Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
250 cc pilota.

Spies confirmed at Tech 3 for 2010.

Good move and the smart choice at his stage in his career.

Yamaha Motor Company., Ltd herewith confirms that Ben Spies, currently 2nd in the World Superbike Championship, will be moving to the MotoGP Championship in 2010 to join the Tech 3 Yamaha Team. The Texan recently signed a two-year deal with Yamaha, which originally planned for him to remain in World Superbike for one more year before moving to MotoGP in 2011, but Spies and Yamaha together have decided to advance the move by one year. The 25-year-old is currently just three points behind and has just two more World Superbike rounds to contest in his efforts to win his and Yamaha’s first World Superbike title.

Ben Spies.
“I want to thank Yamaha globally for their faith in me,” said Spies. “They have treated me like royalty! Yamaha just recently allowed me to rethink my contract for 2010-2011; I did sign for WSB for 2010 but after Indy I began thinking of the competition and my age versus waiting until 2011. This was not an easy decision, the Yamaha World Superbike Team crew and especially Massimo (Maio) Meregalli have been fantastic and it’s been great fun to put in a season together. I am hoping that I can give Maio, Laurens Klein Koerkamp and everyone else a championship to remember this year with me. My thanks also extend to ‘Infront’, the promoter of the WSB series, especially Paolo Ciabatti. I have enjoyed his series and this first year racing in Europe. Now I have two challenges, to complete this year giving my best and to move towards new goals in MotoGP. Herve Poncharal at Tech 3 is showing his support by allowing me to come on board with my Crew Chief Tom Houseworth and Gregory Wood, my mechanic, who have both been with me since AMA days. We will have learning curves to overcome next year but I am up for the new goal. I hope to have a good year and my goal is to try and stay in the top 6-8 which, given the talented line up, will be a tall order. With the world upside down, there is one constant for me and that's Yamaha.”

Lin Jarvis, Managing Director of Yamaha Motor Racing, said “Following the announcement of Ben’s two year deal with Yamaha one month ago, he has reassessed his options and decided that he would like to move to MotoGP sooner rather than later. Yamaha has considered his request and together with Tech 3 we were able to find a way to make it happen. Ben has done a fantastic job in his rookie season in World Superbike and we are very excited to now be welcoming him into our MotoGP program sooner than we originally expected. We believe that Ben will be a fast learner next season and a strong future championship contender. We look forward to working with him in the years ahead“

Laurens Klein Koerkamp of Yamaha Motor Europe commented, "Of course we’re sorry to see Ben leave Yamaha’s World Superbike program and we are currently enjoying a fantastic season with him, but it’s clear that it’s the right decision for Ben’s career and for Yamaha. One of Yamaha’s goals is to bring up future MotoGP talent through Superbike and it is satisfying for us to see that this rider development route is working. Before he moves we still have some serious business to finish with Ben this year at the remaining two rounds!

“Although Ben will be missed I have no doubt that our new World Superbike line-up for next year will see us once again challenging for the title. We will be cheering loudly for Ben in MotoGP and we look forward to seeing him on the YZR-M1.”

Toseland will move over to Yamaha at WSBK and will partner Cal Crutchlow in that team.

The Yamaha World Superbike Team are proud to announce an all-British rider team for the 2010 season, with double World Superbike Champion James Toseland making a welcome return to the paddock. The popular 28-year-old recognised world wide as the UK’s number 1 rider has taken the opportunity to stay in the Yamaha family replacing Spies and moving across from the Yamaha Tech 3 MotoGP satellite team. Toseland enjoyed a strong rookie season in MotoGP in 2008 and has been a regular protagonist in the mid pack battles over the two years. His focus and commitment combined with his previous experience and success should prove a winning combination with the Yamaha team.

Partnering Toseland, current Yamaha World Supersport rider Cal Crutchlow moves up to the 1000cc class next year. 24yr old Crutchlow has been enjoying an incredible rookie year in the World Supersport Championship and with two rounds remaining, championship leader Crutchlow can already claim nine pole position starts, five race wins and numerous lap records on unknown circuits in his debut appearance on the world stage. His move from the World Supersport team to World Superbike is a natural progression and reflects Yamaha’s nurturing of young riders, allowing them to grow within the Yamaha Racing family. Crutchlow has already proved talented on a Superbike, ending the 2008 British Superbike season third in the standings alongside two wildcard appearances in World Superbike in 2008 which saw him score an impressive 2nd place finish on the podium at Donington and a ninth place at Portimao for the season finale.

“I’m looking forward to return to World Superbikes,” said James Toseland. “I want to show I’m still the rider that can win world titles. Of course there is some disappointment at losing my opportunity in MotoGP as I believe the challenge was still achievable, but the R1 has proven to be beyond the strongest bikes in Superbike and I know many of the Yamaha World Superbike Team guys, so I’m going to pick up where I left off and give 100% to achieving good results with the team. Within Superbike there were a few options available to me, however the way Yamaha have treated me since I joined them has been outstanding. They gave me a great opportunity in MotoGP, but now I do wish Ben all the best in his campaign and my aim is to continue Yamaha’s success in World Superbike.”

“I’m happy to stay to be staying with Yamaha,” said Cal Crutchlow. “This will be my second year of my two year contract as agreed when I started in Supersport this year. Moving up to World Superbike will be a great challenge, I’m looking forward to it and am under no illusion as to how hard it is but I intend to do a good job. I’m also looking forward to riding with another Brit. Ben is obviously doing really well this year and I wish him luck for the last two WSB rounds and next year in MotoGP. It’s great to be working with Yamaha again in 2010.”

“We are very excited about our 2010 rider line up,” said Laurens Klein Koerkamp, Racing Manager, Yamaha Motor Europe. “The experience of James combined with the fresh talent of Cal should make it a very competitive and successful combination to challenge for the title again in 2010. I have no doubt that James will be as strong in World Superbike as before, or even stronger with the added experience he picked up in MotoGP and we’re all very happy he stays with Yamaha. For Cal it’s a natural progression for both us and him to move up to the Yamaha World Superbike Team. As a successful R6 Cup rider in the past and having proven his talent yet again in World Supersport this year we want to continue developing his career within Yamaha.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 09:26 AM
7c Forever

Be interesting to see how that plays out.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
250 cc pilota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Be interesting to see how that plays out.
He is ready for it and will have Colin by his side 100%.
I think Cal will beat Toselands ass big time, he ain´t no rookie on Superbikes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 10:23 AM
7c Forever

ya I'm pulling for Cal aswell.

I just worry about Ben's size. I think having Team Texas is good tho, those 2 get on very well and will be helping each other out. I really don't know if he can reasonably expect to challenge for the title in his rookie year like he did in SBK tho.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
250 cc pilota.

If he can finish within top six it will be great I think. His size might be afactor but not the deciding one I think.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 12:26 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
ya I'm pulling for Cal aswell.

I just worry about Ben's size. I think having Team Texas is good tho, those 2 get on very well and will be helping each other out. I really don't know if he can reasonably expect to challenge for the title in his rookie year like he did in SBK tho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Spies
I hope to have a good year and my goal is to try and stay in the top 6-8 which
He is only looking to what is realistic.... I don't think by any means a satellite bike can compete for the title in a rookie year.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Lover View Post
He is only looking to what is realistic.... I don't think by any means a satellite bike can compete for the title in a rookie year.
no but maybe yamaha will give him a full factory package, bc im sure they want him to move up to the factory team asap, but with rossi and jorge their already who says theyll be looking to give up their seats next year if the m1 is still the bike to beat then.... but on regular sat. bike he stands no chance of taking the title but top 5 very much achievable, bc you figure stoner,rossi,lorenzo,pedrosa will take top 4 as usual and he'd probably be the best of the rest with only dovi,and the two marcos to contend with...imo

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 04:30 PM
7c Forever

ya those 2 marcos are gonna take some contending tho. Not that I don't think Ben has the talent but that little mass goes a long ways. Those guys are all shrimps.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 06:22 PM
BabyEater

Send a message via MSN to Lord_Phat
simoncelli beat spies in his second outing on a sbk... can't say i see rookie of the year panning out any other way

prejudices are what fools use for reason
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Abusin' the scooter

Send a message via Skype™ to Yamahuh
All British Yam WSBK team and all U.S Yam GP team - interesting.
Next year has all the makings of being a barnburner in both GP and WSBK - Simoncelli moving up along with Spies, Bautista, Barbera - could be awesome.

Spies to make wild card appearance at Valencia

Ben Spies will make a wild card appearance for Yamaha in the final round of 2009 at Valencia ahead of his permanent move into MotoGP next year.

Following the announcement on Thursday that Ben Spies will move to MotoGP in 2010, Yamaha Motor Company now announces that it will enter the Texan as a wild card into the season-ending Valencia race.

25-year-old Spies will participate as a single rider entry of a Yamaha Factory Racing Team, using YZR-M1 test bikes brought over from Japan. The Valencia MotoGP round takes place 6-8th November, two weeks after the final World Superbike round in Portugal.

The wild card entry will provide an opportunity for Spies to get extra circuit time prior to his inclusion in the Tech 3 Yamaha Team for the two-day MotoGP test on the Tuesday and Wednesday after the Grand Prix.

“It’s really hard to take an angry man seriously when he’s wearing a bathrobe.” - Carl Fogarty
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

yes next season will be exciting to say the least, and these last 2 wsbk races are quite intense as well, id really like to see ben bag the title before he moves on to GP... did you see that the ducati xerox team was saying that Rea showed stay out of the way of haga and spies to let them fight it out for the title.... yea funny thats coming from a guy whos other rider is constently up front and giving spies a hard time and knowing that sykes isnt going to get newhere near the front.....some nerve

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Abusin' the scooter

Well Rea did wipe out Nori earlier and it would be a shame for Nori or Ben for that matter to lose out on the title through someone else's mistakes but I say let them sort it out on the track. If a bad move by another rider was to cost either one the title there'd be hell to pay but I think any sensible rider would know that jeopardising the title race by scrapping for a win in a round that effectively meant nothing to them personally would be a huge no-no.Someone might want to explain that to Fabrizio tho'.... I'm sure Tardozzi is whispering in his ear right now

“It’s really hard to take an angry man seriously when he’s wearing a bathrobe.” - Carl Fogarty
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 05:51 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid1000 View Post
no but maybe yamaha will give him a full factory package, bc im sure they want him to move up to the factory team asap, but with rossi and jorge their already who says theyll be looking to give up their seats next year if the m1 is still the bike to beat then.... but on regular sat. bike he stands no chance of taking the title but top 5 very much achievable, bc you figure stoner,rossi,lorenzo,pedrosa will take top 4 as usual and he'd probably be the best of the rest with only dovi,and the two marcos to contend with...imo
I'm not sure the M1 is the bike to beat.... each weekend there are at least three manufacturers up top, it's the perfect combo of setup and attitude that comes out on top... not a certain manufacturer.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 06:37 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
I'm not sure the M1 is the bike to beat.... each weekend there are at least three manufacturers up top, it's the perfect combo of setup and attitude that comes out on top... not a certain manufacturer.
I definitely think the Yamaha is a step above. The Honda might be playing in the same ballpark but it's not on the same level. The Satellite Yamaha is able to give the Factory Honda's a run for their money.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 06:54 PM
No Crying Allowed

When Dani has his head together and is healthy... as in Indy he was on fire.... nobody could touch his Honda that weekend. So I'm not sure which is the best other then the one setup the best for that given track....

|
|
|
|
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Bring on 2010!!!
Going to be a good year for MotoGP fellas

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Abusin' the scooter

Man I hope so 'cos I'm getting sick of watching 4 or 5 good laps followed by nothing but boring ones as someone f**ks off into the distance and everyone else scraps for non podium spots.
Yawn!!!

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 11:38 PM
7c Forever

^^ werd. It's getting almost Doohanish.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
yea i gotta disagree with you there bro 3 out of 4 riders on the yamahas are consistently in the top 5 and 2 of them almost always on the podium.... honda and ducati are only up there due to stoner and pedrosas talents bc as you see all their other bikes are no where.... edwards is consistently giving dovi fits on a sat. bike and you cant say its all due to him being a better rider bc that would be a lie as dovi was beating him all last year

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 04:07 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid1000 View Post
yea i gotta disagree with you there bro 3 out of 4 riders on the yamahas are consistently in the top 5 and 2 of them almost always on the podium.... honda and ducati are only up there due to stoner and pedrosas talents bc as you see all their other bikes are no where.... edwards is consistently giving dovi fits on a sat. bike and you cant say its all due to him being a better rider bc that would be a lie as dovi was beating him all last year
ya that pretty much sums up where I'm at with it.

Saying that Pedrosa and Stoner can win isn't saying much. Pedrosa's 250 times would have put him in the top 5 in a 990gp race most weekends. Little fooker is stupid fast if you let him get out front.

And Casey... is superhuman.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode