Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

MotoGP: Wake up call for Suzuki HQ.

MONDAY 11TH JULY 2005

If visiting Suzuki motorcycle planning group leader Tak Hayasaki was unsure about the relative competitiveness of the 2005 spec GSV-R, Sunday's US Grand Prix at Laguna Seca left him in little doubt.

For while Nicky Hayden and Colin Edwards were able to prove just what a home advantage could do by claiming a USA one-two, Red Bull Suzuki's own home grown stars - John Hopkins and Kenny Roberts - were left down in eighth and fourteenth, 23secs and 1min 13secs respectively from Hayden's Repsol Honda.

With Hopkins in particular sliding aggressively to record the top finish by a Bridgestone rider, Hayasaki can barely expect more from one of his pilots - and both team-mates were seriously disappointed not to have been able to perform in front of their friends and families.

"I'm disappointed, it's definitely not where we wanted to finish," confirmed Hopper, who had qualified sixth. "I got passed by a few in the beginning and it's so hard to make the passes back. I ended up having to stick where I was, I tried for the longest time to get past Bayliss and it just didn't come along.

"With the higher temperatures we had to use a harder tyre that we hadn't really got on with all weekend and I didn't feel too comfortable on it. I wanted to put on a good show for the fans and I'm sure I did as I was sliding around a lot all race. It's good to see American riders one and two at their home GP, I just wish it was me," he admitted.

Meanwhile, former world champion Roberts had even less positives to take from the weekend, confessing that he's struggling at the moment.

"We couldn't put on a competitive performance whatsoever here and I feel bad for family, friends and fans that had come to watch," he said. "On the other hand this is what racing is about; if you're not competitive it looks real bad and at the moment I'm struggling. We will keep trying, I have a strong team and hopefully we can figure out what's going on with the package and get back to where we want to be."

Surprisingly, Laguna Seca marked Hayasaki's first MotoGP race and he left impressed by the Paul Denning run team and the level of competitiveness in the class - but with no solid promise of being able to provide the much needed performance gains.

"This is the first time I have been to a MotoGP and was very impressed by how well the team works," he said. "It has great organisation and operation and the teamwork is very good, but the competition is very tough here. I realise that we need to get better but the time is so quick and we will have to do everything we can to get a better result.

"This visit is going to be a great asset for me. I have been very impressed with the promotion of the team and the support from Red Bull, but we are definitely looking for better results and I think step by step it's not easy at all. I think we can do it, we will try 100%," he added.

If Denning's post race comments are anything to go by, then Hayasaki will have been told that the teams 'must haves' are more engine torque and tyre grip.

"We are still searching for a bit more torque and more grip," said Denning. "Bridgestone assisted us with the right choice of race tyre which stayed consistent to the end of the race, but maybe didn't have the extra grip that John needed to stay in the mid-24s, which he was capable of doing in the shorter runs during the practice sessions."

Denning also added that he'd like to see Red Bull and Suzuki join forces again in the future: "I'd like to thank Red Bull for partnering us. We gave it 100%, the bike looked awesome and we'd love to get Red Bull and Suzuki together again in the future."

Hopkins, U.S.MotoGP, 2005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 10:20 PM
Abusin' the scooter

Send a message via Skype™ to Yamahuh
"We couldn't put on a competitive performance whatsoever here and I feel bad for family, friends and fans that had come to watch," he said. "On the other hand this is what racing is about; if you're not competitive it looks real bad and at the moment I'm struggling. We will keep trying, I have a strong team and hopefully we can figure out what's going on with the package and get back to where we want to be."

Here??
We couldn't put on a competitive performance HERE??

That whining Mo'Fo hasn't been competitive ANYWHERE since 2000
I wish Suzuki would just can his miserable ass, get their shit together and give Hopper a competitive bike.

Its really hard to take an angry man seriously when hes wearing a bathrobe. - Carl Fogarty
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

They should get McCoy to replace Roberts...

:corn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 09:30 AM
Ask the Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahuh
That whining Mo'Fo hasn't been competitive ANYWHERE since 2000
I wish Suzuki would just can his miserable ass, get their shit together and give Hopper a competitive bike.
bwhahahah! so true.

hopper could be SO much faster on a faster bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 10:08 AM

it seems theres going to be a big meeting with hopper and the Suzuki Top Brass as there offering him a 3 year contract

Personally i'd tell them to stick it and try and get a compertive ride coz riding the suzuki is like ghead
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugwash
it seems theres going to be a big meeting with hopper and the Suzuki Top Brass as there offering him a 3 year contract

Personally i'd tell them to stick it and try and get a compertive ride coz riding the suzuki is like ghead

LOL yeah you got to feel sorry for him..... I wonder what it would be like if he teamed up with Nicky Hayden.... with Reposl Honda.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 08:41 PM
Abusin' the scooter

I'm sure Hopper could be a force in MotoGP if he got himself a decent ride, the kid has talent in spades but the last thing he needs to do is spend too much time with an uncompetitive team because of misguided loyalty. In the end it might end up reflecting badly on his capabilities and preventing him from getting good offers.

Roberts just needs to go back to Daddy's ranch and figure out where his competitive spirit went. I've had zero respect for him since he just pulled off the track a couple of years ago mid-race for no reason whatsoever and has produced no results since. No doubt he can ride but c'mon...better riders, with more drive, ambition, desire, potential..whatever you want to call it have lasted ONE season in GP because they didn't produce the results that they were expected to produce. He gets to fuck around on the periphery for 5 SEASONS and still has a job? :wackit

Miserable sonuvabitch, Hopper kicks his ass every weekend and yet he's still the #1 rider...
He irritates the piss outta me!!

Can you tell?

Its really hard to take an angry man seriously when hes wearing a bathrobe. - Carl Fogarty
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 08:43 PM

not really....

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 09:43 AM
Abusin' the scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Budha
not really....

OK, good...

... I'd hate to be obvious

:

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 09:57 AM

Roberts stays the #1 rider because of his daddy's history, and the fact that he won a 500cc championship himself. I've read articles in which he confesses that they shouldn't have won the title that year and that he saw bad things happening for Suzuki, because thier bike was falling far behind the rest. They need to dump Bridgestone, their race tires suck. Yea, they can do 3-5 laps quick, then the tires go off, what good is that?

I don't like Kenny Roberts, and Curtis Roberts, that fucker doesn't belong in any racing series. I don't think he will win another AMA race, he's riding the family name for all it's worth. I remember when he left the AMA, after finally getting his FIRST superbike win. He was talking about how he was so glad to be getting out of the AMA and into some better racing, like he was bored with the scene over here and he was too good for it. Well, how did that work out for you, shithead?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 05:52 PM
Abusin' the scooter

:laugh

Not too good if I recall...

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 07:57 PM
Ask the Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimp
Roberts stays the #1 rider because of his daddy's history, and the fact that he won a 500cc championship himself. I've read articles in which he confesses that they shouldn't have won the title that year and that he saw bad things happening for Suzuki, because thier bike was falling far behind the rest. They need to dump Bridgestone, their race tires suck. Yea, they can do 3-5 laps quick, then the tires go off, what good is that?

I don't like Kenny Roberts, and Curtis Roberts, that fucker doesn't belong in any racing series. I don't think he will win another AMA race, he's riding the family name for all it's worth. I remember when he left the AMA, after finally getting his FIRST superbike win. He was talking about how he was so glad to be getting out of the AMA and into some better racing, like he was bored with the scene over here and he was too good for it. Well, how did that work out for you, shithead?
whether he should or shouldn't have......he did win a championship. gotta give him that.

kurtis has shown some speed, but got the gp chance because of his dad, and that all. i don't think he'd proved himself enough stateside to deserve having been there. now that he's back, he can't get the erion bike to go, either.

however, he's still faster than 90% of us out there that own a bike. too bad for him he's in the lower end of the top 10%.

people can bitch about being put on slower machinery and losing, but valentino proved that even a slow machine can't hide talent. :

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 08:44 PM
Abusin' the scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk2003
[ i don't think he'd proved himself enough stateside to deserve having been there. now that he's back, he can't get the erion bike to go, either.

however, he's still faster than 90% of us out there that own a bike. too bad for him he's in the lower end of the top 10%.

people can bitch about being put on slower machinery and losing, but valentino proved that even a slow machine can't hide talent. :
This debate can go on forever and here's a new twist...you said that you didn't think Curtis had proved himself enough stateside to get a GP ride, remember when Nicky was given the nod by Honda to partner Valentino instead of Colin Edwards?
Let's not forget that Edwards had just won a WSB championship for Honda in a spectacular last race against Bayliss. It actually came down to the last race to determine the champ. Many people, myself included, felt that GP ride should have gone to Edwards over Hayden. Although Nicky is an awesome rider and had proved himself Stateside I thought that Colin Edwards' acheivments on the WORLD stage deserved more recognition than winning a homegrown championship.

I agree with you completely about the slow machinery not being able to hide talent, people can make all the excuses they want for why Rossi is now winning on a Yamaha after so many years of them being relatively uncompetitive. The facts are these, he surrounds himself with extremely talented people who listen to what he says...he's an awesome development rider and he's simply the most accomplished, talented and focused racer I've ever had the pleasure of watching!

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 06:32 AM

H*nda did a major shit all over Colin after he busted his Balls getting the superbike title , so i for one was really happy when Yamaha gave him the chance to run in there team as know he's got a Team that listens to him

Curtis was g8 for one thing in MoToGp Keeping the Scrapbins full up anf the fire trucks busy

as for Kenny Junior he should hand in his helmet and f**k off home

think about it though if every hopeless MoToGP rider was sacked how many bikes would there be Vacant on the Grid and more Importantly who would they get to replace them instead ?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk2003
[ i don't think he'd proved himself enough stateside to deserve having been there. now that he's back, he can't get the erion bike to go, either.

This debate can go on forever and here's a new twist...you said that you didn't think Curtis had proved himself enough stateside to get a GP ride, remember when Nicky was given the nod by Honda to partner Valentino instead of Colin Edwards?
Let's not forget that Edwards had just won a WSB championship for Honda in a spectacular last race against Bayliss. It actually came down to the last race to determine the champ. Many people, myself included, felt that GP ride should have gone to Edwards over Hayden. Although Nicky is an awesome rider and had proved himself Stateside I thought that Colin Edwards' acheivments on the WORLD stage deserved more recognition than winning a homegrown championship.
The main reason why HRC chose Nicky over Colin is because of the age. They've mentioned many times on different interviews about furture riders for them and they always say that they would rather invest their money on much younger riders instead. The reason is that, the younger the rider is, the easier it is for him to learn and correct his style to suit the GP bikes. If you look at the statistics, they're actually right. Until now, non of the older WSBK champions or riders has been very successful in GP.

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugwash
H*nda did a major shit all over Colin after he busted his Balls getting the superbike title , so i for one was really happy when Yamaha gave him the chance to run in there team as know he's got a Team that listens to him

Curtis was g8 for one thing in MoToGp Keeping the Scrapbins full up anf the fire trucks busy

as for Kenny Junior he should hand in his helmet and f**k off home

think about it though if every hopeless MoToGP rider was sacked how many bikes would there be Vacant on the Grid and more Importantly who would they get to replace them instead ?
I think one of the main reasons why Colin got the Yamaha ride is because of Rossi, remember they're good friends? I'm pretty sure Rossi has mentioned his name a few times when Yamaha was looking for a 2005 rider back in 2004...

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 08:42 AM
Abusin' the scooter

No doubt, I understand the logic.
I just think it's a bit heartless when you hand a kid who's won a few National titles / races the dream job and ignore the guy who just handed you a WORLD title.

I guess Honda has a rep for treating people like shit though, look how they treated Alex Criville, wouldn't even let him ride demo laps before his home GP on the bike he won the Championship with.
Talk about saying

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 10:52 AM
Ask the Chief

Quote:
No doubt, I understand the logic.
I just think it's a bit heartless when you hand a kid who's won a few National titles / races the dream job and ignore the guy who just handed you a WORLD title.

I guess Honda has a rep for treating people like shit though, look how they treated Alex Criville, wouldn't even let him ride demo laps before his home GP on the bike he won the Championship with.
Talk about saying
:imwst

young or not young, colin MAY have given them titles right off the bat. investing 4 or 5 years in nicky....just hoping he amounts to a champion....is unlike honda. they always want immediate results, and they were hoping for titles right off the bat with him. if they can fuck colin as they did, they can fuck nicky just as fast. seems they've been pretty patient with nicky....don't know why. he's under contract for another year, but they didn't need to give him that contract. i keep hearing that they hope he "matures" and "comes around". i hope he does too.

colin got a pretty big shaft. seemed like even once he got on honda equipment last year, they still weren't willing to hook him up. you constantly heard about how he was at the bottom of the parts pecking order.

maybe honda holds something against him? i don't totally buy "age".

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 05:45 PM
Abusin' the scooter

How old was Doohan when he won his first GP title?
I'm betting he was older than Nicky.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Abusin' the scooter

Right from the Hopper interview:

How does it make you feel when you are the only rider at Suzuki that is putting the effort in? The bike obviously needs development, but Kenny riding around like 'Driving Miss Daisy' isn't going to get the job done!
- Chris Jenkins

John Hopkins: (Laughs) Well Chris, it's good that somebody shares my same feelings - exactly really. Right now the bike's still in its development stage, which it has been for the past four-years, that's not an excuse it's just fact. I'm doing everything I can to get the Suzuki built for what I need, so I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks, but two heads are better than one, as they say. I honestly give 110% every time I'm out on the track - Suzuki knows that and I really hope they start looking to me for what the bike needs.

It's kind of hard to develop a bike when you're only riding around at 70-80%, so that's a disappointment, but I'm doing everything I can so that's all that matters to me.

Q: Do you take some pride from regularly beating Kenny considering he's a world champion? If you could pick any team-mate who would it be and why?
- James K.
- Koos van Staden

John Hopkins: Well it's not about taking pride, I mean of course whenever you're racing - and you can't win the race - the first person you turn to beat is a) the other person on the exact same bike as you and b) the other persons on the exact same tyres as you.

Kenny Jr.
Time to go home, sit on the porch with your trophies and remember when you were competitive :wackit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode