Technique Questions, Comments, Advice...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS RACING

Knee pain while riding?

Any of you guys suffer from knee discomfort while riding? I think this is the single biggest handicap I have is that I can only be 100% comfortable for about 5 minutes before I really start to ache? I've pretty much just chalked it up to having big legs that dont like to be folded but I need to do something. I'm going to have my suit let out in a few places which I hope helps and then I need to keep stretching this winter. Then I'll Icy Hot those babies before each session.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 01:15 PM
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
yeah i feel ya. It gets pretty bad when I start riding. I get alot of pains behind the knee.. Stretching helps alot for me but doesnt always do it. Have you tried taking Ibprofen? Anti-inflamatory and reduces pain
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 01:24 PM
7c Forever

or lowering your rearsets some.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 04:47 PM
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
I've been battling pain in my knees for about 6mo. I found it partly is due because of (I hate to say it) poor form while riding. I was putting too much weght on my inside leg while cornering. When i started to relax that leg and use my outside leg more to support myself the pain lessoned. That's partly why I asked about the joint supplements. I did go see a doctor. He ruled out arthritis in me, but said my tendon going over the kneecap was inflamed and was the cause. I get my pain above the kneecaps over the top, and Is worse when i have been siting still (like long rides on the freeway) Icyhot helps me somewhat, but I find using a heat pack is best. Ice seems to tighten me up, and makes the pain worse..

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 05:31 PM
we meat again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
or lowering your rearsets some.
Like Jr. stated, adjust your riding position...

Or get a bigger bike...

¤ più forte non si può . WLF viva la figa
¤ In 2006 I lost because of bad luck; I still won the most races and was the fastest on track for most of the time... Last year I was sorry that
after so many successful years, some people thought Valentino was finished and Casey was the new Valentino. ~ The Doctor '08
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS RACING

thanks guys. I have sato's on the lowest setting I may even go backto stock to try it.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS RACING

Tony thats interesting I put probably 90% of my weight on my inside foot.. is this not correct? I could lift my outter foot off the peg easily midcorner. I thought you were supposed to put most your weight there? I do notice that when I'm riding horribly and tense I get cramps in my hands really quickly but even when I do feel lose and relaxed I still have a lot of weight on my inside foot.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 05:27 PM
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
Quote:
Originally Posted by STONE View Post
Tony thats interesting I put probably 90% of my weight on my inside foot.. is this not correct? I could lift my outter foot off the peg easily midcorner. I thought you were supposed to put most your weight there? I do notice that when I'm riding horribly and tense I get cramps in my hands really quickly but even when I do feel lose and relaxed I still have a lot of weight on my inside foot.
I was told that correct form was to put your weight on the outside leg accross the tank when cornering. Since I changed, I have less knee pain while riding, and I'm less likely to loose my foothold on the outside peg while mid corner. Try this: next time you go practice at the track, and in a good sweeper, pull your outside leg against the tank,and relax the inside leg. I bet you find some of the pressure on you knees go away. With a bit of time and practice I bet you'll feel more stable too.

The difference for me is being able to ride for about 4-5 extra hours on the weekend. With the breaks betwen groups at the track, I can ride all day and only have tired knees, instead of sore ones.

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 02:54 AM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
I m just old ..so every thing hurts after I ride! but I still love it!

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 09:14 PM

i think i know the knee pain you're talking about. i had the exact same thing when i start my first trackday. i was putting about 80% of my weight on my inside leg.. since then i've tried to put more of my weight on my outside leg and this has help tremendously. i also find that when my inside leg is stressed, i lose concentration and end up tensing my arms to hold myself up which makes me ride like crap. once in awhile i'll do a double check on my handgrip and how tense my arms are, making sure that they're nice and relaxed.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 09:11 AM
Dirt Rider :)

I don't know much about bikes but when something hurts a rider on a bicycle that means he needs to change the riding position
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS RACING

Hmm in the classes I've taken we've done drills where we practice taking our outside hand and then foot off the peg mid corner...

Huh I'll look into it because I need to hcange something.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 08:57 AM
Old and fast...

Aleve is your friend....three in the am and three in the pm...

Steve
'11 Green Kawi ZX-10R ABS
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 04:49 AM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Older Guy View Post
Aleve is your friend....three in the am and three in the pm...
YESSS i see you know the Secret!

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
i get sore riding mine also. they aren't meant for comfort. my knees from sports already have issues. just something i have to adapt to i know what you mean stone. sports in the past then bikes...they do not mix! on the straight away just do the superman and lean on the tank and let your legs dangle out and flap behind the back of the bike. extending the legs definately helps the knee pain you might look retarded on the track, but it will help the pain

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 01:10 AM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
Cool

Okaaaayy..am I missing something here..

:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hayden_07PIT_0769_AN.jpg (54.1 KB, 2 views)

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 06:50 AM
BANNED

sports in the past then bikes...I did go see a doctor. He ruled out arthritis in me, but said my tendon going over the kneecap was inflamed and was the cause. I get my pain above the kneecaps over the top, and Is worse when i have been siting still (like long rides on the freeway) Icyhot helps me somewhat, but I find using a heat pack is best.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 10:16 PM

There are several reasons of knee pain while you driving on bike. Personally I must say, check your bike seat flexion, it should be 5 to 10 degrees, or search from any related site the accurate degrees. Meanwhile, try to use healthy diet for knee pain, as I heard rice are best to use while facing knee pain.
There is no need to go to any doctor for further treatment please...

air ticket booking | marina bay sands singapore | olympicairlines.net - olympic airlines

Last edited by Brad555; 12-26-2013 at 03:07 AM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:59 AM

Two things helped me with pain in my right knee: 1. wearing a patellar strap while riding; 2. keeping my foot with the heel rised, resting it on my toes when not pushing the break.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode