Technique Questions, Comments, Advice...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

Quick Flick

After attending the Code school, I did come away with the impression that there is yet something more that I need to improve with my riding (it never ends). I ride fast, but I spend too much time leaned over. I turn in quick, but not quick enough. I followed their fastest guy around Mid Ohio for a few laps and WOW, from vertical to full lean takes about .05 seconds. Its like.....BAM!

I guess flicking quicker means adjusting turn in points and a couple other things. Just more to learn I guess. I'm glad I went to the school though, I was really skeptical especially since i had to take level 1. But, I resolved to just do the drills and try to leave there learning one good thing. It turns out the quick flick was it, thats my new thing to work on.

Not sure if I will go back for II, III, and IV. I agreed with some of the stuff they taught, but some of the other stuff kind of had me wondering a bit. All in all it was a good experience though.

Oh yea, I will say that if possible I will never ride at Mid Ohio again. The track layout is great, but the surface S-U-C-K-S.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 08:26 AM

thats one of the things people always said about me when i was on the track.
slam the bike down into the corner, no sense wasting time......

and the code school is definately one that many people have many different opinions about.

some like it, some don't.

personally, i was never a big fan of his.......
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Budha
thats one of the things people always said about me when i was on the track.
slam the bike down into the corner, no sense wasting time......

and the code school is definately one that many people have many different opinions about.

some like it, some don't.

personally, i was never a big fan of his.......
Yea, its just a mental thing I have to overcome. Making myself (without thinking) push hard to turn the bike in NOW. I'm a bit lazy with that I guess (relative to guys who really turn quick).

There was no shining light and great revelations while at the school, but I did walk away with a tip. I'm guessing I probably could have had a fast guy follow me at a trackday and came away with the same information. Ah well, I'd been kicking the idea of going around for 5 years, so I figured why not just do it.

For the newb track rider I think it would be a great experience.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 03:48 PM

the need to 'quick flick' depends on the lines you ride. if you're used to enter the corner early you don't need to flick quickly. if you enter late you do. I guess the 'ability' to do the quick flick has nothing to do with skills (unless you're not that fast anyway), but with vision-technics. just enter the corner late and look in the right direction and you'll automatically flick your bike faster.

personally I noticed a difference in flick speed between 'working on steering input' and 'working on body position and looking through the corner'. when focusing on the first I'm slower...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

I agree, it depends on the corner as well. But....I wouldn't say just looking will make you flick faster. You have to know to apply more pressure to the bar to get it to flick harder.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 02:08 PM

hence the remark "unless you're not that fast anyway" ...

I really believe that by looking at the right time, in the right direction, you'll naturally flick the bike as fast as needed (with extra force if needed).

and don't forget the help of you outer knee and elbow, both aganst the tank, to pull the bike in the right direction ... and your foot on the inside peg to help push the bike down ... and your bodyweight ... they don't call it a sport for nothing
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 10:13 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
more pressure on the bar or on the inside footpeg? didn't he teach you bodystearing? j/k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode