be it. Do they even pack those ones tho? I generally pull the packing on my race engines, if I can get away with it under the dB req's.

But ya at the end of the day that debris looks a lot more like mag-ti than it does like oil soaked fiberglass.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode