Technique Questions, Comments, Advice...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Anyone have any drills for keeping your vision up?

I dont know why but I have regressed on where I am looking when on the track. It is making me slower and actually really upsetting the bike.
It is so obvious because I am 4-5 seconds faster per lap during a race when I have the faster group 2 turns ahead of me and I'm watching them. I run A LOT faster and the Bike feels 100x better than it does when I'm running practice laps.
I try to keep my eyes up but then I follow the apex in and never stay on my line.

SO FRUSTRATING. anyone have any drills? I'll be flipping through my few racing books to see what they say.

THanks guys. I'm sure budha and firehawk and the other racers/ experienced track guys can chime in a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 09:02 PM
FAsT BOYS

i look at the back tire of the guy in front of me
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

I've about had it up to here *points to head, with your comments lately mister!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 09:12 PM
FAsT BOYS

hahahaha
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 09:13 PM
FAsT BOYS

just trying to help. how come you arent answering your phone today
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 09:13 PM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
check out the guys ass on the bike infront of ya.. and pretend if you get infront of him you can give him a little :smileysex :smileysex

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 09:15 PM

it's very common for people to be faster when following than when leading.
This is because you not only have a target to watch, but you have incentive.

The very best thing that i can recommend is to know the track, know your line, and try to keep a mental "pace" count and hit your marks on those counts.

it was always frustrating to me that i ususally dropped anywhere from 0.5 to 2 seconds a lap when just crusing solo....

boredom maybe?

another possibility is to practice getting there "just ahead" of the last time.

There are times when the brain is occupied during racing, but if you can train yourself to count mentally and hit mnarks, that should allow you to at least maintain your pace, and many times will help you speed up.

the other thing is to relax.

it shluldnt take a lot of knowing effort to do things.....

if your expending effort, than you arent gonna be fast.....

when people are ahead of you, and you can see them, you can occupy that other portion of your brain, just like the pacing can, and this means that you can "think less and race more" as i was once told.

its funny, but your brain, especially if you are used to using it all the time in work etc, can really get in the way of riding to your potential. And i dont just mean by saying "oh fuck, slow down" but more in the type of "oh look, a daisy" type way.....

distractions can be real or imagined, but unless you can occupy yourself mentally, your brain will try to do so on its own due to the overload in some areas (like the sight portion) and the relative lack of load on the others.

ever notice you dont smell anything while racing?
I didnt until someone mentioned it to me.......

brain shut that part down and "used others" ......
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 10:48 PM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinn View Post
check out the guys ass on the bike infront of ya.. and pretend if you get infront of him you can give him a little :smileysex :smileysex
You know how i know your GAY!

post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Good Post buddha thanks man. You may be right I need to relax a little. The only things I remember thinking about while I'm in a race is controlling my breathing and then relaxing my body when I'm on a straight so I dont get tired.

I will try to clear my head a little next time.

Snair sorry i was in the Gym when you called then was on the phone with Pond, she's at the US embassy right now so things are crazy.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 10:51 PM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
do you run a lap timer ? and do you evaluate every corner after a run to see what you did or did not do.? concentrate on exiting the corner ..not entering it.

post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

No1,
Thats an interesting idea I dont understand why though? If I dont concentrate on entry I'm usually braking too early and turning in too early. From my admittedly limited experience if enter properly exiting is a cinch. but if you come in crappy then the exit is already botched before you get there.

Yes I have a lap timer
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

I wish I could evaluate every corner but thats like 100 corners per run.. I only remember the really bad ones.
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 11:05 PM
Master of Sergeants

true true...true... I guess what I mean Is dont ONLY concentrate on the entrance.... the exit is REALLY important too ... when Im coming up on a turn I look out of it as soon as ive made all the decisions about going into it....keeps my eyes off the deck or stuck on a certain object in the turn....

post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 03:00 AM
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
I tend to focus on other riders rather then myself lol thats probably why I never push it hard enough.
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

No1,
I see what your saying I really try to focus on the breaking points and as soon as I start to turn I "try" to look all the way to the next corner, but lately I'm look up but am concentrating on the apex as its coming in.
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

SNair I see you looking at this thread I need your comments ding dong!
post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 10:31 AM
FAsT BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONE View Post
I've about had it up to here *points to head, with your comments lately mister!
i was chastised for my earlier comments so i was being quiet. haha as i become more comfortable on that track sometimes i catch myself looking all over. during race 1 as i was coming thru 5 i was looking thru and then up in the sky at a hawk or some shit that was hovering. i catch myself looking at the apex, exit across track everywhere. damn must learn to concentrate and get faster. haha
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snair View Post
i was chastised for my earlier comments so i was being quiet. haha as i become more comfortable on that track sometimes i catch myself looking all over. during race 1 as i was coming thru 5 i was looking thru and then up in the sky at a hawk or some shit that was hovering. i catch myself looking at the apex, exit across track everywhere. damn must learn to concentrate and get faster. haha
I'm racing my dad's gixxer next year just so I can chase you!
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 09:34 PM
FAsT BOYS

what do you mean chase me, your laps are faster already on your r6
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Ok ok I know you dont talk Shit outright but this is almot worse when "oh no you're faster" "I'm fat and slow" " Look at Stone trying to be ricky racer on his cute pastell bike" then you bring the hammer down on the track. Remember what happened last time you start saying "I dont talk shit, it was them guys!!" .... Turn one in the dirt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode