Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

MotoGP: Is Rossi better on a Yamaha or Honda?

THURSDAY 7TH JULY 2005

Since the introduction of the 990cc four-stroke MotoGP class at the start of 2002, 55 races have taken place. Of these, Valentino Rossi has won 35, while riding for Honda in 2002 and 2003 and then Yamaha from 2004 onwards.

As the following table shows, following his current run of success Rossi's win rate with Yamaha is now superior to that he achieved with Honda, but in the other categories compared - podium finishes, pole positions and average point score - Rossi's performance on an RCV is still superior.

Indeed, of the 32 MotoGP races Rossi started for Honda he finished on the podium an amazing 31 times, the exception being the Czech GP of 2003 when he retired from the race with tyre problems.

Rossi's Yamaha/Honda MotoGP careers compared:

Honda (2002 and 2003):
Starts:
Wins: 20 (62.5%)
Podiums: 31 (96.9%)
Pole positions: 16 (50%)
Average points per start: 22.25

Yamaha (2004 and 2005):
Starts:
Wins: 15 (65.2%)
Podiums: 18 (78.3%)
Pole positions: 9 (39.1%)
Average points per start: 20.6

Meanwhile, the #46's pole position at Assen marked the 29th time he has started from pole in the premier-class, equally the number achieved by 1993 World Champion Kevin Schwantz during his GP career.

Since full records have been available (from 1974) only Mick Doohan (58 poles) has been on pole more often than Rossi in the premier-class. But, worryingly for his opposition, Rossi has gone on to win 24 of the 29 races he has started from pole, a ratio equal to 82.8%. The next best pole-to-win ratio is held by Doohan with 63.8%.

Rossi's results in the five races he has not won after qualifying on pole are:

2001/Italy/Mugello - crashed when fighting for the lead in a wet two-part race.
2002/South Africa/Welkom - second to team-mate Tohru Ukawa after a race long battle.
2003/France/Le Mans - less than two tenths of a second behind Gibernau in a shortened wet race.
2003/Catalunya - second to Loris Capirossi after running off the track mid-race.
2004/Spain/Jerez - fourth in his first wet weather race on the Yamaha.

Rossi celebrates two wins from three starts in 2003, at Jerez.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 10:22 AM

His winning percentage is slightly better on the Yamaha but he was more Dominating on the Honda.
What He has done on the Yamaha and for Yamaha's MotoGP progam is amazing.
I would think if he has to be prouder of what he has done for Yamaha.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 10:23 AM

He is and has said so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 03:17 PM

I think it's more challenging for him on the Yamaha, but I don't know if he's better on it than the Honda.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 04:05 PM
meat popsicle

he needs to go to Ducati next and see if he can win on that, the italians would go crazy!!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 04:29 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaoTan
he needs to go to Ducati next and see if he can win on that, the italians would go crazy!!!

NO NO NO NO

Did I say NO!!! lol

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 08:51 PM

It was easier for him, actually it was a joke, to win on the Honda. He had the handling and the power advantage. Now with the yam 4 cyl. he's down on power so on some track he gotta work like a mofo to beat Sete.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 08:58 PM

I'd love to see Rossi on a Ducati !
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos
I think it's more challenging for him on the Yamaha, but I don't know if he's better on it than the Honda.
:imwst I agree.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 03:43 PM

Killer stats for half a season huh !!! The best part about watching Rossi ride and win, is we're watching history made every race !!! No doubt , hands down Rossi is the greatest racer of all time !!! His skillz are unmatched by anyone past or present! :
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelp
Killer stats for half a season huh !!! The best part about watching Rossi ride and win, is we're watching history made every race !!! No doubt , hands down Rossi is the greatest racer of all time !!! His skillz are unmatched by anyone past or present! :
i would disagree totally on that.
Is he the best of the current generation? Yes.
But i would say a racer who won all of his titles on a bike generally considered to be inferior ro the other bikes on the field would be possibly a better rider....

so lets just say that he's the best right now.....
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Budha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelp
i would disagree totally on that.
Is he the best of the current generation? Yes.
But i would say a racer who won all of his titles on a bike generally considered to be inferior ro the other bikes on the field would be possibly a better rider....

so lets just say that he's the best right now.....
I would have to disagree with you R1Budha...

Most of the previous legends didn't win their titles on a very inferior bikes... for example, Doohan... he was on a works(factory) NSR... nothing can touch that during that era... Agostini... he was on a MV Agusta... and trust me... MV Agusta during that time is nothing like Suzuki nor Kawasaki today... even Schwantz's Suzuki back then wasn't like Suzuki today...

You might say I'm biased, but Rossi did won every MotoGP title till today... and he is still leading the championship with an inferior machine to Honda... yes you may say it's not that inferior like before... but what about last year? Last year's machine was noticetable inferior to the RC211V... even this year the Honda pulls away in straight lines... Also, when Rossi was on a Honda, it's not like there are no other riders on a Honda too... how much inferior can it be for the other factory supported RC211Vs on the field? I'm pretty sure it's not as inferior as the M1 was... And you know, last year, if it wasn't Rossi, then everyone and Yamaha would think their machine is far behind again, cause the next best Yamaha on the grid was like 6 - 7th place behind all the Honda's...

His record book isn't close to be over yet... for me he's the greatest rider of all time...

:corn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode