Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 14,712
  
F1: Michelin puts blame on Max Mosley

[20/06/05 - 14:07]
Michelin puts blame on Max Mosley
'We proposed realistic, feasible alternatives'


French tyre-maker Michelin has rejected any blame for advising seven Formula One teams to pull out of Sunday's US Grand Prix because of fears its tyres might be dangerous.

After Ralf Schumacher's high-speed accident in Friday's free practice in Indianapolis left the German driver so shaken he had to withdraw from the race, Michelin admitted it could not guarantee the durability of the tyres supplied for the race.

They pinned hopes on new tyres being flown in from its base at Clermont-Ferrand. But formula one's governing body, the FIA, refused to allow new tyres to be used, or a chicane to be set up to slow the cars. But Michelin's competition deputy director Frederic Henry-Biabaud said Monday they had no option but to withdraw.

"Michelin would have been to blame if it had raced. Do you imagine what would have happened if, having seen the failure on Friday, we had decided to race the tyre and we had a problem," he told Europe 1 radio station. "I prefer, as a company, we find ourselves in this position rather than if there had been an accident."

He blamed the specifics of the Indianapolis track and he hit out at motor racing's governing body, the FIA, for failing to agree to a compromise.

"We proposed realistic, feasible alternatives," he added.

The FIA's stance was seen as a hardening of the battle lines between the body's president, Max Mosley, and the car manufacturers who back the idea of a breakaway championship in the face of Mosley's raft of new regulations to simplify motor racing to be brought in from the start of 2008.

Michelin's failure to supply its teams with safe and durable tyres came less than two weeks after it was warned by the FIA not to sacrifice safety for performance. Mosley wrote to Michelin in the wake of Kimi Raikkonen's suspension failure in the European Grand Prix - caused by vibrations which built up after the Finn flat-spotted his right front tyre - warning it should take no risks in the specifications of its tyres.

Source AFP


Who is 'right' in this strange situation?
valerossi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 09:52 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,350
  
MIchelin is just whining and bitching....

IF the manufacturer's break away from the FIM, it will be just like before, no one will watch or care about F1.

AS to the specifics of the course?? :BS
They've only successfully competed there for the last 5 years.

As to Max Mosley being the problem, no. Michelin is the problem, and amazingly, for once, they are getting the blame, and like a typical french bitch, they are now trying to pawn it off, and say it's not us, we didn't do anything wrong......

:BS
Michelin fugged it up, plain and simple, and if it was so dangerous, than why were most of the drivers very careful to answer the simple question.:
"if it were up to you would you have raced?"
All of them, with the exception of Coulthard, gave the politicaal ycorrect answer of "I do what the team tells me to do."
Coulthard has been arouind long enough, and is an AMERICAN enough team to give a big FU to the "Team concept" and say without reservation, "YES"

Michelin has made a major mistake, they know it, they know that they are in deep doodoo throughout the world media.
So much in fact that French TV dropped coverage of the race, because they were tired of hearing all the commentators do nothing but bash Michelin.
R1Budha is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 14,712
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Budha
Michelin fugged it up, plain and simple, and if it was so dangerous, than why were most of the drivers very careful to answer the simple question.:
"if it were up to you would you have raced?"
All of them, with the exception of Coulthard, gave the politicaal ycorrect answer of "I do what the team tells me to do."
Coulthard has been arouind long enough, and is an AMERICAN enough team to give a big FU to the "Team concept" and say without reservation, "YES"
No man, all the Michelin teams wanted the chicane or no race...


Michelin teams demand chicane - or no race!

SUNDAY 19TH JUNE 2005

The seven Michelin teams have agreed that they will only race in the US Grand Prix if a chicane is fitted before the banked turn 13 overnight.

Following a post-qualifying meeting, the teams have written a letter to the FIA explaining their position and requesting the construction of a chicane. However that is extremely unlikely to happen, which means that we could see a race take place with just the six Bridgestone cars in it - provided the Michelin teams stick to their agreement.

The bombshell decision came after a meeting of the team principals and Michelin bosses after all 20 cars had completed their qualifying laps. The French company could not guarantee the safety of its tyres, and the fact that this race is in the USA, where litigation is common, made things even more awkward.

The option of using the Barcelona tyres imported from Clermont-Ferrand has, in effect, been abandoned. Teams decided that they had no real information about whether they would last, and also there was no firm knowledge about what penalties might ensue if they were used, although it is understood that the FIA had informally suggested that something like a ten-second stop-and-go rather than exclusion. Thus the chicane option was considered the only viable choice.

"The intensive investigations that have been undertaken in the last 24 hours by our laboratory and technical teams in France and United States concerning the incidents that occurred on the Toyota cars during the free practice test of Friday, have allowed Michelin to reach the following conclusions," an official Michelin statement read.

"Given the combination of oval exit speed of the F1 cars and the subsequent downforces experienced by the tyres Michelin is not able to guarantee that such incidents would not reoccur during race conditions, and therefore Michelin is not able to guarantee the total safety of the drivers.

"As a result, Michelin, in total agreement with our partner teams has asked the FIA that a chicane, allowing the reduction of car speed be installed at the entrance to the oval. In this condition the Indianapolis F1 GP would be able to take place with the tyres that we used during the qualification.

"This proposition answers three Michelin objectives - the safety of the drivers, the support of our partner teams and the interest of the race for the F1 fans."

Bernie Ecclestone has agreed that it makes sense, and he is duty bound to provide a full field of cars for the race for promoter Tony George. However, the practicalities are insurmountable in terms of designing a chicane, building it, and ensuring that it is safe. All those jobs are the responsibility of Charlie Whiting, who has been spotted in deep conversation with Ecclestone during the weekend.

As of 8pm Saturday night, nothing had been done to put the process into motion, and we understand that, while Bernie wants it to happen, there are too many hurdles to be overcome in terms of safety. The cars do, of course, have the downforce configuration and gear ratios for the track as it was designed, and they won't be allowed to change.

The only realistic alternative is that the teams opt to run ?slowly' through the problematic turn 13. That is what Ferrari sources suggest they do, anyway?

:corn
valerossi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 14,712
  
And this is what DC said before the race...

DC: No chicane, no Red Bull Racing.

SUNDAY 19TH JUNE 2005

David Coulthard has confirmed that, if Michelin's request for a chicane before turn 13 of the Indianapolis road course is not granted, the field can scratch his Red Bull Racing team.

The Scot told British television channel ITV that RBR had been advised not to race by its tyre supplier following problems with the sidewalls of its two race specifications on Friday, and was likely to heed the warnings.

Nine of the team competing teams, Red Bull included, have agreed to race with a chicane in place, but both Ferrari and the FIA appear to oppose the plan. As a result, Coulthard has revealed that both he and team-mate Christian Klien are likely to complete one installation lap and then park their RB1-Cosworths...

:corn
valerossi is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 10:12 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,350
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi
No man, all the Michelin teams wanted the chicane or no race...
That's because they wanted to display a united front.
Not because thats what was going on.
They were being coereced by Michelin.
"We supply your tires and we say this."
R1Budha is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 10:16 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,350
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi
And this is what DC said before the race...

DC: No chicane, no Red Bull Racing.

SUNDAY 19TH JUNE 2005

David Coulthard has confirmed that, if Michelin's request for a chicane before turn 13 of the Indianapolis road course is not granted, the field can scratch his Red Bull Racing team.

The Scot told British television channel ITV that RBR had been advised not to race by its tyre supplier following problems with the sidewalls of its two race specifications on Friday, and was likely to heed the warnings.

Nine of the team competing teams, Red Bull included, have agreed to race with a chicane in place, but both Ferrari and the FIA appear to oppose the plan. As a result, Coulthard has revealed that both he and team-mate Christian Klien are likely to complete one installation lap and then park their RB1-Cosworths...

:corn
That's not what he said on the radio as he was completing the sighting lap....

He said, and i am quoting to the best of my recollection here...
"I know it's up to the principles, but if I have any input, I want to race"

Plain and simple adn carried live on speed channel.
So if you find the race video from speed, you will hear exactly that.

He also said in a pitlane interview while the race was running, that while he is under contract, he wanted to be out there racing, and that the team was doing what they had given their word to the other michelin shod teams, and not racing, despite the team and drivers having had "no problems" throughout all of practice and qualifying.
R1Budha is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 14,712
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Budha
That's not what he said on the radio as he was completing the sighting lap....

He said, and i am quoting to the best of my recollection here...
"I know it's up to the principles, but if I have any input, I want to race"

Plain and simple adn carried live on speed channel.
So if you find the race video from speed, you will hear exactly that.

He also said in a pitlane interview while the race was running, that while he is under contract, he wanted to be out there racing, and that the team was doing what they had given their word to the other michelin shod teams, and not racing, despite the team and drivers having had "no problems" throughout all of practice and qualifying.
I know DC wanted to race... but that doesn't mean he didn't demand a chicane... you know what I mean.
valerossi is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome