Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

MotoGP: Two US GPs from 2007?

WEDNESDAY 13TH JULY 2005

The success of last weekend's US Grand Prix at Laguna Seca, the first Motorcycle Grand Prix held in the United States since 1994, has reignited the interest of Barber Motorsports Park in hosting a MotoGP race.

The Alabama circuit had previously been named as the most likely venue for MotoGP's return, until funding problems saw it superseded by Laguna Seca - which will also host next year's race. However, Barber's promoters are now looking at either taking over the US GP from 2007 or, more likely, of holding a second event.

"We feel there's a possibility of a second MotoGP race in the near future, and by near future, I mean 2007 or 2008," Gene Hallman, president and CEO of Zoom Motorsports - the event promoter for Barber Motorsports Park - told The Birmingham News.

"Dorna Sports, the governing body for MotoGP, wanted to see how the Laguna Seca event went, and particularly how the manufacturers felt about the race, before they committed to another US race.

"Our philosophy in a nutshell is that we certainly want to keep our MotoGP options viable," he declared. "We do believe at some point in the next two to four years, we will be given an opportunity to host the US Grand Prix, or a second American Grand Prix."

Barber Motorsports Park already hosts a round of the AMA Superbike championship, but the relatively tight layout - although flowing and 'modern' in its design - rarely allows the Superbike's to use all their potential.

The 2006 Red Bull US Grand Prix, at Laguna Seca, will take place on July 21-23.

Hopkins, Checa, Gibernau, Edwards, Barros, Melandri, U.S.MotoGP, 200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 11:41 AM

I want to see the museum located at that track. I hope they do host a moto gp event. I have heard good things about that track. 8)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena808
I want to see the museum located at that track. I hope they do host a moto gp event. I have heard good things about that track. 8)
Really? I just hope it's a bigger track than Laguna...

:corn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 12:10 PM

There's a guy named Steve Lincoln, he lives in lower alabama. Owns one of my favorite West Coast Chopper. He told me that track is the best if I wanted to do a track day in the states. I cant compare them for I havent visited neither. The only tracks I've gone to in the states is Irwindale, Pomona and Vegas. That was for the NHRA though. Yes, I'm a very complexed individual, eventually I'll make sense. :
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 12:12 PM

So what do the rest of you state side folks think about the race also being held at Barbers Motorsports?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena808
There's a guy named Steve Lincoln, he lives in lower alabama. Owns one of my favorite West Coast Chopper. He told me that track is the best if I wanted to do a track day in the states. I cant compare them for I havent visited neither. The only tracks I've gone to in the states is Irwindale, Pomona and Vegas. That was for the NHRA though. Yes, I'm a very complexed individual, eventually I'll make sense. :
:

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 01:09 PM

barber is a great facility, however it would suck for MotoGP

that would like be taking a NHRA top fuel dragster and running it on an 1/8 mile strip.

useless.

I'd love to see a second venue, but if they really want to put it somewhere, and they really want to use the bikes to full potential, put em at Road America.

Maybe not the greatest and newest, but at least they could actually stretch their legs there.....

either that or BArber needs to make a bigger track.

I wouldn't attend Barber for a USGP, and since i'm between the two and neither is especially c loser or cheaper to attend, i'd go to Laguna as it has more to offer with the racing than Barber ever will.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Budha
barber is a great facility, however it would suck for MotoGP

that would like be taking a NHRA top fuel dragster and running it on an 1/8 mile strip.

useless.

I'd love to see a second venue, but if they really want to put it somewhere, and they really want to use the bikes to full potential, put em at Road America.

Maybe not the greatest and newest, but at least they could actually stretch their legs there.....

either that or BArber needs to make a bigger track.

I wouldn't attend Barber for a USGP, and since i'm between the two and neither is especially c loser or cheaper to attend, i'd go to Laguna as it has more to offer with the racing than Barber ever will.
hmm... good points... I think if Laguna isn't good enough for MotoGP, I doubt Barber will... at least Laguan has hosted WSBK there before...

I just checked the Road America track... it's a lot longer than Laguna... 4.04 miles vs. 2.24 miles... and Barber is about the same lenght as Laguna... 2.30 miles...

:corn
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 01:38 PM

Thanks Guys 8)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 09:43 PM

Our utah track may be a possibility..

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/index.cfm
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcmuffinboi
Our utah track may be a possibility..

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/index.cfm
not enough amenities for GP
gotta have full garages....

but that is gonna be one hella nice track
plus nothing against SLC, but it's too far from what many people would consider a happening place to visit....
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 08:52 PM

I hope Barber doesn't steal Moto GP away from Laguna Seca. This past weekend was awesome and I can't wait until 2006. Now that Laguna has made some improvements to the track, they need to make some improvements to the facility and make that place more fan friendly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14_-_rossi_wall_689.jpg (112.5 KB, 17 views)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Apex
I hope Barber doesn't steal Moto GP away from Laguna Seca. This past weekend was awesome and I can't wait until 2006. Now that Laguna has made some improvements to the track, they need to make some improvements to the facility and make that place more fan friendly.
They also need to make more changes to the facility so that it meets the minimum requirements just to keep the GP series.

And they need to do it so that american fans also get to see the true FULL GP experience, not just 1/3 of it.....
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 09:07 AM
Ta Moko

So how come the Willows race track never gets a mention? I've heard its big and fast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode