Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Ask the Chief

Rossi on pole for Donnington....

23 July 2005

Two weeks after his worst finish of the season, a third place at Laguna Seca, Gauloises Yamaha’s Valentino Rossi restored order to the MotoGP world. The runaway championship leader was fastest in Saturday morning’s practice, then raced to the pole position in afternoon qualifying for Sunday’s British Grand Prix at Donington Park. The track, in the British Midlands, is something of a second home grand prix for the Italian who calls London home. It’s also a track where he’s won six times and nearly seven.

The fast lap was run with just over four minutes remaining in Saturday’s one hour session. There was the usual flurry of activity on the run up to and right after the checkered flag, but the name at the top didn’t change.

The lap of 1:27.897 was nearly a second under last year’s lap record and gave him a cushion of nearly 0.3 seconds on second place.

MoviStar Honda MotoGP’s Sete Gibernau moved to second at the very end of the session. The Spaniard had moved to the top near the 13 minute mark, only to see his time bettered by Rossi three minutes later. Gibernau dropped as far back as fourth before his late lap shot him up to the middle of the front row.

Teammate Marco Melandri took his turn at the top with around 6:30 to run, but Rossi’s fast lap came two minutes later and dropped his fellow Italian to second. Gibernau’s best lap pushed him down to third.

Camel Honda’s Alex Barros was briefly in third-before Gibernau’s flyer-with the Brazilian ending up fourth in front of Red Bull U.S. GP winner Nicky Hayden. Hayden had slotted into second just seconds after Rossi took over the top, then watched his position drop down to fifth, over half a second back of the reigning world champion.

Gauloises Yamaha’s Colin Edwards, second in the past two races, filled out the second row.

Camel Honda’s Troy Bayliss took seventh fastest, just .006 in front of Repsol Honda’s Max Biaggi. The third row ended with Konica Minolta Honda’s Makoto Tamada.

Suzuki’s John Hopkins was on the fourth row pole, in tenth, and six spots in front of his teammate Kenny Roberts.

Rossi has won in four classes at Donington Park, 125cc, 250cc, 500cc, and MotoGP. Following his 250cc GP win in 1999, he’s won every premier class race. But in 2003 he was demoted from first to third after being assessed a 10 second penalty for passing under a waving yellow flag. The win went to Max Biaggi.

MotoGP Qualifying:

1. Valentino Rossi (Yamaha) 1:27.897

2. Sete Gibernau (Honda) 1:28.182

3. Marco Melandri (Honda) 1:28.295

4. Alex Barros (Honda) 1:28.394

5. Nicky Hayden (Honda) 1:28.415

6. Colin Edwards (Yamaha) 1:28.656

7. Troy Bayliss (Honda) 1:28.720

8. Max Biaggi (Honda) 1:28.726

9. Makoto Tamada (Honda) 1:28.976

10. John Hopkins (Suzuki) 1:29.231

Other:

16. Kenny Roberts (Suzuki) 1:30.260

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Ask the Chief

1:27? Looks like everyone has some work to do......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk2003
1:27? Looks like everyone has some work to do......
They should jsut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 12:01 PM
No Crying Allowed

Heeeeeeeeeee's Back..................

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER
Heeeeeeeeeee's Back..................
Amen !!!

Valentino Rossi, Gauloises Yamaha - 1’27.897, 1st
“For sure this is a very special pole position because I live here and I am having a lot of fun. I think for tomorrow everybody will wake up and hope for good weather because yesterday we lost a lot of time because of the rain. Today the situation was better, it was a few degrees warmer and when the conditions are like this it is a great pleasure to ride at Donington Park. With the MotoGP bike it is incredible, one of my favourite tracks, and I always go very well here. I am happy because I was able to do a great lap – almost one second faster than last year. The bike is quite good and the feeling is not bad, also with the race configuration. For sure the race will be hard but we will try to fix a few last things in the morning and I hope to do well.”
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 01:54 PM

The Doctor operates again... :

"più forte non si può"
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
again hayden can't do it...he had a huge advantage on that track, but i don't think he belongs on the podium just yet. i'm glad he did, but i think sete and rossi are way out of his leage still. i could see him getting a third or so if he rides the wheels off it, but he'll have more crashes then he will third place trophies....

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 05:23 PM

Rossi let him win!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve04R1
Rossi let him win!
Wrong. Anyone who believes that is misinformed. My friend Aaron, who is the editor for Super Streetbike and also writes for Motorcyclist, was watching from the hill entering the corkscrew, looking straight down the hill where they come into the corner, right against the concrete barrier. He said that Rossi was pushing as hard as he could, and at the end he was trying so hard that he nearly crashed coming into the corkscrew on the 4th and 3rd to last laps. He said that Rossi was coming in so hot that he was plowing the front end for 30-40 feet while holding the bike up with his knee entering the corkscrew, almost running off the track. He was pushing, Hayden was just faster here.

Rossi the last two laps, because he knew he couldn't catch either Hayden or Edwards, just wasn't his track or his day. He took his points and went home, instead of crashing trying to catch riders that were faster than he was on that day.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 06:52 PM

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Ta Moko

go Nicky

JK :

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I trust what my friend Aaron tells me, he is an extremely smart guy and knows alot about raicng and motorcycles, it's his job. I talked with him about the race at length this week when I saw him, and he saw, in person, how hard Rossi was trying to catch up at the end of the race. Rossi was pushing, but Nicky had track experience which probably resulted in a better race set up. I'll bet next year Rossi will win, since he's been to the track before now and has probably learned a lot, but Nicky was just faster at Laguna.

That's my opinion, but I'm probably just retarded. It's all a fix, we all know that.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 10:24 PM
FAsT BOYS

Quote:
Rossi let him win!
no
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 10:39 PM

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 04:37 AM

Morning Warm up WET

1 KRJR 1'43.948
2 Vale 1'44.204
3 marco 1'44.270
4 Checa 1'44.299
5 loris 1'44.822
6 Max 1'45.159
7 Troy 1'45.469
8 alex B 1.45.589
9 Sete 1'45.807
10 nicky 1'45.863
11 Alex H 1'45.908
12 Hopper 1'46.056
13 Colin 1'46.300
14 elias 1'46.753
15 nakano 1'46.867
16 Shakey 1'47.171
17 Tamada 1'47.679
18 Zaus 1'47.694
19 Battaini 1'48.074
20 Ellison 1'52.094
21 Rolfo 1'53.604
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 04:40 AM

Qualifying practice / ROSSI TAKES FIFTH POLE OF THE SEASON AT ‘HOME’ CIRCUIT
Gauloises Yamaha Team rider Valentino Rossi will start tomorrow’s British Grand Prix from the front of the MotoGP grid after clocking his fifth pole position of the season in this afternoon’s qualifying practice at Donington Park. The Italian smashed his own pole record at the Nottinghamshire circuit by almost a second when he clocked a time of 1’27.897 on his 27th lap of the afternoon session. Rossi’s effort put him over half a second clear of his rivals just two minutes from the end of the session, with Sete Gibernau (Honda) reducing the gap to 0.285 seconds on the final lap.

After setting the pace in yesterday’s first free practice sessions, Rossi’s Gauloises Yamaha team-mate Colin Edwards was unable to continue his dominance today, slipping to sixth place on the grid but securing a valuable second row start. The American continued to work from the excellent base set-up he found yesterday and put in a scorching race pace during the morning session, when he was second fastest behind Rossi. However, a rear tyre experiment in the afternoon did not go as Edwards had hoped and he lost a handful of positions in the late push for times. Rossi and Gibernau will be joined on the front row of the grid by Marco Melandri (Honda), whilst Alex Barros and Nicky Hayden (both Honda) start immediately ahead of Edwards on row two.

VALENTINO ROSSI (1st; 1’27.897 – 30 laps)

“For sure this is a very special pole position because I live here and I am having a lot of fun. I think for tomorrow everybody will wake up and hope for good weather because yesterday we lost a lot of time because of the rain. Today the situation was better, it was a few degrees warmer and when the conditions are like this it is a great pleasure to ride at Donington Park. With the MotoGP bike it is incredible, one of my favourite tracks, and I always go very well here. I am happy because I was able to do a great lap – almost one second faster than last year. The bike is quite good and the feeling is not bad, also with the race configuration. For sure the race will be hard but we will try to fix a few last things in the morning and I hope to do well.”

COLIN EDWARDS (6th; 1’28.656 – 29 laps)

“My race pace this morning was really good – consistently around 1’29.2 and I’m pretty happy with that. This afternoon I did a 1’29.6 on a tyre that had 24 laps on it so we know we’re in good shape for the race. I was hoping to push into the 1’27s on a soft tyre but I tested a different construction rear for seven laps at the start of the session and it gave me a little chatter on the front end, which damaged my confidence a little bit. It’s my own fault but after that I found it hard to push the front as much as I had done in the morning and didn’t quite get the lap time I had hoped for. Anyway, it makes no difference whether I am on the front row or the second row – if you can get a good start you pretty much end up in the same place by the first corner.”

DAVIDE BRIVIO – GAULOISES YAMAHA TEAM DIRECTOR

“It has been a very good weekend for us so far. Valentino set pole position with a great lap and to knock nine tenths off the previous record is a very good achievement for the whole team. Unfortunately Colin didn’t get the grid position he deserved after the way he has ridden all weekend, but his race pace is very good and I don’t think the second row will be a problem for him – it is just a matter of getting a good start. Both our riders have a good pace and if it stays dry as we all hope then we feel confident that both Vale and Colin will be at the front.”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode