Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

MotoGP: Rossi on Gibernau.

THURSDAY 21ST JULY 2005

Valentino Rossi has revealed that he has been surprised by the relatively poor form shown by double MotoGP runner-up Sete Gibernau so far this season, in which the Catalan has suffered two DNFs - dropping the Movistar Honda rider to fourth in the championships standings after 8 of 17 rounds.

"Yes," replied Rossi, when asked if the Catalan's poor form was a surprise. "Last year, and two years ago, he was very strong, This year, one week he is okay - he is one of the fastest - but he is not consistent.

"Last year he wanted to win, for sure, but also second place was okay. This year, maybe he started the year saying 'I want to win or nothing'... and nothing!" added Rossi with a slight smile, explaining that he thought Gibernau may have been putting too much pressure on himself.

The Italian then confirmed that the events of Qatar last season, when Rossi blamed Gibernau for a grid cleaning protest that sent the #46 to the back of the grid, had soured their previously amicable relationship.

"For sure it changed the relationship with Gibernau a lot because before we didn't have a problem, but in that race for me it was dirty what happened," said Vale. "It had never happened before in our sport. It had happened in some other sports, but not in motorcycle racing.

"After (Qatar), whenever I see Gibernau I want to arrive in front of him," concluded the six-times world champion, who famously clashed with Sete at the final turn of the season opening Spanish Grand Prix (top pic).

Gibernau crash, Portuguese MotoGP Race 2005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 10:52 AM

i hear that rossi promised that gibernau would never win a GP as long as he was still racing after the events at qatar.

to rossi for keeping that promise
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I heard that too... the commentator at USGP mentioned... but not sure how true is that...

With this latest comment, I think Rossi's already killing Gibernau psychologically...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 11:22 AM

rossi has already eaten gibernau's soul.

this season is already over. i just hope hopper will make podium and edwards will contend for top 3
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Ask the Chief

interesting how no one figured melandri into things this year.....

he's second in points with consistent finishes. wonder if he and sete get along.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 12:10 PM

last year you could see melandri's potential. to bring fortuna to the podium was a feat in and of itself.

i think what it is is that rossi has just demoralized everybody on the field so much so that they've got nothing to fight for. i mean, who wants to fight for second place?

with that in mind:
with the season half over, and edwards string of consistent finishes, i can see him coming in second place at the end of the season.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Ask the Chief

season is FAR from over.

a crash or two and people will be right at rossi's heels. 70 points ain't much.

i would never say the field has nothing to fight for. evey one of those guys goes to the line hoping to win a race. several have in the last few years.....rossi is dominant, not invincible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 12:26 PM

that's assuming melandri takes first place both times and rossi is not going to let up. after winning the title for yamaha, yamaha wants him to win the constructors title. with the density of hondas on the field, rossi knows he's really gotta perform to do so.

additionally, with the entire year/season previously had by rossi and the m1, i'm going to say that rossi is pretty much invincible. i highly doubt we'll see more than 1 crash from him this season. sure he may lose a race here and there, but, as they say, he may have lost a battle, but he's won the war.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 10:58 PM
FAsT BOYS

he might get close but rossi is hard to beat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode