Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Send a message via Skype™ to Yamahuh
So very VERY sad

Marco Simoncelli - R.I.P

R.I.P

Marco Simoncelli dies after MotoGP crash in Sepang

Italian rider Marco Simoncelli has died after a horrific crash at the Malaysian MotoGP in Sepang.

The race was stopped on lap two when Simoncelli's bike veered across the track at turn 11 into the path of Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi.
The 24-year-old had his helmet knocked off and was hit by both other riders.

American rider Edwards also fell and dislocated his shoulder - while fellow Italian Rossi was able to return to the pits.
Simoncelli lay motionless on the track after the impact, while the race was immediately red-flagged.

At first officials were looking to restart the race before the extent of Simoncelli's injuries became clear.
The race was cancelled amid confusion in the grandstand, with fans throwing bottles to show their initial displeasure.

The death is the first fatality in MotoGP since Japan's Daijiro Katoh died from injuries sustained at the 2003 Japanese GP while, last year, Japan's Shoya Tomizawa died in a similar crash to Simoncelli in a Moto2 race in San Marino.

BBC MotoGP presenter Matt Roberts said: "Marco lost his helmet in the crash. The officials said that, when the track medics got to him, he was in cardiac arrest. They tried to resuscitate him in the ambulance and the medical centre. "Both riders collided with him and the impact corresponded to him losing his helmet. The saddest thing is that Valentino [Rossi] and Marco were very close friends. "Colin [Edwards] has a dislocated shoulder and is in a lot of pain. He and Valentino are absolutely devastated."

A MotoGP statement read: "On Sunday, 23 October, during the MotoGP race at the Sepang International Circuit, San Carlo Honda Gresini's Italian rider Marco Simoncelli suffered a serious accident wherein he sustained critical injuries. "The race was stopped immediately with the red flag and Simoncelli was transported by ambulance to the circuit medical centre where the medical staff worked to resuscitate him.Simoncelli dies in Sepang crash

"Despite their efforts, Marco sadly succumbed to his injuries at 4.56pm local time [0956 BST].

SIMONCELLI FACTFILE
Continue reading the main story

1987, January: Born Cattolica, Italy
2002: Wins the European 125cc title
2008, June: Wins his first 250cc race at the Italian GP
2008, October: Wins the 250cc World Championship
2009: Finishes third in the 250cc World Championship
2010: Moves up to MotoGP class riding for Honda
2011, June: Claims first MotoGP pole at the Catalunya GP
2011, August: First podium finish at Czech Republic GP
2011, October: 2nd place at Australian GP

"Everybody involved in MotoGP extends its deepest condolences to Marco's family, friends and team at this tragic loss."

And Sepang circuit chairman Mokhzani Mahathir added: "This is one-of-a-kind freak incident where the helmet came off and I am sure FIM [International Federation of Motorcycling] and MotoGP will be looking into this." Honda rider Simoncelli entered MotoGP for the 2010 season and won his first pole position at the Catalunya race in June this year. Simoncelli's first podium finish came in the Czech Republic in August when he finished third but he bettered that with a second-place finish at the Australian GP.

World champion Casey Stoner said: "As soon as I saw the footage it just makes you sick inside. Whenever the helmet comes off that's not a good sign."

British MotoGP rider Cal Crutchlow Tweeted: "RIP Marco Simoncelli! A great rider and all round nice guy. My thoughts are with all his family & friends. I will never forget today."

Its really hard to take an angry man seriously when hes wearing a bathrobe. - Carl Fogarty

Last edited by Yamahuh; 10-23-2011 at 05:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 04:19 PM
7c Forever

don't know what to say.

got woken up to this news at 0430 this am.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 06:51 PM
jimmy crack corn

yep not really sure why this has had such a deep impact on me.

couldn't sleep started drinking coffee and watching races early this morning and there it was in the second lap .

gut wrenching to say the least .

R.I.P MARCO

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Maybe because he was such a laid back, all round good guy - not a prima donna like some of the racers - and had a massively bright future ahead of him.

Such a terrible shame.

Its really hard to take an angry man seriously when hes wearing a bathrobe. - Carl Fogarty
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 07:54 AM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
That was a horrible accident.

Very sad. :-(

RIP Marco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Rollin in my 5.0

Send a message via Yahoo to beavisr1
Saw a vid of the accident. So sad looked like a piece of meat laying on the track. My wife almost cried.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 10:11 AM
Ass Cramp

Send a message via Yahoo to R6Flyby
Wow, that is some very sad news.

R.I.P Marco.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavisr1 View Post
Saw a vid of the accident. So sad looked like a piece of meat laying on the track. My wife almost cried.
That's an image that just won't go away Beav - Marco sliding down the track on his face and then the overhead shot of him laying there motionless...

Wonder how Rossi and Edwards are dealing with it?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahuh View Post
Marco was like a brother to Vale, so probably very hard.

I don't know how they get back on a bike and race. Most people would need a while to pull them selfs together.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 04:58 AM
Ass Cramp

Send a message via Yahoo to R6Flyby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahuh View Post
That's an image that just won't go away Beav - Marco sliding down the track on his face and then the overhead shot of him laying there motionless...

I was doing a search lastnight looking for a word from Rossi. I found a interview from Steve Parrish suggesting that Rossi may retire because of this.

BBC Sport - Marco Simoncelli: Steve Parrish on the accident

But this morning this story comes out that Rossi has no plans of retiring.

BBC Sport - Valentino Rossi has no plans to retire, says former manager

I'm sure at this point, it would be a very hard decision.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Sucks when this happens in any sport, especially ours though. RIP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode