Racing MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, F1, WRC, DTM, NASCAR, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

MotoGP: Donington GP Result!!!

What a race!

Biaggi
Hayden
Melandri
Gibernau
Hopkins
Bayliss
Nakano

etc.

Valentino Rossi has won an action packed British Grand Prix, run in soaking wet conditions, the Italian fighting his way back from a poor start to spend almost the entire race in a four-man fight for victory with Alex Barros, Kenny Roberts and Colin Edwards.

With positions changing at almost every lap, Rossi finally passed long time leader Barros with seven laps to go - and promptly disappeared into the mist - leaving a bar-to-bar fight for second between Barros and Roberts that would only be decided with half a lap to go.

Roberts eventually forced his way through heading onto the back straight and then held on to the flag, crossing the line almost 7secs behind Rossi. Edwards backed off in the closing stages to take a safe fourth, with Checa a distant fifth for Ducati on a day when less than half the field finished.

British Grand Prix:

Rossi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 09:47 AM

Go!!!!!!! Rossi Go!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 10:01 AM

Great Race thoughly enjoyed it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 10:12 AM
meat popsicle

i thought that list of crashers was race results, i almost fainted
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaoTan
i thought that list of crashers was race results, i almost fainted
:
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 10:21 AM

MotoGP Race

Valentino Rossi started from pole position for the fifth time this season and the 29th time his career and the Italian sensation has gone on to take victory on 24 of those occasions but the rain and wind at Donington had many other riders fancying their chances of putting one over the reigning World Champion. Rossi's pole lap was also a new outright motorcycle lap record at Donington and the top 14 qualifiers all put down times under the race lap record set by Colin Edwards last year. Only a brave man would have bet against Rossi in the dry at Donington this weekend but with the rain falling a cat had certainly been put amongst the pigeons.

Sete Gibernau lined up alongside Rossi on the front row and the Spaniard is a proven wet weather performer and has finished on the podium at Donington in both 2003 and 2004.

Melandri rounded out the three rider front row for the sixth time this year. The young Italian on the 250cc race at Donington on his way to winning the World Championship in 2002.

Kenny Roberts had qualified in a lowly 16th place on the grid but the Suzuki man has a great track record in the wet and was the quickest man in this morning's wet warm up. Bridgestone have sometimes shown an edge over Michelin in the wet and if Bridgestone proved the rubber to have today then that could be yet another factor to affect the outcome.

The rain really started falling as they lined up for the start and Rossi got a terrible run off the line while Gibernau led Melandri and Bayliss through the early stages of lap one. Max Biaggi failed to make the end of the first lap after going for a slide down the road but was making an effort to get his Honda up and going again. Gibernau started pulling away from the field almost immediately while Barros moved up to second place by the end of the first lap and Rossi then took his turn at pressuring Marco Melandri. Bayliss started the second lap in fifth place ahead of Colin Edwards. Ruben Xaus ended his race in the kitty litter while running 11th. Rossi got the better of Melandri but his Yamaha was having an occasional dangerous twitch from the rear. Kenny Roberts had made his way up to 8th spot in the opening two laps after starting the race from 16th on the grid. Nicky Hayden went for a slide and remounted his machine to saunter back to pit lane. Rossi was the fastest man on lap two and moved past Barros for second place and was keen to not let Gibernau get too far away.

Melandri then went for a slide and the carnage also took Bayliss down and only seconds later race leader Sete Gibernau ended his race in the kitty litter. Alex Barros looked likely to be the one to take the race to Rossi, what better way for the Brazilian to celebrate his 250th race start than with a win! Kenny Roberts was the mover and shaker however and with 25 laps to run had moved up to third place and his Suzuki team-mate John Hopkins was also putting in a great showing to have moved up to fourth place. While Shane Byrne was the real surprise package with his KTM engined Proton Team KR running in sixth place.

Rossi was flicked up out of the seat which lost him a little time and Barros pounced to take the lead and a lap later John Hopkins took Roberts, then Rossi, then Barros to promote himself into the lead. Riders down and out included Gibernau, Nakano, Biaggi, Melandri, Bayliss, Hayden and Xaus.

Colin Edwards had picked up his pace a little to join the leading group and turn it into a five-way battle for the lead and with 22 laps to run it was Alex Barros leading the race once again with John Hopkins, Valentino Rossi, Kenny Roberts and Colin Edwards in close proximity. A lap later John Hopkins made a small mistake which shuffled him to the back of that leading pack while Kenny Roberts had moved past Rossi for second place. Hopkins went for a slide down the road on the next lap and attempted to remount but lost a number of position in the process which reduced the leading pack to only four riders with 20 laps to run with Barros leading Roberts, Rossi and Edwards while Tamada was the next best some 13 seconds adrift in fifth place. Hopkins had got up and running again in eighth place.

Edwards got the better of his team-mate on lap ten and then put a move on Roberts for second but couldn't hold the position for long as both Roberts and Rossi pushed him back to fourth place shortly afterwards. Edwards then lost a lot of ground through some sort of problem or mistake while John Hopkins returned to the pits on his Suzuki following that slide down the road a couple of laps earlier. Edwards had lost a couple of seconds through that earlier mistake but then started putting in some very fast laps to narrow the gap back down to virtually nothing. Barros continued to lead the way from Roberts and Rossi made a mistake and ran wide which allowed Edwards to get the better of him and with 17 laps to go that mistake had put Rossi around three seconds behind the leading pack.

Both the Gauloises Yamaha men on soft compound Michelin wets at both ends while Barros had selected a medium compound Michelin wet on the rear and a soft on the front. Kenny Roberts on a medium compound Bridgestone front and soft rear.

Rossi put his head down to make that gap back up to surpass his team-mate for third position and then took second place from Kenny Roberts to close onto the tail of Barros to let them all know that he was certainly not going to be happy to settle for points.

Edwards then lost a little ground while Barros, Rossi and and Roberts were running in real close quarters. Carlos Checa had moved up to fifth place and was running a hot pace to try and close the gap to the leaders but was nine seconds behind Edwards with nine laps remaining.

Rossi hit the lead with seven laps to run with a tidy inside move on Barros under brakes and went on to put in the fastest lap of the race thus far and he was clearly trying with the rear Michelin on his Yamaha breaking away quite regularly as the Italian put in a huge effort to break away from his pursuers which is exactly what he did. He then went a second faster gain on the next time around to stretch his lead out to a full three seconds as Kenny Roberts looked for a way past Alex Barros.

Rossi continued to pull away as the laps counted down and with five laps to run he had made the advantage a full five seconds and it looked all over bar the shouting with Rossi set on his way to his seventh GP victory at the Donington circuit.

Roberts was trying hard to try and get Barros for second place but a slide onto the main straight with three laps to run lost him plenty of drive and cost him dearly as it gave Barros the chance to escape from his clutches. To his credit Roberts put in a big effort on the next lap to close right onto the tailpipe of Barros again to make it a fight all the way to the line and even was backing the Suzuki in to some of the turns in the diabolical conditions.

As they got the last lap board Rossi was out on his own and only a big mistake could rob him of a stunning victory while Roberts was still nipping at the heels of Barros in his quest for second place. Edwards had lost touch with them a little in fourth place. Roberts made his move on Barros with half a lap to run and kept the advantage to the line for a great second place finish.

Valentino Rossi's win combined with the lack of points for his main challengers in the championship from this race has seen him extend his championship lead to an incredible 104 point advantage. It is fair to say that only lots of broken bones and/or machine failures can stop him from taking yet another title in succession. Yamaha will be very pleased with their investment and also very pleased with new team member Colin Edwards who thanks to a good run of results of late has now moved up to third place in the series and is only two points away from making it a Yamaha 1-2 in the rider's championship standings. Yamaha now lead the constructor's championship by 33 points and the Gauloises Yamaha squad are running away to an almost unassailable lead in the team points race.

Race Result

1. Rossi
2. Roberts 3.1secs
3. Barros 4secs
4. Edwards 10secs
5. Checa 13secs
6. Capirossi 23secs
7. Tamada 37secs
8. Hoffman 44secs
9. Elias 1 lap
10. Rolfo 1 lap
11. Hopkins 2 laps

Championship Points

1. Rossi 211
2. Melandri 107
3. Edwards 106
4. Biaggi 100

Constructor's Points

1. Yamaha 215
2. Honda 182
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 10:32 AM
No Crying Allowed

Well it doesn't start here until 2:00pm and it's 9:30am now..... I guess I shouldn't have opened this thread... Oh well fuck it!! Although there are 3 other AMA races live I believe...

My day from 11:00am until 4:00pm----watching motorcycle racing on speed....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER
Well it doesn't start here until 2:00pm and it's 9:30am now..... I guess I shouldn't have opened this thread... Oh well fuck it!! Although there are 3 other AMA races live I believe...

My day from 11:00am until 4:00pm----watching motorcycle racing on speed....

LOL just enough time for a quick ride, then plant it on the couch for the rest of the day w00t !!!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 10:36 AM

edwards is now 3rd in points? that's cool. too bad for hopper though, would rather see him there instead of krjr.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 10:58 AM

Does anyone have the race link for URL ? thanks
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 11:00 AM
No Crying Allowed

Look in the video section, it takes a little while to get posted up though...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER
Look in the video section, it takes a little while to get posted up though...
Thanks R1 :
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 12:23 PM

Way to blow it for everyone!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve04R1
Way to blow it for everyone!

Who told you to click on this thread... there is no result on the title...
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 01:12 PM

The race / ROSSI SPLASHES TO SEVENTH WIN FROM NINE AT DONINGTON
Gauloises Yamaha rider Valentino Rossi extended his advantage at the top of the MotoGP World Championship to 104 points, with his seventh victory from nine races this season in the British Grand Prix today. The Italian splashed his way through several centimetres of standing water and lashings of torrential rain to clinch his fourth MotoGP win at Donington Park after a treacherous race that saw no fewer than eleven riders crash. Rossi didn’t get the best of starts as he dropped from pole position to seventh but fought his way back to the front by the fourth lap. A slight mistake at the midway point saw him lose ground on the lead group but two fast laps brought him back into contention. Another burst from the Italian seven laps from the end shaved over 2 seconds from the fastest lap of the race up to that point and left Kenny Roberts (Suzuki) and Alex Barros (Honda) trailing in his wake. Rossi’s Gauloises Yamaha team-mate Colin Edwards joined in the battle for a top three finish but settled with fourth place at the end of the intense race, another solid points haul moving him up to third in the championship, just one point behind Marco Melandri (Honda), who crashed out of the race.

VALENTINO ROSSI (1st; 1’45.377)

“That was one of the most difficult races of my career – the conditions were incredible. It was very, very cold and the track was very slippery. At the beginning I was lucky because I made a mistake on the start and spun the tyre but after that I came back fast to the front. Biaggi crashed in front of me, then Gibernau… there were a lot of people making mistakes, also me, so I preferred to wait. Alex had a good rhythm so I stayed behind him but I made a mistake at the chicane when I was fighting with Kenny and locked the brakes. Today was not like riding a bike, it was like riding a boat because there was a lot of water between the wheels and the track – always spinning the rear and locking the front. I tried to understand the points where I could push more and said to myself: ‘Now I try and we see what happens!’ I was able to go a lot faster and keep the advantage. It was a great job by the team because the bike worked well even though we only had 20 minutes this morning to find the wet-weather set-up. Yesterday when I looked at my best lap time I thought it was like a symphony of violins – perfect, so I decided that if I won I would do this celebration across the finish line!”

COLIN EDWARDS (4th; + 10.292)

“After the warm-up I was a bit down because it wasn’t great. We made some changes to the spring settings but we weren’t really sure whether it was the right option. Anyway, I got out on the warm-up lap and the balance of the bike was awesome. The race was basically a case of survival. My start wasn’t as good as it might have looked and the pace felt really slow to start with, but then it picked up and it was a pretty eventful first few laps. Then the front locked when I was braking in a straight line and I almost ended up in the dirt! I caught up very quickly but about 12 laps from the end I had another scary moment and the bike spat me up out of my seat, so I thought about the situation and decided to wait and see what happened in front of me. Towards the end I was keeping an eye on Checa behind me because he was quite close. The points are really important; it’s great to have moved into third place and to be so close to Melandri. It wasn’t the result we wanted, but I’m really pleased with what we’ve achieved this weekend.”

DAVIDE BRIVIO – GAULOISES YAMAHA TEAM DIRECTOR

“Another special win! Every time Valentino races there is something special about it – today it was those two incredibly fast laps when he needed them at the end. All the way through he rode unbelievably well and it was amazing to watch. Colin also rode really well today and both riders scored important points for the championship. Now Colin is very close to second place so we hope to continue with the trend of having both riders at the front. A big thank you to the whole team, they are working really well together and it shows in our results.”

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 01:28 PM

awsome pics
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 04:28 PM

It was a great race, hopefully we'll be able to see a Yamaha 1 and 2 finish at the end of the year for the championship
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 05:00 PM
Ta Moko

Rossi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36667594319tb_117.jpg (84.6 KB, 24 views)

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 05:22 PM

lol nice shop!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode