Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Send a message via Skype™ to Yamahuh
KR Jr on TC

Interesting perspective and one that a lot of people will agree with I'm sure.

Read this

Its really hard to take an angry man seriously when hes wearing a bathrobe. - Carl Fogarty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Rookie again

Hmmmmm. He does have a point I'd say. I say do it and see what happens. I'd like to see a bigger field of riders too while we're at it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

No kidding - I've found the GP races this year particularly boring.
I watch the first few laps ff thru the middle ones (but keep my eye on the positions to see if anything has changed) and then watch the last half dozen laps, which is usually when Eurosport starts focusing on mid pack scraps 'cos the leader has cleared off into the distance and everyone has a 2 second lead over the next guy.

Its really hard to take an angry man seriously when hes wearing a bathrobe. - Carl Fogarty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 04:35 AM
7c Forever

we need to decide if MotoGP is about having the best bikes or the best show.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

No point having the best bikes if nobody wants to watch you race them

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

When one rider/bike dominates every race, I lose interest in that series. The perfect race series for me would be 16 races, 16 different race winners.
Race organizations rely on fan base. If they are not entertaining, the fans will lose interest.
Riders like Maladin, and Szoke only hurt their sport by going out and winning everything.
At least when Rossi was most dominant, he would hover around second or third until the last few laps before he made a pass for the win.
TC has proven to bring the fastest lap times, but fastest lap times don't make the best racing.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:55 PM
7c Forever

TC is also one of the very very very few MotoGP technologies that has actually managed to trickle down to the street.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

True - from the standpoint that GP tecnology has had a bearing on modern streetbike applications it has been a useful development, but I think KR JRs view that it has 'diluted' the ferocity of the machines and the public's perspective of the talents of the riders is valid.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 04:49 AM
7c Forever

oh definitely it is. I just see 2 different extremes in racing.

In snocross that I grew up in, factory teams were known to hold back on using the trickest new components because a supplier (Brembo in one particular instance that jumps into my head, Ohlins in another.) wouldn't be able to tool up to have those components available on the next years base model showroom floor machine. I've seen braking systems, suspension systems, not to mention chassis and engine stuff deliberately held back from factory race team sleds because there'd be a public outcry if it wasn't available for consumer purchase within 6 months on a stock machine.

On the other extreme we've got F1, where I'm hard pressed to think of a single advance from the last 20 years that has made it's way to a production vehicle of any type.

Once upon a time GP was much more like the former, and it's very rapidly slipping towards the latter. This is one of the very few things that has actually made a difference in the consumers life, and I'm not sure that taking it away is improving the MotoGP or motorcycling as a whole.

Lets face it, billet frames and pneumatic valves aren't gonna be finding their way into your R1 anytime soon. A faux big bang and traction control are the only 2 things to trickle down (that I can think of anyhow) since the 4-strokes came in. Even chassis stuff has stopped trickling down, billet frames don't find their way into a streetbike.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post

On the other extreme we've got F1, where I'm hard pressed to think of a single advance from the last 20 years that has made it's way to a production vehicle of any type.
Flappy panel gear shifters??

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 01:12 PM
7c Forever

yea push button gear shifting I guess trickled down. You could make an argument that turbocharging did too but it really was already in production before it hit F1, which is kind of backwards.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode